Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:03 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,266,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
my mum is a carer and my dad works at a supermarket

what about yours?
My mom was a SAHM but when we entered middle school she got a part-time retail job just for fun. She worked in the mornings while we were in school. About 15 years ago she started her own at-home business and still does that to this day.

My dad was in the military until I was in high school, and got a degree in computers on their dime. Once he retired he began working as a project manager for a computer company, and worked for another 25 years until he retired a couple years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 10:27 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,032,461 times
Mom was an elementary school teacher and assistant pastor. (She had a Ph.D)

Dad (step dad) was a cook but was injured in a street accident when I was 10-12 maybe (siblings younger)....and a stay at home dad after that. It was great having him pick us up from school. He was a house husband before they called it that. He cooked dinner (since that had been his job and he was home.....why not.) He did laundry and the shopping. EXCEPT, mom figured out right quick that he'd buy us a lot more junk and get things that couldn't really make a MEAL....so then they'd go together!

Years before they met he was in the Army during the Korean war. Did his stint and came out (of the Army). He went to night school and got his HS diploma after they got married.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,258,095 times
Mom was a computer programmer, dad was a sanitation engineer (garbage man).

Old 08-10-2015, 01:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,321,204 times
My Dad - Post Office (23 years); after his retirement, owned a small business for several years.
My Mom - stay at home mom.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM

293 posts, read 847,590 times
Dad was a machinist, for a very small and poorly paying shop for 20 years before he got in at GM. Now retired.
Mom was a SAHM for many years, then a variety of jobs: retail, secretary, stockbroker's assistant and now part-time library clerk.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,490,301 times
Dad was in management at a printing company, mom was a teacher.
My husband's dad worked as a mechanic overnight for construction companies and his mom worked at Walmart.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:58 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,059,285 times
My dad is a machinist.
My mom teaches 3rd grade.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:21 PM

1,104 posts, read 915,208 times
My father was a tradesperson, in the same trade as their father. They received an excellent education and inherited a company.

My mother had no ambition other than casual work and being a housewife, but being a parent introduced them into teaching. I remember teaching her basic math. This helped them become a teacher.

At their age, my father owned several vehicles, a house, some land and some financial assets. They had a stable and linear development of life. In contrast, I rent, hold under $10k of savings, and work an unskilled job. I dropped out of education, drifted, and have made poor sense of things.

Neither parent left their children anything of what they received, and their violence was bewildering. This has always left me resentful. But as I mature, I learn to appreciate them as people, then myself.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 PM

12,658 posts, read 8,879,910 times
Well to start off, mom was a coal miners daughter and dad was a sharecroppers son. He was in the Army in WW2, saved his money, came out and in '46 bought the farm his dad had sharecropped on. At various times he owned a gas station, painted houses, owned a garbage truck, and became a salesman. Nothing spectacular, but we never went hungry. Mom, worked in a shipyard in WW2, was a secretary, and worked in a Post Office until I came along, then was a housewife.

Just pretty regular, hard worked folks like so many millions of others who grew up in the Depression, fought a war, and built a decent economy. Ordinary folks. Who lived in extraordinary times and did extraordinary things.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,268,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My father was an electronics engineer, my Mom didn't work (9 kids) until in her 50s, then was a floral designer at a local florist.
9 kids? Man, that's the real work. I'd prefer hiding in an office all day than take care of 9 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment