Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,326,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So compete better. It's still a man's world. If you can't compete against women with the deck still stacked slightly in your favor, get out of the way an make room for someone with a skirt who can imo.

Hard for people who are not Subsidy Kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,472,614 times
I'm not sure about the US but it's kind of similar here too, and my theory is that although more women are going to university, it's usually to study social sciences or something equally as pointless, and since most jobs being created at the moment are part-time and minimum wage - which women disproportionately represent (by a considerable margin) - then it kind of makes sense.

Men, on the other hand, are more likely to study mathematics, science and other intensive courses, and jobs in those fields are harder to come by these days - especially since not as many people are hiring and competition is tight.

Again, just my theory for the UK. Might be different in the US.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM

435 posts, read 633,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
See below response...
Sorry, but the US Bureau of Labor Statistics is not a reliable source for finding out what job outlooks are in many professions, for many reasons. But at any rate, it says job growth is "as fast as average". Which means these jobs are NOT increasing, as was claimed. It means average growth only.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,697,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
WRONG.
Receptionists and secretaries are a declining job field. When was the last time you called a business and talked to a live person? Receptionists are not used anymore. Businesses use automated voice systems.

Anyone who thinks they can easily get a receptionist job is living in the 1950s. These are different times, wake up and smell the coffee folks.

Admin assistant jobs have declined by ten percent and the decline is expected to continue. Many managers no longer use admins. Twenty-five years ago, over half the jobs advertised in newspapers were for admins and secretaries. Not anymore. I used to be in this job field and got out for that very reason. Jobs were declining.
Quote:
Sorry, but the US Bureau of Labor Statistics is not a reliable source for finding out what job outlooks are in many professions, for many reasons. But at any rate, it says job growth is "as fast as average". Which means these jobs are NOT increasing, as was claimed. It means average growth only.
Do you have a reliable source to back up the information in your initial post?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM

I worked as an admin for fifteen years. I have researched the job field thoroughly.
Anyone with half a brain would have figured out a LONG time ago that receptionists are no longer in demand. I am not trying to be sarcastic, but isn't this freaking obvious? When was the last time you called a business and talked to a live person who routed your phone call? For me it was about 20 years ago.

10 jobs in decline through 2020 - Boston.com

Voice recognition technology and Internet directory assistance services will hurt jobs. The movement of jobs to foreign countries, proliferation of cellphones, and consolidation of telephone operator jobs into fewer locations also will continue to negatively impact employment growth. - See more at: 10 jobs in decline through 2020 - Boston.com

The Decline in Administrative Assistants | National Review Online

"Women have been brutally hit when it comes to a category called “office and administrative support occupations,†i.e. those who make workplaces run smoothly. In this occupation, which represents over 17 million workers, women have lost a total of 925,000 jobs while men have gained 204,000 since the recession ended. Looking into quarterly data for the individual job categories that make up this sector, it’s clear that there have been extensive job losses among administrative assistants, secretaries, and others who support their offices:"

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,936,012 times
Quote:
I worked as an admin for fifteen years. I have researched the job field thoroughly.
Anyone with half a brain would have figured out a LONG time ago that receptionists are no longer in demand. I am not trying to be sarcastic, but isn't this freaking obvious? When was the last time you called a business and talked to a live person who routed your phone call? For me it was about 20 years ago.

Voice recognition technology and Internet directory assistance services will hurt jobs. The movement of jobs to foreign countries, proliferation of cellphones, and consolidation of telephone operator jobs into fewer locations also will continue to negatively impact employment growth. - See more at: 10 jobs in decline through 2020 - Boston.com

"Women have been brutally hit when it comes to a category called “office and administrative support occupations,†i.e. those who make workplaces run smoothly. In this occupation, which represents over 17 million workers, women have lost a total of 925,000 jobs while men have gained 204,000 since the recession ended. Looking into quarterly data for the individual job categories that make up this sector, it’s clear that there have been extensive job losses among administrative assistants, secretaries, and others who support their offices:"
As if some male dominated fields also haven't been brutally hit? This cuts both ways.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
As if some male dominated fields also haven't been brutally hit? This cuts both ways.

Oh, but I never said male dominated fields were not brutally hit. I am not interested in "war of the sexes" because its too immature for me. I was simply responding to the post that lots of admin and receptionist jobs were being created during the recession.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Are Administrative Assistants Declining? | News | Beyond.com

"According to David Nicklaus of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, IHS Global Insight, an international economic forecasting firm, reports that many companies found they did not need the support staff they were forced to let go during the economic recession. In fact, between 2007 and 2012, 1.9 million administrative assistant jobs were lost."

Old 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,697,793 times
Quote:

"Women have been brutally hit when it comes to a category called “office and administrative support occupations,” i.e. those who make workplaces run smoothly. In this occupation, which represents over 17 million workers, women have lost a total of 925,000 jobs while men have gained 204,000 since the recession ended. Looking into quarterly data for the individual job categories that make up this sector, it’s clear that there have been extensive job losses among administrative assistants, secretaries, and others who support their offices:"
Even the article doesn't share where it got those numbers from.

In any event, I can certainly buy that administrative/office jobs took a big hit during the recession.

That said, my point was that majority of the job growth (which overall has been anemic across all fields) POST-recession has been in pink-collar fields (including but not limited to administrative and secretarial work), which have been traditionally dominated by women...

Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,751,223 times
Eh... this can be debated for quite some time.

One could argue that more women then men go for degrees and that provides some security.

Others might argue manual labor and factory work although true that has been on the decline since the 1960's.

As I said earlier you do not need a job to create income. Otherwise retirement would not exist. There are those that do invest and do make more income and have investments work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment