Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:17 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times

Advertisements

Well, it sounds like you handled the bankruptcy as well as possible. Was it a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13? Are you finished with your plan, or are you still paying it off? Has the bankruptcy been discharged? Will they be looking at your credit report, or just your credit score? Have they told you they will be pulling a credit report? Have you given permission to do so?

If the bankruptcy has been successfully discharged, I wouldn't volunteer any information. Answer the questions truthfully if asked, but let's face it, we don't go in and tell people that we were a month late on our VISA, or have a couple of late mortgage payments. You can add a commentary to your credit report in all the bureaus, which will be presented whenever someone pulls your credit report, and insert your explanation there. "Bankruptcy in 2009 due to fnancial stress brought on by illness and medical expenses. Plan included 100% payment to all accounts, and was successfully completed and discharged on (Date)." Note if the plan was finished early. There's your explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 22,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Well, it sounds like you handled the bankruptcy as well as possible. Was it a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13? Are you finished with your plan, or are you still paying it off? Has the bankruptcy been discharged? Will they be looking at your credit report, or just your credit score? Have they told you they will be pulling a credit report? Have you given permission to do so?
It was Chptr 7 - fully discharged in Feb'10. My concern is that it's going to show up, and they're going to see it. I know the HR manager from my job, they're going to be shocked. Why not be proactive and discuss it first ?

Old 10-13-2014, 12:39 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrev View Post
It was Chptr 7 - fully discharged in Feb'10. My concern is that it's going to show up, and they're going to see it. I know the HR manager from my job, they're going to be shocked. Why not be proactive and discuss it first ?
Don't bring it up unless they ask you about it specifically. Bankruptcies are common, especially given how bad the economy was since 08 or so. I would not worry about it.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:01 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I don't see any reason you'd bring up a bankruptcy in an interview. Usually before they do a background check they give you paperwork asking about your past employers, education, criminal history, etc. That might ask, or it might have a section to mention anything else of import.
Agreed. Don't volunteer anything negative about yourself. If they run a credit check, you can explain how it came about afterward. Maybe you'll get lucky and they won't run it.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 22,077 times
Thanks everyone for your input. It seems they are only running a criminal and SSN. I don't think either would show a bankruptcy. The HR manager knows me so they didn't do a full blown employee screen, including reference checks. I guess it was the right thing not to volunteer that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment