Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,577,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I posed this question before but no one has addressed it. For all the people who think that the OP should have cut his vacation short, do you also think he should have done the same thing if his scheduled vacation ran from Wed to Tuesday. Do you think it's reasonable that he should have had to cut a vacation in half to work for a last minute notice weekend day?

As for asking for weekends off at a job where the standard work week is Mon-Friday, I would reiterate what someone else said. Unless you are getting vacation pay for a day, you don't need to request it as a day off. My boss would have a huge problem if I tried to put in for 7 or 9 days of vacation pay because I was rolling weekend days into it. Obviously, it's different if someone works in a situation where weekend days are part of the standard work week, but even for those of us who sometimes put in weekend hours to keep up, those days are not considered part of the standard workweek and do not require someone to put in a formal request for time off, nor are they reimbursed for out of PTO.
Nailed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 AM

403 posts, read 557,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
When are these people going to realize vacation hours do not include weekends. M-f that it people think that weekends are included there not. How hard is this to get into people's heads.

I swear people today are more concerned about not working weekends or overtime, they should be thankfully they have a job. Before I retired I worked 6 day a week for over 15 yrs. never took a vacation always sold it back to the company, had kids to support I worked in a blue collar job for 40 yrs. in that time I might of taken 2 vacations only a week for each one. People today are more worried about how little they can work and how to get more time off.
I used to work at a job where we were required to work 21 straight days every month. Then we would finally get a weekend off, on a rare occasion we'd get 2 straight weekends off, and then start our 21 straight days again. Guess what? If we put in for a M-F vacation, we still got the weekend before and the weekend after off. We didn't need to put in to take off on Saturday and Sunday when we had a vacation scheduled. You know why? Because even though we were working those days and the days were "scheduled" they were not part of our regular shift. They were overtime and at least at my company, you couldn't use time to cover overtime. You either worked it and got paid or didn't work it and lost out on that money.

I also have kids to support, but I make enough money, ad my wife makes enough, that neither of us have to depend on overtime for our kids to be provided for. Do we work overtime? Absolutely if it's required and sometimes if it's voluntary. I mean, who doesn't like extra money? There's no way though that I would cut a family vacation short to go in on a day that they decided to work just at random when I already have a vacation scheduled. In fact, it doesn't even matter if I already have a vacation scheduled or not because MOST companies will allow people to schedule a vacation day on Friday knowing that they are only doing it to avoid working the weekend. They know that if their normal crew on a shift is 20 people and they get 5 people in on a Saturday, they'll still get work done that wouldn't have gotten done if they hadn't scheduled Saturday to begin with. Plus, MOST companies will ask for volunteers a day or two before making it mandatory. If they get enough volunteers, there's no reason to make it mandatory. Plus, let's face it, most of the time, the work done on overtime is easier than the normal job. For instance, I used to work on line at my company. I went in on a Saturday and painted lines on the floor. Another Saturday, I supervised a group of temps while they folded cardboard. I wasn't even a supervisor. When I work over at the end of my shift, I'm often just running trash to the dumpster for the time I work over.

You sound like an old boss of mine when you said we should thankful we have a job. While I agree that we should all be thankful we have jobs, this guy would say that we should be thankful for having a job instead of listening to our valid complaints. For instance, one of the complaints we had recently was they asked for volunteers from outside our department to work a Saturday. We're actually in the department and not a single thing was ever said to us about Saturday so why are people not in the department being asked to work if we aren't? A couple of us brought it up to our boss and he responded with, "Oh well you should just consider yourselves lucky to have a job." He's not our boss anymore. In fact, he is no longer at the company because we made sure we complained every time he said that instead of handling the complaint. Eventually, the company decided they'd had enough of him not doing his job and got rid of him and I don't feel bad about that at all because he wasn't doing his job anyway.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,167 times
Quote:
When are these people going to realize vacation hours do not include weekends. M-f that it people think that weekends are included there not. How hard is this to get into people's heads.

I swear people today are more concerned about not working weekends or overtime, they should be thankfully they have a job. Before I retired I worked 6 day a week for over 15 yrs. never took a vacation always sold it back to the company, had kids to support I worked in a blue collar job for 40 yrs. in that time I might of taken 2 vacations only a week for each one. People today are more worried about how little they can work and how to get more time off.

Make sure you put on your headstone "never took vacations" in the end those things are what really matters. It isn't spending time with your family or anything like that.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:

Of course vacation hours do not include weekends if you ordinarily have weekends off.

The op doesn't work weekends as a rule. The op scheduled vacation months ago, and it included the weekend, which is typically her days off to do with as she likes. A last minute change to the norm is understandable in business, but expecting someone to cut short a vacation they planned and scheduled months earlier is not understandable.

Why is that so difficult to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment