Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
75% of the population write down loose when they mean lose. For example, they will say "I need to loose weight". Instead of the correct spelling "I need to lose weight". If they spell this way on resumes and job applications, what kind of job can they realistically expect to get?
With so many people being just busy, or texting in shortform, or not having English as a first language, I can be pretty mellow about spelling today. But if I'm working a lot with a person bad word choice/spelling or not understanding the actual meaning usually means functional illiteracy,which means they don't read the manual, which means they do something stupid with the tool/machine which costs major money. Or give the client a misleading or wrong impression of our company.

It'a a gateway indicator that other things are wrong, so what that persons performance closely.
If they used incorrect word choice/spelling on their resume no god they have can help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Don't you mean moo point? (Friend's reference)
MOOT God dammit! MOOT!

The other one that drives me around the bend is irregardless. It's blankin' regardless. Irregardless means without without regard.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
75% of the population write down loose when they mean lose. For example, they will say "I need to loose weight".
Cite a source please!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
HR is the only group of people on the planet that would have the audacity to misspell words in their own postings yet throw away applications with misspelled words. Take a look at any jobs site and it wont take long for you to find enough grammatical errors to make you shake your head and weep.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Would youse like phries with that?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:24 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
With so many people being just busy, or texting in shortform, or not having English as a first language, I can be pretty mellow about spelling today. But if I'm working a lot with a person bad word choice/spelling or not understanding the actual meaning usually means functional illiteracy,which means they don't read the manual, which means they do something stupid with the tool/machine which costs major money. Or give the client a misleading or wrong impression of our company.

It'a a gateway indicator that other things are wrong, so what that persons performance closely.
If they used incorrect word choice/spelling on their resume no god they have can help them.
In technical situations, it really could create confusion.
"How did someone brake the press break?"
"This meddle edge needs a filet!" A what? A nice piece of fish?
I have seen "hydraulic" spelled "hydrolic."
I knew someone who referred to luan/lauan wood as "gluon." "Well, you said you wanted me to put glue on this! Why are you so upset now?"

Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
I'm sure way more than 75% of the population are using computers and some sort of word document or email client that offers and auto-correct / spell check option. So... if people are hitting the "send" button before even making sure that any of what they typed is auto-corrected or spell checked then that's just stoopid....

Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
75% of the population write down loose when they mean lose. For example, they will say "I need to loose weight". Instead of the correct spelling "I need to lose weight". If they spell this way on resumes and job applications, what kind of job can they realistically expect to get?
The outcome is rather subjective, based on type of role and pickiness of the reviewer/employer. I'm no Hemingway, and misspell words often as anyone else. To OP's point, however, few spell check programs will fix "loose" vs. "lose"; "too" vs. "to"; "you're" vs. "your"; etc.

To some resume reviewers/employers, "excellence in delivery" means getting the details right. If edited correctly (the resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn), you may just do-same in the role for day-to-day job responsibilities. I believe that is called "analogous behavior." Analogous assumptions (or judgments) about people are not always correct, of course, but humans do tend to think that way.

To others, the following paragraph in a cover letter is legible and acceptable as-well:

"I'd like ot have the job you offered today, responding too the ad in the paper from this Monday. My skills are just what you need for success and please look at my resume. From the add your hiring quick there is little time to loose, and will look forward to your call. I am at 425-555-1212. Thank you."

Only one misspelling per se, but grossly unreadable as a cover letter. I have encountered such stuff from those born and raised in the United States (ESL candidates may be judged differently). Is the position editor of the local 'zine? Problem! Other type of role, more hands-on? Maybe not; depends more on the person's attitude, skills, and experience!

Bottom line: carefully edited and proof-read resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles are always a good use of time. Can't argue that, in these job-competitive times.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Are you in the US?

I imagine that it would bother employers in a position where writing matters. Then again, not knowing where to put a period would also bother most of those same employers. Difference in casual settings like here, of course, but I suspect that's also where you're seeing "loose" for "lose."

Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
"I'd like ot have the job you offered today, responding too the ad in the paper from this Monday. My skills are just what you need for success and please look at my resume. From the add your hiring quick there is little time to loose, and will look forward to your call. I am at 425-555-1212. Thank you."

Only one misspelling per se, but grossly unreadable as a cover letter. I have encountered such stuff from those born and raised in the United States (ESL candidates may be judged differently). Is the position editor of the local 'zine? Problem! Other type of role, more hands-on? Maybe not; depends more on the person's attitude, skills, and experience!
One misspelling? Also incorrect grammar (multiple instances), incorrect diction, and the misspelled words. Honestly, the misspelled words would be the least of my concerns at that point. Reject bin. Worst part is it's not even someone with bad grammar. It's just someone that doesn't care at all. Most people have bad grammar, but sloppiness doesn't really work in any position regardless of whether or not you need to communicate in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment