U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,913,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Got a problem.

I had 5 days of vacation approved a month ago. The week before our supervisor said we had mandatory Saturdays the next 2 weekends. I sent him an email the Monday before I leave that I have already made motel reservations Sat night through Friday in a city that's 12 hours away. He never responds. That Saturday morning I am on the drive and I get a call saying I was supposed to work today and must work the following Saturday too. I send him an email and text message but he never responds. It's put a dark cloud over our whole vacation (which was supposed to ease stress in work and marriage) and honestly I'm not sure what will happen the next time I walk into work

I have never experienced anything quite like this. Any thoughts?
Well, I would have been more persistent in getting a response as soon as the mandatory Saturdays were announced. But that's water under the bridge as it sounds like you're currently on your trip.

Have you tried calling your supervisor? Is your supervisor typically so unresponsive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 PM

2,169 posts, read 1,644,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"Told my week long vacation doesn't include Saturday"

But you did not HAVE a week-long vacation. You took off five days.

Then you should have talked to him right away, requesting the Saturday off.

I also hope you don't lose your job over this....
A week is seven days not five. A work week is five days. A week long vacation should be seven days.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,053,104 times
OP needs to clarify if they often have to work Saturdays. I for instance never work weekends and if I scheduled 5 days off me and my boss and everyone in the office knows that means 7. Just like we know not to expect our boss to reply to calls or emails during their 5 (7) days off. If they tried to pull me in on a Saturday on the week I took off Id send them a strongly worded email that Im here 50 other weeks a year to work, but 2 are just for me and my family.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM

48 posts, read 54,739 times
That sucks, most companies if you have to work a Saturday (assuming Saturday work is rare) tell you pretty far in advance.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 PM

405 posts, read 391,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It sounds to me like Saturdays are rare and that's why it was only the week before the vacation that it was announced that the next two Saturdays would be mandatory.

If that's the case, your manager is unbelievably demanding if he thought you should change your vacation plans. And to not even reply to you when you try to communicate is bad form. Most people would have assumed no response to your reminder that you'd be on vacation meant an acceptance of the fact that you would be unavailable to work.

Document everything that has happened because you may need it.
That's my take on the situation too.

Every place I have ever worked said that if you were scheduled off on a Monday, you couldn't be forced to work the Saturday before that and if you were scheduled off on a Friday, you couldn't be forced to work the Saturday after. That means that if you take 5 vacation days (Monday-Friday), you are guaranteed 9 days off because of the weekends.

These places have also had the policy that if we don't hear anything about time off, we are to assume that it's been approved. I've never had a problem hearing from my boss about a day off so I haven't had to test that, but I do know others that have and they were never disciplined for taking off.

My current job does have a weekend shift, but since I'm not part of the weekend shift, then a vacation day isn't required to cover anything that's not part of my normal shift.

My job also allows people to deny overtime with no risk to their job as long as they communicate the fact that they aren't working. There are punishments for denying overtime too much though. You won't get fired for it, but it does decrease your raise after so many of them. Denying 1 or 2 hours of OT is the same as denying 8 hours on a Saturday. I do have a point here. In my company, if I'm scheduled to work over 2 hours and I don't want to do it, I can either deny the OT or I can put in to go home an hour early or even more than that if I want. As long as nobody in my department is scheduled off, then my boss has to approve my time no matter how busy we are. So I work 3rd shift, 11p-7a and let's say that I'm scheduled to work over 2 hours so I'd be working 11p-9a that day. If I put in to go home 4 hours early, I still leave at 3 because time off isn't required to cover OT. The OP's boss though would probably try saying that leaving 4 hours early would mean he/she leaves at 5 because he/she is still supposed to work over.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:43 PM

20,423 posts, read 36,020,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
A week is seven days not five. A work week is five days.
Ummm... yes to all of that.
But she took five vacation days, not seven vacation days.

405 posts, read 391,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenice View Post
That sucks, most companies if you have to work a Saturday (assuming Saturday work is rare) tell you pretty far in advance.
I can't speak for most companies, but I will say that the most official notice I've ever had for a Saturday at any of the jobs I've worked has been 1 week. There are times that we know we'll be scheduled and they haven't told us yet, but it's not official in my company until they post it in writing, usually at the time clocks. At my company, and for those of us on 3rd shift, they are required to post it by 3am on Thursday morning for Saturday to be required. I've actually gotten out of a lot of required Saturdays because they'll post it at like 9am on Thursday and that's good for the 1st and 2nd shift employees, but it's too late for the people on my shift. We can still work if we want, but we can't be penalized for not showing up.

Obviously, different companies have different policies so I can only speak for my company, but that's the way it works where I work. Of course, many companies may tell you about it in well in advance, but they aren't required to do so until much closer to the time. Once again, this is an example from my company. They will often ask for volunteers early in the week, but they will wait until the last second to post it as required because my company says that once it's posted as required, they have to allow people to work it even if the company decides there is no longer a reason to work it. They don't have to allow people that volunteer to work the OT if it's cancelled as long as the OT is still on a voluntary basis, but once they make it required, then our company policy says that the company can't get out of it as long as people are still wanting to work it. Obviously, if everybody says they're not working it after it's been cancelled, then that's another matter.

9,612 posts, read 20,569,279 times
OP here.
1. We are a cable tv / wifi infrastructure mapping company. Normally employees work M to F with a few people volunteering to work over on weekdays and come in voluntarily on Saturday. Supervisors must work 10+ hours each day and work a full 8 hour day 3 of every 4 Saturdays every month. We had not had a mandatory Saturday but a couple times throughout the past year. They are rare enough that I didn't think to plan around them

2. We have had a "deadline" for a project that has been pushed back numerous times. Based on inside info they told Time Warner that we'd have 20 people 1st and 2nd shift working on it. Instead they did have 15 only 1st shift people on it. Due to people leaving the crappy group I work in (internally to other depts or leaving the company) a full 5 people are left to do everything. They want to have the few remaining people work til our fingers bleed because OT is cheaper than hiring more workers.

3. My supervisor is not fun to deal with. If he goes over something and you email a follow up question he gets mad. If you don't email a question and then do work wrong he gets mad. I emailed him my circumstances a full FIVE DAYS in advance, time enough to redo motel plans. As usual he did not respond. I feel I did my part and it's his job as a supervisor to respond to questions

4. They did not have to approve my vacation. It was a REQUEST. They could have told me to take it a different time but not now. They could have given me warning that there could be Mand Saturdays and to plan on 5, not 9 days off. If I knew I would only get 5 days off I would have done a smaller vacation nearby, not a large trip were it takes 2 days just to get there and back

5. This company is stone cold greedy. They fired a single mom because she was seriously ill and couldn't come in the work consistently. They recently did away with 50 cent per hour raise for promotions. All raises are cut off once someone makes $39k. Most of us make barely over $30k The company presidents lives in a house worth 700k. I don't think it's out of the realm of reality for them to scape goat a common worker like me because the project is behind schedule

Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 PM

249 posts, read 359,514 times
At my company if you are off M- Fr, then you are guaranteed that Saturday off.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:18 PM

991 posts, read 732,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
3. My supervisor is not fun to deal with. If he goes over something and you email a follow up question he gets mad. If you don't email a question and then do work wrong he gets mad. I emailed him my circumstances a full FIVE DAYS in advance, time enough to redo motel plans. As usual he did not respond. I feel I did my part and it's his job as a supervisor to respond to questions
He doesn't sound like a good supervisor, and considering that you gave him ample time to get back to you if it was important, and considering that he gets mad at anyone who sends follow-up emails, I understand where you're coming from. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You WOULD have changed your travel plans had he emailed you back. He didn't. You COULD have emailed him again, but if you did, he would have gotten mad at you. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think he sounds nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or