Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:20 PM

223 posts, read 321,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panderson1988 View Post
That said, some of the baby boomers that I've seen who are near 70
The oldest Baby Boomers were born in 1946 and are turning 68 this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
The oldest Baby Boomers were born in 1946 and are turning 68 this year.
Wait! What generation does my dad belong to? He was born in the 1930s. Anyway, there's a huge generation gap; I was born in the 1980s. I've learned from talking to my dad that these "old farts" as you called them, have a lot of wisdom and good old-fashioned ingenuity and know-how. Some of them have lived through hard times that we have yet to even imagine. If anything, do everything to please them so that they will teach you a thing or two, fellow "whipper snapper."

Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Wait! What generation does my dad belong to? He was born in the 1930s. Anyway, there's a huge generation gap; I was born in the 1980s. I've learned from talking to my dad that these "old farts" as you called them, have a lot of wisdom and good old-fashioned ingenuity and know-how. Some of them have lived through hard times that we have yet to even imagine. If anything, do everything to please them so that they will teach you a thing or two, fellow "whipper snapper."
Your dad belongs to the Silent Generation. Loosely defined as too young to serve in World War II and too old for The Summer of Love.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
We had this situation with my former employer. The older employees just would not retire. Since the start of the year, that company lost 40% of its mid to junior staff and now has a big succession issue since the ones who were left behind are too inept to be promoted.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
People are living longer. Life expectancy has made tremendous gains in the last century. It's not surprising that often people have to work longer. On the other side of that, it's no surprise that many "coming of age" moments are delayed now, just like retirement. Why rush to have kids by 25 when you can expect to live over half a century longer. 18 used to be about a third of life expectancy (54). Now it's somewhere between a fourth and a fifth (80). Gotta stretch that money longer somehow.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Your dad belongs to the Silent Generation. Loosely defined as too young to serve in World War II and too old for The Summer of Love.
That's news. I think I'll tell my dad that he's not a Boomer.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
I think a lot of them are afraid of CHANGE! They are comfortable in their routine and leaving it behind is outside their comfort zone.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:18 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I could retire right now according to my 401k. But new cars, vacations to Beaches, home improvements, three colleges to pay for, braces, weddings etc. are something at my age no male head of household has ever had to deal with in past generations.
If I got married at 21, had kids at 23, 25, 27 to a 19 year old bride like prior generations did guess what I could retire soon.
!
This list is so ridiculous and self serving
1) You dont NEED a new car. Gimme a break

2)Aren't your kids too old for you to be paying for their braces? And if not, doesnt your dental insurance or their OWN insurance cover that?

3) You have to pay for a wedding. If your kids really have/ want to be married, they can get a couple of witnesses and goto city hall. The Wedding is just an expensive party.

4)Paying for College for your kid sis nice, but not mandatory. They can apply for aid, grants or take out loans like most lawyers and doctors do. Whe should they be any different.

5)The beach was free last I checked

Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
This list is so ridiculous and self serving
1) You dont NEED a new car. Gimme a break

2)Aren't your kids too old for you to be paying for their braces? And if not, doesnt your dental insurance or their OWN insurance cover that?

3) You have to pay for a wedding. If your kids really have/ want to be married, they can get a couple of witnesses and goto city hall. The Wedding is just an expensive party.

4)Paying for College for your kid sis nice, but not mandatory. They can apply for aid, grants or take out loans like most lawyers and doctors do. Whe should they be any different.

5)The beach was free last I checked
Jack, his kids are 7-14... one of them may be old enough for a limited part time job... but his kids are still that: KIDS.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
The retirement funds of a lot of older people took a serious hit in the recession and not all of them have bounced back. (just because the stock market is up does not mean your stocks are up). Many need to work longer to recover retirement funds and to help out their kids who may have been laid off in the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment