Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 PM

36 posts, read 42,115 times

Advertisements

I've loved my job since I got it. Flexible hours, my own computer, and a variety of things to do and learn. Everything's smooth sailing until something goes wrong, and then my boss bites my head off, blames me for everything, doesn't want to hear details, and makes angry decisions that end up making things more complicated than simple.

Recently we had a major outage, and I was blamed for it all because I'm the only person connecting their store to the server. Even when I'm asked why, when I explain I'm still treated shrewdly and insultingly and told there's too many technical details. I may have been able to put something in place to recover quicker, but it would have been a lot more time and money and the boss has usually turned down extra time and work that aren't immediate needs, and gotten angry if I did things outside of the scope of expectation that I couldn't explain as an immediate need. The whole thing bit everybody in the ass, and I was degraded at my desk in front of everyone while I tried to explain and kept getting angrily interrupted while he gets details wrong and forgets things he or I or someone else said or agreed to.

I don't know how to deal with it. It was at the point a long time ago that I just avoided him altogether and he wasn't around much anyways, and we seemed to be getting along better with a year of smoothness, but this thing happened suddenly and without expectation, the recovery failed at multiple points due to the server host, and I thought I was doing the right thing taking their advice and waiting for them to correct things (most of their support weren't even aware of the intrinsic problems their setup allowed to happen, all outside of my control since there's no indication it could happen and it's extremely uncommon). Basically the host painted our server into a corner and it blew up in our faces because I didn't have a Plan D and was told to only focus on one thing totally unrelated. I've never done anything like Plan D and I learned it's actually uncommon and expensive in the industry, not to mention time-consuming to use and not even guaranteed.

It's so difficult to communicate with the guy and so aggravating, that I'm wondering if it's even worth it. The more I avoid him the better, and the better our systems work the less I have to interact with him. However, even one little thing that doesn't go as planned and I get fire breathed down my neck.

Any advice? Even when I'm cornered it's still just like being stabbed mercilessly and no reasons will stop the beating. He gets a lot of details wrong and is easily upset. I'm not sure how to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 AM

34 posts, read 108,075 times
Start actively looking for other employment opportunities. In my experience things will rarely change when it comes to the "boss" being a certain way. Life is too short to be worried about this type of stuff. I am not saying the grass is greener on the other side but it may not have as many weeds.

One thing I do not suggest is leave without another job. Just keep pushing through the crap and one day something else will come along.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryjb View Post
the grass is greener on the other side but it may not have as many weeds.
Wow ... kudos to you !!
This is what he *saying* should be like !!!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Maybe the OP meant to post on the 'work and employment' forum?

Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Work long enough and most people will have a boss like this at some point. I've had more than one.

You could have a frank discussion with him, but in most cases those don't change anything. I hate to resort to the typical advice of start looking around, but I don't think you have much choice, and nobody should put up with that kind of abuse.

If you stay, it will eventually impact you. I've seen people go from hero to zero in a matter of months because they remained in situations like yours and lost confidence and the ability to be stellar. I understand you like the job but it's not worth it.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Definitely start looking. Your boss seems like the type of person that likes to place blame, instead of find solutions.

That said, really take a look at what is going on. Sometimes we only see our side of the situation. Are you making mistakes that you shouldn't? Is there something you can do to improve your knowledge? Are you showing your boss you are being proactive?

Best of luck!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Well, you know what they say - you don't leave your job, you leave your boss.

Best of luck

Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,161 times
You may love your job, but it's not good for you emotionally and professionally to stay at a job with a terrible boss. He/she sounds like an insecure fool and you don't want someone like that for a boss. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:31 PM

33 posts, read 34,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrivated View Post
I've loved my job since I got it. Flexible hours, my own computer, and a variety of things to do and learn. Everything's smooth sailing until something goes wrong, and then my boss bites my head off, blames me for everything, doesn't want to hear details, and makes angry decisions that end up making things more complicated than simple.

Recently we had a major outage, and I was blamed for it all because I'm the only person connecting their store to the server. Even when I'm asked why, when I explain I'm still treated shrewdly and insultingly and told there's too many technical details. I may have been able to put something in place to recover quicker, but it would have been a lot more time and money and the boss has usually turned down extra time and work that aren't immediate needs, and gotten angry if I did things outside of the scope of expectation that I couldn't explain as an immediate need. The whole thing bit everybody in the ass, and I was degraded at my desk in front of everyone while I tried to explain and kept getting angrily interrupted while he gets details wrong and forgets things he or I or someone else said or agreed to.

I don't know how to deal with it. It was at the point a long time ago that I just avoided him altogether and he wasn't around much anyways, and we seemed to be getting along better with a year of smoothness, but this thing happened suddenly and without expectation, the recovery failed at multiple points due to the server host, and I thought I was doing the right thing taking their advice and waiting for them to correct things (most of their support weren't even aware of the intrinsic problems their setup allowed to happen, all outside of my control since there's no indication it could happen and it's extremely uncommon). Basically the host painted our server into a corner and it blew up in our faces because I didn't have a Plan D and was told to only focus on one thing totally unrelated. I've never done anything like Plan D and I learned it's actually uncommon and expensive in the industry, not to mention time-consuming to use and not even guaranteed.

It's so difficult to communicate with the guy and so aggravating, that I'm wondering if it's even worth it. The more I avoid him the better, and the better our systems work the less I have to interact with him. However, even one little thing that doesn't go as planned and I get fire breathed down my neck.

Any advice? Even when I'm cornered it's still just like being stabbed mercilessly and no reasons will stop the beating. He gets a lot of details wrong and is easily upset. I'm not sure how to deal with it.
I currently work for a boss like that. When any issue occur (real or imaginatary), he goes irate, berates anyone remotely responsible, and make decisions based on his own thoughts only. Which leads to even worse working conditions later.

It will never change. Either cope with it if possible with a good support system of co-workers (which I currently do) or look for greener pastures.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,351 times
I too worked for a boss like that. I lasted 3 months and quickly realized that I would be made the scapegoat of the office if I stayed. I love, love, love what I do, but not at the expense of being made to feel worthless over things out of my control. I eventually found an office that I loved and a boss I respected and admired.

Good positions are out there and I agree with those saying to start actively looking for a new position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment