Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which situation in better?
Job you love, Region you hate 17 43.59%
Region you love, Job you hate 22 56.41%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm in a job that is okay and kinda pays the bills and living in a place I HATE!

So, as of this very moment I would like to have a job I can tolerate in a place I want to live. I can always keep my eyes open for another job. It's not so easy to move.

But, I've also had terrible jobs in places I like and that sucks too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 02:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
If you aren't making any money you can't enjoy where you live!

Old 10-02-2014, 02:41 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
Depends if we're talking about a 40 hr/week job (or close to it), or if it's some "great" job that involves living at work.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Depends if the job is terrible because of the pay, the people, the hours, or the type of work.

Personally:

I'd pick a job that was so so, making 150k a year, in a so so city

over

A job I love, making 40k a year, in a city I love..

I lived in a city I really liked for about 7 months one time. I was so broke the whole time that it made it hard. I had a blast, made the most of it, and took advantage, but it wouldn't work for me in the long run.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Love of job.

You can find good in almost every place on the planet if you care to look. Finding the perfect job is much harder. Plus if you're miserable from work, you're not going to be in the mental/emotional place to enjoy it anyways.
Totally agree!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
I don't think either choice would work for me for very long. Either way I'd be hating something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
So, as of this very moment I would like to have a job I can tolerate in a place I want to live. I can always keep my eyes open for another job. It's not so easy to move.
If I had to make a choice it would be this ^. I hate moving too and if the job is at least tolerable, I can enjoy my time off work while looking for another job.

I had a job I really liked, but it was so cold where I was living and there was no sun! I think I might have Seasonal Affective Disorder and I felt like hibernating for 5 months of the year. I feel so much better and have much more energy after moving to a sunnier place.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
A job you love, then take frequent vacations to the place you love.

When you retire, move there.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
The logical choice would be to move to a region you love, and find a job you love. Relocating to a region you love will require you to gain new employment anyways, and whatever job you love now is not the only good one in the world. It may take a few job hops to find another good one, but if you have the emotional endurance and the bank account to support it...

Old 10-02-2014, 08:07 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'd prefer the job. Not hating life for eight hours or more a day helps.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I think I'd rather have a job I hate instead of live in a place I hate. Like someone else mentioned, most of us work to LIVE. And even though we spend at least 40 hours a week working, the majority of the time, you're actually not at work. I mean, you get weekends, etc. Work is just a means to an end, in my opinion, to the extent that it doesn't pose any safety or health issues. I mean, what if the OP asked the question, "would you rather live in a place you hate and have NO job? or would you rather live in a place you love and have a job?" My point is....having no job (given unlimited wealth) is better than having a job you enjoy. It's human nature to not want to work, and maximize enjoyment in life. So yeah, I'd rather have a job I hate and live in a place I love.

Right now I'm in a situation where I'm really happy with my job, but NOT happy with the area I live in. It sucks. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment