Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:15 PM

715 posts, read 790,696 times

Advertisements

my mum is a carer and my dad works at a supermarket

what about yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 02:04 PM

659 posts, read 940,220 times
My dad was a self employed job hopper. It means what it says, any time his business was doing well or showed signs of improving, he'd quit the business/sell the business instead of growing it. It didn't help that he'd spend almost all the money gambling. My mom said he never finished what he started and it's true. Now he's old and has zero savings and social security, living off of welfare and the gullibility of strangers willing to help.

Stepdad was a self employed successful painter. He painted anything from churches to buildings like WTC/Empire State, residential homes, and celebrity mansions. I remember when he took us to Sylvester Stallone's vacation home when it was being built. It was awesome, modest for a mansion but amazing. Step dad never trained anyone, he did the painting all by himself. Can you imagine painting a mansion by yourself? That was impressive. The empire state and WTC, was when he was union in NYC before he became self employed in AZ.

My mother works for a private travel agency. She deals with celebrities, from Hollywood and Broadway, as well as the entertainment industry in the west coast such as Blizzard, Sony, Electronic Arts, etc. When she was back in NYC, she dealt with different powerhouses like the presidents and CEOs of Nike, Wall Street, Exxon, Mars, Fashion Shows, international companies CEO (mostly Japan and China), etc.

Mom's favorite celebrity is Penelope Cruz, because she never uses an agent and she's very polite and down to earth over the phone. Penelope Cruz never gave the impression that she looks down on little people and she wasn't high strung either. Iirc, her most demanding and rude were the Jonas Brothers (or rather their agents).

Old 10-11-2014, 04:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
My father is in sales, and has been since before I was born, he is currently a general manager of a car dealership.

My Mother was a store manager for Walmart but retired a little over a year ago, prior to that she ran a daycare licensed for 14 kids.

My step father currently owns a successful local trucking company, prior to that he was a consultant making very good money but on the road 8-10 months out of the year.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My father was an electronics engineer, my Mom didn't work (9 kids) until in her 50s, then was a floral designer at a local florist.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
My dad was a HS teacher, teaching electronics. He also worked at an electronic repair shop on the side.

My mom was a elementary school teacher for 40 plus years. They both retired.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
My mother was a cashier at a local department store and worked there from when I was in 3rd grade until she died of cancer when I was a teenager.

My father was a bum who lost his job when I was in 4th grade and never really held any job after that and lived off my mother until she died and he was forced to do something for income (and even then, he bummed money from relatives, etc).

Old 10-12-2014, 09:18 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Dad - Aerospace Sales
Mom - Educational Administrator

Grew up in a very middle class, average family. Dad and Mom worked and saved for all of us to attend and complete college, which we all did.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Both of my parents were computer programmers though my dad made more $ because he worked with banks usually.

My upbringing was upper class but a lot of that had to do with shrewd investments they made in real estate and such.

In my own working/living life, I have always been middle class.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:41 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Dad was in the Navy. After he retired from that, he taught high school math. Mom was a homemaker.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 PM

399 posts, read 568,185 times
My mother is the Vice President of Diversity Management at an aerospace company
My father is a retired Chemical Engineer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment