Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times

Advertisements

I don't mind people asking. But then I love my job and do something that is not all that common. I enjoy talking about it and educating people about my field so am never offended by the question. It is rarely the first thing someone asks me in a conversation though and it is not a question I ask often. I figure if people like what they do they will voluntarily talk about it. I never ask people how much they make and I don't tell people how much I make unless for some reason they really need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,969 times
When I say I'm a Computer Engineer, people think I can fix their computers. Then I say I'm an embedded engineer and eyes glaze over. Saying I'm a software engineer isn't accurate, and saying I'm a hardware engineer isn't accurate either.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
When I say I'm a Computer Engineer, people think I can fix their computers. Then I say I'm an embedded engineer and eyes glaze over. Saying I'm a software engineer isn't accurate, and saying I'm a hardware engineer isn't accurate either.
I've been a software engineer. I know exactly what you do as an embedded computer engineer. But I also get "can you fix my computer?" I despise 'fixing' computers. Even my own. People also don't understand that there are more types of computers than Macs and PC clones.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:27 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I've been a software engineer. I know exactly what you do as an embedded computer engineer. But I also get "can you fix my computer?" I despise 'fixing' computers. Even my own. People also don't understand that there are more types of computers than Macs and PC clones.
I tell people Im a corporate accountant and they ask me to do their taxes. That's not even close to what I do!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
LOL, yup! I do server software engineering on motherboard embedded systems. Its insanely rare that people understand what I do. But I've done everything from creating software, installs, build management, and now all the way down to motherboard software....And I despise fixing peoples computers. Especially the virus laden ones. I had to have along discussion with my wife about volunteering me to fix our friends systems.

Now if I knew someone who was willing to exchange services that would be different. And I've done that before.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,363 times
I just name the company I work for. If pressed, I will narrow it down to the department I work for. But in no way, shape or form will they be finding out i'm in IT. Because then it's all about their 7 year old no software updates having virus-laden machine with the bootleg Microsoft Office Suite installed that is acting up and CAN YOU HELP ME OUT???

Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM

435 posts, read 635,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
What cultures are those? Because I'd consider moving there.

A friend of mine travels to Europe frequently on business, and he was coached about customs and traditions in other countries. He is the one who told me this. I will ask him.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 PM

435 posts, read 635,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I do have a bad habit of assuming most people went to college.
I don't think it is unreasonable to assume someone went to college, just because many, many people have been to college. In the 1950s, it was different. But nowadays college education is the norm.

I once made the mistake of assuming someone was married, he got all defensive and upset, in a bitter tone of voice. So I don't make that mistake anymore.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
It seems like this is an extremely common question to ask someone in a social setting; however, are people just making conversation or do they actually care? Do any of you struggle answering this question?
Struggle with it? Generally, no. Of course, I am not in many social settings where it is asked. Being a graveyard worker plays havoc on the social life.

The thing is that knowing as much as I know, saying how I pay my taxes usually doesn't cut it. But on the other hand, knowing as much as I know, I can usually come up with an "honest" answer......it just may not be timely.

Hence, if asked, I would probably say I'm a diver.

"Ohhhh, is there much money in that?"

"It works for me.".

Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM

122 posts, read 188,056 times
It's just an icebreaker. It's how they react that will really tell you about them. Try telling them you're a garbage man, you work at McDonald's, or you're a garbage man and see where the conversation goes. Then try on another person, telling them you're a real estate developer, doctor, or hedge fund manager. Or tell them you run a sex toy store, or rent bounce houses, or bartend, but really dream of becoming the world's most famous mime.

When I tell people what I do, they usually ask me for help with their business idea, which works out well for me since it means new clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment