Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:28 AM

34,848 posts, read 30,936,012 times

Advertisements

In jobs where there is an hourly supervisor below a salaried manager, the salaried manager may be the HR/administrative contact, but doesn't oversee or talk to you on a day-to-day basis. That's how it was in the call centers I worked at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 10:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,479,550 times
I think the people saying they seldom speak to their manager are missing the point, as you're talking about someone you directly report to. Boosane's manager is the supervisor. The supervisor probably reports to the Team Manager, and would have more of a reason to speak to him.

That's the chain of command and how it generally goes. The Team Manager could make time to stop by and ask how it's going, but beyond that, there isn't going to be a lot of interaction between the two of you.

It shouldn't bother you and if it does, you should try and figure out why it does.

Last edited by MPowering1; 10-03-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 10:12 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,970,624 times
Ahhh. The boss's boss. I talk to him about as often as I talk to my direct supervisor. In the other direction, I speak casually to the people who are 2-3 tiers below me, but very rarely about work performance or assignments. If I did, it would be undermining their supervisor, confusing lines of authority, and adding a lot of unnecessary work to myself.

If nothing else, while I oversee their departments, I don't know the daily details of their jobs. It would be inappropriate and counter productive for me to micromanage.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:29 AM

56 posts, read 56,198 times
The less, the better (if it is not work related). You are paid for doing your job not for having a chit-chat with them everyday.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,749,907 times
It depends how your job is set up. You can have to talk about any thing with managers, others just talk when you get in to let you know what is up and ask "how are you?" It depends on their personality. Some are no non-sense others are more personable. I've seen this with the various managers/supervisors I've had. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,582,828 times
The last full time job I had the manager and supervisor were the same person. I had to start scheduling meetings to get his attention. Unless there was something pressing, we would talk once a month. Sometimes a week would go by and I wouldn't even see him to wave at him. I did my job. I was good at it. The only time I needed management was when I encountered something I couldn't handle, and that was rare. The only time they wanted to meet with me was when they wanted to saddle me with more work, or to review my quarterly report. Everything else was handled by memo, either paper or email. Expenses, professional dues, etc. were all handled by paper and automatically approved.

Everything went well until my boss quit and his replacement didn't have the foggiest idea what I did. I couldn't get his attention long enough to educate him.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:44 PM

917 posts, read 1,376,101 times
I see my manager everyday and theres days when I dont speak to him. Just good morning or see you tomorrow. He stays in his office most of the time and if not that, hes out traveling since he overseas other locations around the US

Old 10-03-2014, 05:45 PM

310 posts, read 683,103 times
FWIW, I meet with the team I supervise once a week for an hour and I meet with each individual I supervise once a month for an hour. We have very low turn-over but when I do get a new direct report I meet with that individual once a week for an hour. We gradually change the meeting schedule to once every two weeks and finally to monthly meetings once the person has been in the position for ~6 months.

Even though we all work in the same building we are spread out across two floors. It's not unusual for me to only talk to the people who are on the other floor once a week during the team meet. Obviously there are email exchanges outside of the meeting and occasional phone calls.

I have an open-door policy which means that if the door to my office is open anyone is welcome to stroll in and talk about anything they want to talk about. When my office door is closed that's a do-not-disturb sign.

We talk when needed but we don't casually shoot the breeze, we are all just too busy for that.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,338,474 times
i went six years without even seeing or talking to my boss, secretary send me emails, where i had to go, and that was it

Old 10-03-2014, 06:45 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,688,107 times
Open door policies are common today, figure out if your company has one and don't be afraid to ask questions...unless your manager is a person you get afraid of by just looking at them? Those exist, in that event I can't help really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment