Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

Also, to add, I prefer sending a resignation letter through email is for a couple of reasons.

1. You're saving on paper. The only thing many employers are going to do is recycle the printed resignation letter, shred it or ball it up and toss it in the trash can once you hand it to them. They have no other use for it.

2. You can CC several people on the one email in the company so that they also receive your resignation letter. So in addition to addressing your direct supervisor in the email, you can also CC the supervisor's manager (assuming you have any type of relationship with them), your own personal inbox and HR at the same time.

3. If any issue in the future comes up regarding the way in which you resigned from your position at this company, all you have to do is simply pull up those emails as your evidence (instead of going back & forth over what printed resignation letters were given to who and when).

Quite frankly, I personally wouldn't want to work for an employer who even tries to measure how good/professional an employee is based on whether or not their resignation letters are printed or emailed. All it does is reveal to me how narrow and even outdated their philosophies are. Communication by email, in my experience, is perfectly acceptable by the typical employer for what's merely a business relationship in the 21st Century workplace. It's not like you're saying so long to your family or best friend on your death bed.

Last edited by 313Weather; 10-14-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Short and sweet. You've decided to pursue other opportunities, thank them for the opportunity, and you wish them success in the future. Nothing more than that is needed. And the reality is, for the average worker your departure is a minor nuisance that the company will move on from almost immediately.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:37 PM

20 posts, read 152,797 times
Thanks so much for the advice and input! There were a few points that I hadn't considered, and now I feel better prepared. Wish me luck!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment