Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1313 View Post
Babyboomers are so greedy, they had everything soooooo easy and now they don't want to move so the young ones can make a living... It is not about rejecting seniors. They can volunteer or start they own businesses.
I just cringe everytime I hear someone say the word "greedy" It seems that the only people that use the word are those that are themselves greedy.

Here are some observations:

Just because someone is holding on to a job does not mean that some one else will get that job. Duties could be assigned to other employees. Changes in the structure could happen. No guarentees are made in business that anything will happen.

Older workers provide experience to an organization that is not always prevalent in the younger generation. The fact is that it will more than likely cost an organization quite a bit to replace an older worker.

I find it interesting that you would think that babyboomers had it so easy. Could you please explain that to me so I can understand where you are coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 03:25 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1313 View Post
Babyboomers are so greedy, they had everything soooooo easy and now they don't want to move so the young ones can make a living... It is not about rejecting seniors. They can volunteer or start they own businesses.
Young people can start their own business. I probably won't retire either as I think I'd get bored pretty fast.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:26 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Home Depot hire retired electricians and plumbers and carpenters because they know what is needed for the project that the customer is doing. They do not hire some young person who has no idea about the trades. That's why you don't see a bunch of young people. If you do they are helpers and warehouse help. It's called experance good for Home Depot business.
Well....not really.

I worked for their primary competitor and frankly it isn't true. The thing is who specifically takes the liability for given advice? More importantly how much validity can one provide for providing free advice?

Back in the day when the threat of lawsuits was small this was not that big of a deal. Today it is pretty large.

These days it is not insulting to ask someone to use the internet. There are videos that pretty much wave liabilities to do any type of diy project. Either someone is a diy'er or they are contractor. There is no real middle. If someone actually does ask for advice simply ask for them to write it down as frankly verbal advice will not work that well. In some cases depending on state laws home owners might not actually be able to perform the work on their house that they think they can do. Lastly is that building codes vary per local government and receiving code on a secondhand basis is never a good idea. Check with the local government first.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:32 PM

56 posts, read 56,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I just cringe everytime I hear someone say the word "greedy" It seems that the only people that use the word are those that are themselves greedy.

Here are some observations:

Just because someone is holding on to a job does not mean that some one else will get that job. Duties could be assigned to other employees. Changes in the structure could happen. No guarentees are made in business that anything will happen.

Older workers provide experience to an organization that is not always prevalent in the younger generation. The fact is that it will more than likely cost an organization quite a bit to replace an older worker.

I find it interesting that you would think that babyboomers had it so easy. Could you please explain that to me so I can understand where you are coming from.
Funny that you can evidence a personality trait because I used the word greedy. So let's play the same game, I assume you are a baby-boomer?

I don't have to explain where I come from to reinforce my statement. Everything was easy because the competence was not that hard when they were young, the income level was higher compared to today's wages and the education requirements to secure a job didn't ask for a Master's for an entry level vacancy.

Companies are dynamic organisms that need to regenerate. No one is indispensable.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:32 PM

435 posts, read 635,213 times
Um, a person who won't retire from his job is not "greedy".

Greedy is wanting to have things that aren't rightfully yours.

If someone wants to do honest work for a living, this is NOT greedy.

Nobody has to move out and give their job to someone else.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:44 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Hmmm...

Are jobs plentiful where you all live? I thought that wasn't the case so much anymore.

Where I work, we changed the ordinance to stop retirees from holding part time positions. Why? Jobs were scarce enough....why would we pay someone a pension AND a part time paycheck? These part time positions could go to someone with no income coming in at all.

I could see if the retirees could barely support themselves. But if you can live comfortably on your retirement, why take away a paid position from someone else? How is that not greedy?

And doesn't volunteering prevent boredom as well as a paid position?

Last edited by mochamajesty; 10-03-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 04:48 PM

720 posts, read 765,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I hope to be one of those older people that never quits working. My goal is to put in at least another 40 years here. That will get me to 89 years of age. I love what I do and have no desire to leave. I could see me doing this when I am 105.
I love your enthusiasm, do you mind me asking what you do?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:07 PM

720 posts, read 765,589 times
[quote=mochamajesty;36739276]Hmmm...

I could see if the retirees could barely support themselves.
quote]

A lot of people who are retired, fall into that category. I think you'd find the amount of people working because they just want to keep active are not necessarily enough to warrant your statement.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:07 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Work, don't work, but if you do work please be competent.
We have a couple of older workers who just can't keep up (well past retirement age) and they look to co-workers to help them out or cover for them. Top brass is aware but reluctant to do anything other than hope that these workers will eventually realize they just don't cut it anymore and leave on their own. In the meantime these once beloved employees are turning into a headache for the others who find themselves burdened with the extra work. All because those older folks want to feel like they still matter, or because they don't want to be bored and alone at home.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-03-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
[quote=Kay Effzee;36739493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Hmmm...

I could see if the retirees could barely support themselves.
quote]

A lot of people who are retired, fall into that category. I think you'd find the amount of people working because they just want to keep active are not necessarily enough to warrant your statement.
Well, obviously a lot of retirees fall into that category.

My comment was directed specifically to the people on this thread rather than retirees as a whole.

I don't remember too many people on this thread stating that they are destitute...they are working because they want to.

What is the exact number to warrant my statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment