Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:18 PM

293 posts, read 756,523 times

Advertisements

Buy a Pepperidge Farm cookie/cracker route. You make great money and are your own boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:48 PM

3,331 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I have spent years doing new fabrication of drilling platforms, chem plants, power plants, etc... Yes, welders can make 100k, 150k+ on pipelines, but I promise, it takes a LOT of skill to pass the tests required. Guys drive 30 hrs to take a weld test, just to fail and have to turn back around. The "entry" level positions are unskilled laborers, and they'd be lucky to make 15-20/hr.. You don't just say "i'm gonna hit the road and get in the oil field and make 100k" Unless you have trade skills/experience, you will probably start near the very bottom, and not everyone moves up..
I agree with this post of yours completely. I had thought you meant previously that folks with the necessary qualifications were only earning $15-$20/hr after 10+ years; a salary which would be more in line with those halfway (or less) through their apprenticeship. General laborers would of course be rather lucky to earn even that much.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:15 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,074 times
NY/NJ used to (I'm not positive about now) have a lot of jobs for writers/editors. Not only are there the obvious fields of publishing and advertising, but less obvious writing jobs in fields like finance. My sister lived there for many years and made a great living as a writer/editor working first in publishing, then moving to finance.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
How about get a CDL and do truck driving? I understand the pay is good, especially in Nebraska

Old 10-06-2014, 05:05 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydogs1 View Post
Buy a Pepperidge Farm cookie/cracker route. You make great money and are your own boss.

You aren't really suggesting that a guy making 30k a year can buy a route and a delivery truck are you?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How about get a CDL and do truck driving? I understand the pay is good, especially in Nebraska
No it's not starting truck drivers make anywhere between 27 to 29 cents per mile. The real money in trucking is owner operator that's what you are mostly seeing in Nebraska. The real money in truck driving is driving for a company like yellow freight witch is teamsters they make from $22 to $24 an hour plus full medical.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 PM

404 posts, read 826,729 times
Strangely I just read the resume of a very successful art nonprofit fund CEO (who makes $250k) who started as a journalist writing about the art scene, then grant writing, fund raising, and boom. Although generally nonprofits pay poorly. Freelance grant writers for nonprofits make about $100/hour in my city. You can also start copyediting and get into marketing which pays well and only costs your soul. Technical writers are also in demand.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I mean for my particular situation, which I will provide in some detail below.

I have a ton of student debt (talking 6 figures) and the only way it seems doable to ever pay back is if I make substantially more. On the plus side I have a masters degree in journalism from an ivy league school and have an undergraduate degree in journalism/film studies. On the negative side I work outside of this field. I have worked as a mental health counselor for about three years now, but the pay is less than $30,000 a year (just slightly). I haven't worked in journalism/film studies really at all as far as full-time employment goes. I need to start taking serious steps to make substantially more now as that interest just keeps piling and piling (At least they are all low interest loans, but still). Also, I'm in the NJ/NY area if that helps.

So given my credentials what are some steps I can take to work toward that $60,000 a year goal? I'm open to working in whatever field, but preferably one my credentials help out with as they have to count for SOMETHING. Anyway, any thoughts? Thank you in advance to anyone who gives a thoughtful reply.
Municipalities and universities.

Teachers, police officers, municipal workers, university employees.

Wealthy NJ municipalities and the research universities in NJ pay it's employees inflated salaries relative to others who have the same job.

Teachers and cops probably break 60K after only a few years. If you get in with a university such as Rutgers, you could be doing some academic support role job for ~50K a year with the potential to be making six figures several years down the road.

Seriously, it's a gravy train funded by taxpayer dollars. The trick is getting in...

Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Aside from the physical labor jobs, could you not blog about what you see in NY with the mental health aspect? It won't make money on the blog but could lead into a journalism job if you get enough people reading it and liking how you write

I'm not so sure I'd write off blogging, lol! Bloggers who have a following earn upwards of $100K/yr from their blogs. Advertising, contributions from readers.

So, if OP is willing to plug away and has something original to say - I'd say this represents a pretty good opportunity! It appears that the critical success factors have to do with keeping the blog updated daily/several times per week and scoring big on the SEO engines.

Good luck, OP!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I second PR. Starting salary would be a bit more than your current wages. Getting to 60k in 2 years and 80k in 4 years is no problem if you are any good.

Making 100k in 6-8 years is possible as well. I know plenty of people who took that path.

Best bets for PR is being in a major metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment