Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has job hopping finally come to haunt me?
No. It's common for people your age to change jobs frequently. 50 39.06%
Yes. Your history is quite unstable and you need to build stability. 78 60.94%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:13 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Back in 2006 when I was 22 years old, I graduated from college with a BS in Accounting and started my first job in late 2006. Now, here I am at the age of 30 and already on my fourth job. I am currently job searching as we speak, but it's been a sh** show. I have a master's degree now and I'm over 2 months into my job search and only got 1 interview so far, and I withdrew my candidacy because I didn't want the job. Currently, I'm employed, but one of my recruiters told me that my career history is quite choppy and that many employers are going to pass on me because of that. Here is a timeline of my career history:

Job 1 - 1 year, 5 months - quit with no job lined up and relocated
Unemployed for 2 months
Job 2 - 1 year, 7 months - laid off
Unemployed for 4 months
Job 3 - 2 years, 7 months - quit with no job lined up
Unemployed for 7 months and relocated
Job 4 - 1 year, 4 months so far, and currently looking for a new job

Is that bad? Some of my recruiters say it's common, but at the same time warn me that potential employers might not think positively of it, and that I need to build stability and stay at my current job for up to 4 more years.

I now have a total of 6 years and 11 months of experience in my career and have always received average or above average evaluations.

Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
You're looking in different places, which makes you nonlocal. That alone makes it tougher. You make a good income, and someone in say FL is unlikely to match your current CT salary. You're also very picky about where you live.

Just looking at the facts, I'd say there is no problem as long as you show some sort of competent progression.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You're looking in different places, which makes you nonlocal. That alone makes it tougher. You make a good income, and someone in say FL is unlikely to match your current CT salary. You're also very picky about where you live.

Just looking at the facts, I'd say there is no problem as long as you show some sort of competent progression.
Yes, being a nonlocal candidate makes it even harder indeed. I mean, all I can do is try. I've been looking since Aug 1 and applied to 27 jobs and am working with 5 recruiters, which only yielded one interview. I had the interview, but was turned off by the company. But I mean, I've been applying to jobs in many cities in the U.S. such as Hartford, New Haven, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Grand Rapids, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Phoenix. That's a pretty good breadth, if you ask me, and many of those places are quite strong on jobs in my field, even. I am also somewhat selective in the jobs I apply to, because I don't want to just apply to whatever company wherever. The job has to be a good fit, and the industry, field, etc. There's no sense in applying for a job that doesn't appeal to me, you know? Plus, my field is rather specialized.

I'm thinking if nothing materializes over the next few weeks, I'm gonna quit my search and start searching for a better apartment in my area or something and just try to build more career stability and save more money. Sigh.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
4 jobs in 8 years, with months unemployment in between, DOES make you look as a less than optimum candidate.

I know many, many twenty-somethings, and none of them have job-hopped to that extent. Some are still in their first job (by choice!).

Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
You are not job hopping--you are job quitting. You are not chasing more money, or titles, or whatever career progression people change jobs for, you are simply quitting without having anything lined up. To me, you are unreliable and unpredictable.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I agree with JfD. Job hopping is a bit more acceptable when each job is a promotion over the last. Just going aimlessly from job to job makes you look like you are unable or unwilling to hold a job.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
If all those jobs are in the same for field then it probably won't matter. Instead of viewing it as job hopping it could be viewed as 5 years of experience.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes, being a nonlocal candidate makes it even harder indeed. I mean, all I can do is try. I've been looking since Aug 1 and applied to 27 jobs and am working with 5 recruiters, which only yielded one interview. I had the interview, but was turned off by the company. But I mean, I've been applying to jobs in many cities in the U.S. such as Hartford, New Haven, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Grand Rapids, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Phoenix. That's a pretty good breadth, if you ask me, and many of those places are quite strong on jobs in my field, even. I am also somewhat selective in the jobs I apply to, because I don't want to just apply to whatever company wherever. The job has to be a good fit, and the industry, field, etc. There's no sense in applying for a job that doesn't appeal to me, you know? Plus, my field is rather specialized.

I'm thinking if nothing materializes over the next few weeks, I'm gonna quit my search and start searching for a better apartment in my area or something and just try to build more career stability and save more money. Sigh.
I haven't researched Cleveland and Buffalo in depth, but I have a hard time believing they'd be hot for anything. Detroit is its own story. I passed through GR a month ago, and it's a fairly small metro. The rest seem decent enough, but none would be on my short list, save maybe Pittsburgh.

You aren't desperate in the sense you have no job and must take whatever is offered. While the response rate is low, you've been applying to an average of a job about every two days. That's not much, and who knows what percentage of those jobs may have actually expired, been filled but not taken down, basically for internal candidates only (but required to post outside), etc.

I would get more volume going before giving up.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are not job hopping--you are job quitting. You are not chasing more money, or titles, or whatever career progression people change jobs for, you are simply quitting without having anything lined up. To me, you are unreliable and unpredictable.
^^^ this.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:33 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
You and I are on pretty much the exact same schedule.

I started as an intern with a company and started full time January 07 and just turned 30 this year.

1st job: Jan 07 - Mar 11
2nd job: Mar 11 - Feb 12 (though I stayed on as a consultant nights/weekends until september)
3rd job: Feb 12 - Present

I don't think that if I had changed jobs halfway through my first job it would have hurt me, but the difference is I wasn't quitting with no job lined up. My career history is completely solid(with an overlap of two jobs while consulting).

The fact that you voluntarily left most of those jobs without another offer lined up is part of your biggest problem because you have holes in your resume. Sure, once may have been fine, and one of those was a situation where you were laid off.

You don't always get to give your explanation in your resume(nor should you really). To me, if I just looked at your dates, I'd just assume you were fired from every job you had(or about to be fired but quit before they actually did so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment