Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Of course the whole diamond thing was largely made up by DeBeers in the 30's to sell it to the mass public.
HowStuffWorks "Diamond Marketing" I'm sorry but if you can't eat it or find someone to know how much it is worth then what is the purpose then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzE76nUSjL8

So if someone can't afford rent they should be homeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 12:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Actually, this is more typical than you might think and that is part of what locks them in poverty. Ever see them shopping when the tax refunds come in with the refunds on the child credits? Shopping cart full of things we, even with higher wages, would not buy because "splurge" for us is limited. Although we were married 30 years ago when we each made $6.00 per hour, we bought simple wedding bands, retail now at probably less than $200.00 total.

I would love to live in California in nice weather and it would be great for my health and that of my younger son, but we could not afford it. There are trade-offs.

While a story about the low wages is worthy, this particular situation was a poor choice. For us, repairs when we didn't have the money for them would be limited to health, car repairs or major appliance (refrigerator/range). Sorry, I can't shed a tear on this one.

??? Who goes shopping with a $50 tax refund?

Old 10-12-2014, 01:09 PM

10,308 posts, read 13,840,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
i don't think it's the employees' fault and it's unfair to blame them. $9 an hour is RIDICULOUS. when will workers get paid a reasonable, living wage? this guy is an activities coordinator at a nursing facility. for that they consider $9/hr sufficient? please don't blame him for having a family or trying to pay his bills. the real problem is in this day and age people are still getting paid $9 an hour in america.
Don't blame him for having a family? You do realize pregnancy is 100% preventable right? If you're already broke and you keep having kids then it's your own fault and nobody else's. It's called taking responsibility.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:12 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Here is one of the attitudes I'm talking about.

If only life worked as simple as you suggest. Then again, our past (worldwide) was made up of rules and obstacles that stood in a person's ability to have their own course in life. I don't want to go back to that. Do you?
Not in America, no.

THAT'S what makes the USA the greatest country in the world.
Or..DID until the corrupt politicians started infusing government overreach and control EVERYWHERE.

And people decided it was easier to get a check than CREATE an income.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ7 View Post
I can't get any more than $9/hour and have an Associate's degree in Business Administration. $9/hour is better than being let go and told you're not the right fit for the job. I worked hard in college. If I get $13/hour, I'm told I'm not the right fit after 30-90 days. So I might end up worse off than someone with just a high school education, right? At least some get to keep their jobs after they got hired on.
There is some mystery situation in your case that you haven't revealed.

On THIS thread you said "since 2010". You also asked "is that because I'm not a fast woman?"

What happened in 2010 and since you're 40 what was your income before then?

T7

Old 10-12-2014, 01:32 PM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Now, I wouldn't go to that extreme.

That means only the Top 20% of households or so can have children.

There's no set number, but you should have some kind of education and career if you plan on having a child.

For instance a woman with a college degree and several years of experience in 'something' who makes 40K and has a young son? That's totally doable. It won't be a lavish lifestyle or anything but you can get by and even do some fun things with that income and one child ... in a high cost area.

But that situation is more rare. Typically, it's no education, no skills, and a litter of children. Never ceases to blow my mind.
Average cost of raising a child hits $245,000 - Aug. 18, 2014

Excerpt:

Quote:
To raise a child born in 2013 to the age of 18, it will cost a middle-income couple just over $245,000, according to newly released estimates from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.That's up $4,260, or almost 2%, from the year before.
Also mentioned in the article is that the 245K figure does not include college.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
This is why you must have Credit Card for unexpected situations because they do tend to happen. I make sure I have 2 credits card for SURPRISES so it won't affect my savings or primary bank account

Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,708,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Who is "we" and since when does hard work guarantee gainful employment with disposable income in today's economy?

You are way out of touch with this post of yours.
You're welcome to your own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
But you are questioning why a person can't work harder. You are giving a simple answer for a complex problem.

You say work harder. Let's say the job someone is able to get wants a person to be flexible and available for any shift. How is someone working 9 bucks an hour going to work harder and work a second job? Maybe you say, oh, just bide your time, get that second job after a number of months (or years?) when you get a better schedule. Okay, but in the short run, what's a person to do?

I'm using this as an example of how it is not easy to just work harder. Do people do it? YES YES YES.

Does that mean everyone can do it? no
Work harder as in grab a second job, as I stated in my first post.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:07 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,708,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That is SO 1970s, doesn't work today in the minimum wage world.
If you make minimum wage and you have no desirable skills and want to make more money how do you do so? You get a second job. Instead of sleeping in and complaining all day about not having 250 bucks, you actually go outside and mow grass or work a weekend shift at the local shopping plaza.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If you make minimum wage and you have no desirable skills and want to make more money how do you do so? You get a second job. Instead of sleeping in and complaining all day about not having 250 bucks, you actually go outside and mow grass or work a weekend shift at the local shopping plaza.
or apply for a credit card so you can have for unexpected situations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment