Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 12:02 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times

Advertisements

In that scenario, go for the skype interview, if they have issues with that tell em good day. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 12:18 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
If they want you to pay your own dime to travel for the interview, tell them to take a hike.

You might be ok with relocation and even paying for your own relocation but that's only after you have the job. There's really no reason to start paying for yourself to travel all over the country for job interviews in locations that you don't want to live in anyway.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Okay I had a phone interview with a manger for a job I applied for about a week ago which went fairly well. The next week he emailed to ask for a face to face interview. Heres the problem Im in the south and the job is in NY. I explained this to the manager and asked if I could get a skype interview or reschedule the interview (he wanted me to come in the same week). I didnt here anything back for a day or so and thought I had blown it by asking (which didnt worry me to much since I'm starting to get interviews finally). Well come to find out he asked the HR director what she thought about it. She said it was his call and they dont offer relocation assistance but that she still really liked my resume. The other problem is I was never supposed to know the last two sentences I just typed...the HR director mistakenly sent ME the email intended for the manager (it wasnt anything bad about me). Once she realized her mistake she sent me a second email telling me to disregard the other email and apologized. So now she is asking me to contact her directly to talk more about the position.

My concerns: 1. That was a pretty careless mistake to make and it makes me wonder about the job culture of the company. Also, even though she apologized it was in a very informal way.

2. I'm pretty sure I made it clear on my resume i would be an outside hire but I could be wrong. This oversight makes me question their professionalism.

3. She is asking me to call her and discuss my "plans" (relocation, etc.). Do I tell her that I dont want to go all the way up there for an interview and not get the job? (Reason I asked for skype interview). Should I consider employment with them after two mistakes on their part? Need advice.

P.s.- Its a small company but its the closest ive gotten to getting a real job after about 2-3 months of hunting.
I wouldn't worry about how HR behaved. HR is largely run by gate keepers that aren't helpful to getting the job.

I would go by the hiring manager and others you talk to in the company. If they want you to come up for the interview, then tell them to book a flight (means they pay for it!) and a hotel for the night for you to stay over in, because it's unlikely you will be able to fly in and out in the same day and I wouldn't even try.

As for relocation, ignore that, simply tell the hiring manager that relocation is a requirement in order for you to take the job. To be honest, it's simply a one time cost to move you, and much less than a headhunting fee, which is also a one time cost. I know a friend who was told by HR (again another useless gate keeper) that there would be "no relocation for this position". HR repeated this again when my friend arrived in NYC for the interview. During the interview with the hiring manager she said they can offer relocation and it was offered without a problem. So don't worry about their silly games with trying to get you cheaply.

As for taking the trip, you said you are from the South? Will you like living in NY? What about the cost of living there, have you looked into that? It can be real sticker shock compared to real estate costs in the South. Have you done the research to make sure what salary you would need to offset the higher cost?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I wouldn't worry about how HR behaved. HR is largely run by gate keepers that aren't helpful to getting the job.

I would go by the hiring manager and others you talk to in the company. If they want you to come up for the interview, then tell them to book a flight (means they pay for it!) and a hotel for the night for you to stay over in, because it's unlikely you will be able to fly in and out in the same day and I wouldn't even try.

As for relocation, ignore that, simply tell the hiring manager that relocation is a requirement in order for you to take the job. To be honest, it's simply a one time cost to move you, and much less than a headhunting fee, which is also a one time cost. I know a friend who was told by HR (again another useless gate keeper) that there would be "no relocation for this position". HR repeated this again when my friend arrived in NYC for the interview. During the interview with the hiring manager she said they can offer relocation and it was offered without a problem. So don't worry about their silly games with trying to get you cheaply.

As for taking the trip, you said you are from the South? Will you like living in NY? What about the cost of living there, have you looked into that? It can be real sticker shock compared to real estate costs in the South. Have you done the research to make sure what salary you would need to offset the higher cost?
Hi thanks for your insight. I have lived in the northeast before and while it is expensive I highly prefer it to the south (im not from the south btw im from Chi-moved to south not by choice). I have been researching prices in NY and I have to say its pretty ridiculous. The salary for this position was not posted but Im hoping its at least livable. I am waiting to hear from another job ( doubt I'll get it as I dont even meet the minimum requirements for the position but was still contacted for an interview). Anyways, I do see your point about relocation assistance....and who knows maybe they would make an exception.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I would definitely move ahead with the Skype interview. I don't see anything that is a red flag. People make really careless mistakes more often than we realize. She didn't say anything bad.

If they want an in person, see if they will pay for you to fly up their and interview. You can probably do that in a day trip.

However, if you want to stay in the South why are you applying for jobs in the North East? I saw you were unemployed and I understand you wanting a job. If you do, make sure you are prepared to stay for awhile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment