Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,454,965 times

Advertisements

Got a problem.

I had 5 days of vacation approved a month ago. The week before our supervisor said we had mandatory Saturdays the next 2 weekends. I sent him an email the Monday before I leave that I have already made motel reservations Sat night through Friday in a city that's 12 hours away. He never responds. That Saturday morning I am on the drive and I get a call saying I was supposed to work today and must work the following Saturday too. I send him an email and text message but he never responds. It's put a dark cloud over our whole vacation (which was supposed to ease stress in work and marriage) and honestly I'm not sure what will happen the next time I walk into work

I have never experienced anything quite like this. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 AM

4,269 posts, read 6,290,988 times
It sounds like you work for a company that has weekend shifts, during which you sometimes work.

If when you asked for vacation you asked for five days (M-F), then you got five days (M-F). What you should have done was request an extension to get the Saturday off since you were going to be out of town. You did not do that. You just alerted him to the fact you had a planned vacation.

You emailed on the Monday before your trip. Had it been me, had I not received a response by Tuesday morning I would have called my supervisor to discuss, or gone to see him in person. Did you follow-up AT ALL to find out the result of your initial email about being out of town on Saturday?

And had I not been able to talk to my boss by Tuesday, I would have contacted HR to find out the next steps on ensuring that I would have Saturday off for my long-ago planned vacation.

As it is, enjoy your vacation as best you can, and definitely plan on going into work the Saturday after you get back. And hope you have a job.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:03 AM

22,539 posts, read 47,584,363 times
"Told my week long vacation doesn't include Saturday"

But you did not HAVE a week-long vacation. You took off five days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I had 5 days of vacation approved a month ago. The week before our supervisor said we had mandatory Saturdays the next 2 weekends.
Then you should have talked to him right away, requesting the Saturday off.

I also hope you don't lose your job over this....

Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
It sounds to me like Saturdays are rare and that's why it was only the week before the vacation that it was announced that the next two Saturdays would be mandatory.

If that's the case, your manager is unbelievably demanding if he thought you should change your vacation plans. And to not even reply to you when you try to communicate is bad form. Most people would have assumed no response to your reminder that you'd be on vacation meant an acceptance of the fact that you would be unavailable to work.

Document everything that has happened because you may need it.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,575,054 times
Meh, doesn't sound like a company I want to work for.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,322,941 times
Sounds to me like a real crappy place to work. The last time I had to worry about weekends when taking leave was in the military over 30 years ago if that tells the OP anything.

Office Space - Working Tomorrow - YouTube

Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,246,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It sounds to me like Saturdays are rare and that's why it was only the week before the vacation that it was announced that the next two Saturdays would be mandatory.

If that's the case, your manager is unbelievably demanding if he thought you should change your vacation plans. And to not even reply to you when you try to communicate is bad form. Most people would have assumed no response to your reminder that you'd be on vacation meant an acceptance of the fact that you would be unavailable to work.

Document everything that has happened because you may need it.
This is good information from MPowering. An unexpected required Saturday workday around your vacation is ridiculous if it is not the norm to work Saturdays. Your boss seems like a jerk with poor communication skills. I assume your group has a major deliverable coming up, hence the mandatory Saturdays. Keep your communications you delivered and if he/she causes a problem, talk with HR in confidence.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:53 AM

820 posts, read 1,208,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Meh, doesn't sound like a company I want to work for.
This, unless you own your own business, you should be enjoying your weekends.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 AM

17,555 posts, read 15,208,073 times
Most places, if your normal work week is M-F, but they have weekend work at times.. If you take the Friday off, then the Saturday is included as well. If they do massive overtime where you work Saturday and Sunday and they are not normal work days, then you take the Monday, and Sunday is included.

So.. Based on your situation, I would have expected (From sitting here, not as management where you work) that you would have had vacation from Sunday through the next Saturday.

I tend to agree that the first Saturday they have a valid point on. The Saturday following the Friday that you were off.. Not so much.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,373,057 times
I ALWAYS request off that Monday through the following Sunday, even if I only have 5 days of vacation. That's what I put on request forms and in our project calendar. We don't always work weekends, sometimes we'll go 6 months with no Saturdays, but I know out of nowhere I will get to work and they'll say "we are working Saturdays for the next 6 weeks." It all depends how projects are going.

If you EVER work Saturdays, even just a few a year, you need to request the full amount of time off.

It sounds like since you missed, you just need to make it up on the following. Not like you'll get fired or anything and I'd imagine he understands, yet is probably a bit annoyed as you didn't request those days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment