Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times

Advertisements

Sorry but this sounds fishy. Large international companies don't call other companies to chew them out about poaching an entry level employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:34 PM

13 posts, read 19,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Wow, a lot of idiotic responses in this thread. Aren't you glad you posted OP!?

5 weeks is a bit long, but it's transition time. just be happy for the next 5 weeks knowing that you're moving on soon so whatever you're working on isn't critical, which takes the pressure off.

Again best of luck at your new gig.
Thank you for saying that! Some people on here automatically assumed I was a complete inexperienced idiot (when they don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" - ugh.) Things are complicated. I do truly feel like I have a lot to offer. It's just been frustrating that instead of being excited about my new job, I'm being held in purgatory. How is that good for anyone?! What incentive do I have to perform to high standards? Oh yeah, because they know I'm a "good girl" who will never rebel. They're also forcing me to go through my yearly Performance/Planning Review (a very painful process that takes hoooooouurrrs) for my "own sake" - so I can get my 2% "salary bump" for the whole 5 days I'm working in the month of November...when HR effed up my salary for an ENTIRE YEAR last year and was giving me less than I was supposed to be earning.

Oh well, at least my managers feel "important." Good stroke for their egos

Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
How is it better to send it up the chain of command by 2 levels, have them chew out your next employer for poaching employees, and openthe possibility of rescinding the offer?

It's far better to give 2 weeks notice, start at the new job in 2 weeks, and have your old boss find out later. This option beats the former, hands down.
I agree. I didn't think it would go down this way. I guess I have too much faith in people.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
How is it better to send it up the chain of command by 2 levels, have them chew out your next employer for poaching employees, and openthe possibility of rescinding the offer?

It's far better to give 2 weeks notice, start at the new job in 2 weeks, and have your old boss find out later. This option beats the former, hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sorry but this sounds fishy. Large international companies don't call other companies to chew them out about poaching an entry level employee.
You're telling me. These fragile egos must be protected!!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Lesson learned.

Do not EVER tell your employer where your next job is until you've signed all your paperwork at the new job and have a start date. You do not want to open the door to the possibility of getting screwed over by offering too much information too soon.

I had a supervisor who ruined a job offer I had received, and then tried to do the same thing with a second one. That taught me never to say anything until I already had a start date for the next job.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Come on, you said in your OP that you did it thinking there would be a counter offer.

People change jobs within the same industry all the time, someone working as a claims adjuster for All State goes to the completion State Farm. They give their two weeks notice and go.

Someone goes to work for one of their companies vendors.

Your not the first person to do something like this.

You can't go back and change it, but going forward NEVER tell a company that type of information, you give your two weeks notice and be done with it.

I would also check with Company B and make sure you still have this position waiting for you.

As I said earlier you have become "problematic" before you have even come on board. Not good.
"Seain Dublin"

Pffft. Please read the other comments I've added here. You have no idea how I've been mistreated in this situation, or in prior situations, as far as employment is concerned. It's difficult to be an innately nice, introspective person when it comes to business. I understand that doing the right thing might not always get me "ahead." I was simply seeking advice about (and maybe validation around) how to balance wanting to do the right thing for the aforementioned companies with doing the right thing for the aforementioned employee (me).

I am not willing to change my personality or alter my values to fit any corporate mandate. I feel like I've been respectful in the way I've handled my situation, but I have been taken advantage of. As others have stated, maybe I've been a wuss. No need to shame me or call me a "problem", when honestly, I'm pretty confident that I have more to offer than most people when it comes to my next position. I'm just not willing to "fake it," like so many people are.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:55 AM

720 posts, read 765,512 times
Mermaid, this is unfortunate for sure, but sometimes we only learn things the hard way, no?

You've learned some valuable lessons:

1. Take care of yourself first,

2. Loose lips, sink ships,

3. See #1

Take your knowledge, insight, and ethics and use them to get you where you want to go.

You'll be just fine

Old 10-10-2014, 08:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid225 View Post
Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

For this scenario, let's refer to my current company as Company A and the company I'm starting with as Company B. A former coworker at Company A was let go due to downsizing. She got a new job at Company B and really likes it. Recently, a new job opening came up at B. She contacted me and wanted to know if I wanted to interview. I did, and I ended up getting a job offer from B. It is a 27% salary increase and also presents some other additional perks (such as no commuting costs.)

Company A is a client of Company B. Company B obviously values the relationship and does not want to "step on their toes." Keep in mind that I'm in basically an entry-level position, so it's not like Company B is trying to steal leadership from Company A. Also, A is a large, international company (over 5000 employees.) I was in a hard place because I generally DO like working for A and didn't want to necessarily leave, but there have been no opportunities to advance and I see none coming in the near future. I told my boss about the offer, thinking that MAYBE Company A would try to counter-offer. At the very least, I thought it was responsible to tell A that I was considering an offer from B before formally accepting it. The news of the offer ended up going 2 levels above my direct boss to the division head at my current company. The division head called Company B angrily, accusing B of trying to "poach" employees from A. I hadn't even formally accepted the offer yet!

A basically told me there's nothing they can do, promotion or salary-wise, which would make me consider staying. So, I accepted with B, and wrote a resignation letter offering the standard 2-week notice with A before starting with B.

Apparently, this is not good enough for Company A. The division head talked with Company B and said they can hire me as long as I stay at A for an additional FIVE weeks. B reluctantly agreed. I think at this point they were regretting offering me the position, since they want someone to start right away and now they're having to rearrange their planning meetings on account of my late start. Of course, I'm free to leave A at any time (it's an "at-will" employment and I didn't sign any kind of contract or anything like that.) However, even if I did leave earlier than five weeks, I wouldn't be able to start at B until after this waiting period because B would not want to go against their agreement with A. Not to mention, I would "burn bridges" at Company A for sure.

This really has little to do with me as a resource to Company A and is more about a "power struggle," in my opinion. Is this legal? If it's not illegal, do you think this is completely absurd, at least?
Not a lawyer... but I'm pretty sure it's legal. It may be a bit shady, but I wouldn't burn any bridges and would just work at A for the additional 3 weeks and then go to Company B. Just be clear with B, that you would like to make them happy and if that means working for 3 more weeks at A, you will do that.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times
OP, you were too forthcoming in the information you gave your current employer. Your hope for a counter offer gives the impression that you didn't really want to leave, but you would stay for more money. You were already getting a 27% increase from the new company. Since money is your motivating factor, which I totally understand, you should have simply just given a two-weeks notice and moved on.

I don't know if what Comp A is doing is legal, but they are being bullies. I will not be surprised if Comp B rescinds the offer, and Comp A make your career options very, very limited if you decide to stay (if you can't go to Comp B).

Never tell your current company where you are going to. they will find out eventually, but keep all your playing cards close to your heart.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
OP, you were too forthcoming in the information you gave your current employer. Your hope for a counter offer gives the impression that you didn't really want to leave, but you would stay for more money. You were already getting a 27% increase from the new company. Since money is your motivating factor, which I totally understand, you should have simply just given a two-weeks notice and moved on.

I don't know if what Comp A is doing is legal, but they are being bullies. I will not be surprised if Comp B rescinds the offer, and Comp A make your career options very, very limited if you decide to stay (if you can't go to Comp B).

Never tell your current company where you are going to. they will find out eventually, but keep all your playing cards close to your heart.
I've officially accepted Company B's offer, in writing.

Money is a big motivating factor, but it's not everything. I would have considered staying for less money than Company B offered, as long as A could offer SOMETHING. Obviously they couldn't, but they also added a slap in the face. It's nice to feel appreciated. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment