Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:11 PM

310 posts, read 685,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planning View Post
The EEOC is out of control.

Soon employers will have to start picking their employees by picking names out of a hat.
Could not agree more. A business owner should have the right to hire, and more importantly not hire, anyone s/he wants. If I were to open an Chinese restaurant, I would only hire Chinese wait staff for the authentic experience, but doing so overly would be against the law. Instead I have to make **** up and manipulate the numbers to in effect only hire Chinese (or Chinese-American) workers.

**** EEOC, seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
Businesses have the right to hire who they want, but if you are using a personality test to winnow down applications that has questions that have nothing to do with the qualifications and ability of those applying for the job, well there may be a problem. Applications are being kicked out by the computer using these tests before a human lays eyes on them-and that's where the process has a fault.
According to the article, Whole Foods quit using these because the applicants that the tests highly marked didn't match up to the jobs whole foods needed them for.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Some of the folks posting in this thread apparently haven't noticed the complaints in other threads from introverts who suspect that these tests are weeding them out of the candidate pool for jobs.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:05 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Not an introvert might be a valid job requirement for some jobs requiring customer contact and sales skills.

The tests I have seen are ones where a production worker applicant must have knowledge qualifying them for the most skilled jobs in a line of progression (a job that under ideal economic conditions that might be available 15-20 years hence) or 'honesty' tests in retail. I actually had a situation where an employer engaged a psychologist who used the MMPI (there the employee sued and the employer caved when it turned out that the 'psychologist' was practicing without a license).

Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I'm on the autistic spectrum (Asperger's) so personality tests are not really OK with me. I am the way I am through no fault of my own, and I have worked extremely hard over the years to project the appearance and behavior of a "neurotypical." I can see through the questions on psychological screens, but it's more difficult for me to figure out what a potential employer wants me to say on a personality test.

Since I don't work in sales or customer service, I don't see how a personality test is relevant to my employability...as long as I'm not an a-hole or a sociopath (which I'm not).

Old 10-04-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Since I don't work in sales or customer service, I don't see how a personality test is relevant to my employability...as long as I'm not an a-hole or a sociopath (which I'm not).
Shouldn't an employer be able to exclude people with certain personality traits from employment? Even if for no other reason that they simply don't want people with those traits?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Shouldn't an employer be able to exclude people with certain personality traits from employment? Even if for no other reason that they simply don't want people with those traits?
That's what an interview is for.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:16 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Most people answer how they *think* the employer wants them to answer. Or they answer how they *think* they act but in actuality, a potential employee may lack the self-awareness to give reality based answers. In sum, potential employees lie a lot on tests like these. Its similar to "padding the resume." The liars have an advantage whereas steadfast honest people and/or concrete thinkers (as it doesn't occur to them to lie) are at a huge disadvantage.

This makes these tests useless in many instances.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's what an interview is for.
Sure, but while the MBTI isn't a good test there are certainly ways to pre-screen employees electronically before wasting time on an interview. If someone who's truly good gets pre-screened out by mistake, so what, for every false positive there are tons of qualified people who make it through.

In the end it's a statistics game.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
These tests are BS on so many levels that the only thing they really measure is whether the applicant has researched how to pick the right answers. The idea that you can use a simple multiple choice test can do the job of the BAU team from Criminal Minds is beyond ridiculous. Frankly, the fact that anyone in HR or management can be so easily scammed to put money into this sort of quackery is a disturbing commentary on the critical thinking skills of the people managing American companies.

What these mis-managers are arguing for is the right to waste 1 hour + of time of each applicant on BS. So they are literally wasting 300 hours of job seeker's time per job opening. It is time for government to put limits on the abuses inflicted job applicants. If you want to engage in quackery be like those morons several years back that thought they could slow ageing by drinking urine. Just don't try to force others to drink that urine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search