Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I don't think that's right advice for someone who has no money and trying to survive
Maybe not. Just throwing it out there...you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Whatever your situation, and I know it sucks, but really try not to think you are unemployable.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:16 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I am 27, I have been unemployed for almost three years and I got a job about a month ago. I thought I was old, and too fat, but people don't care how you look like. There are people with tattoos at my workplace and with dreads, they still work there.

Not all call centers are horrible. My first call center was boring but not that stressful, I left that because I couldn't juggle school and work. My second was super stressful and I hated it. My third (this one), is laid back and not that stressful. In fact, in this one, I am helping people with their medical issues. So I feel like my work actually matters as opposed to just doing tech support or phone surveys.

I honestly think you should move to a healthier economy and use Craigslist more.
As a woman with locs, I am trying hard to understand how that translates into "don't care what anyone looks like"

OP, when I was unemployed, I found that exercise helped relieve stress. Just go for a walk it may help'

Old 10-16-2014, 06:15 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
What an ignorant statement! No,I am not obese,but I will challenge ignorance & cruelty.
I agree.

Obesity is a problem but I refuse to believe it's all about poor self-control... I know people who eat all kinds of crap and never get fat.

OP I don't know what to tell you... do whatever you can. Downsize, sell things, keep trying... volunteering can be a good way to meet people who might be able to help eventually, and it looks good on a resume.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:24 PM

310 posts, read 685,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
What an ignorant statement! No,I am not obese,but I will challenge ignorance & cruelty.
Why don't you go ahead and educate the seemingly ignorant and cruel.

Wait ..., let me guess ..., people are not actually responsible for anything they do, they are all just victims of circumstance, right? It's either a bad childhood, or a low income neighborhood, or a bad relationship, or ads for products and services that make people sick, it's basically anything but personal responsibility. Got it. I feel enlightened now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Obesity is a problem but I refuse to believe it's all about poor self-control... I know people who eat all kinds of crap and never get fat.
That's great is someone is one of those people. For the rest of us weight is very much a self-control issue. It's a simple energy balance, calories in have to be less than calories out if you want to lose weight. It's somewhat simplistic because not all calories are created equal, but the bottom line still is that weight is a matter of personal responsibility.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post

Wait ..., let me guess ..., people are not actually responsible for anything they do, they are all just victims of circumstance, right? It's either a bad childhood, or a low income neighborhood, or a bad relationship, or ads for products and services that make people sick, it's basically anything but personal responsibility. Got it. I feel enlightened now.

That's great is someone is one of those people. For the rest of us weight is very much a self-control issue. It's a simple energy balance, calories in have to be less than calories out if you want to lose weight. It's somewhat simplistic because not all calories are created equal, but the bottom line still is that weight is a matter of personal responsibility.

Sometimes there is a medical issue. Mine was a thyroid issue; medication helped and I was able to lose and keep off 20 pounds.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
OP, when I was unemployed, I found that exercise helped relieve stress. Just go for a walk it may help'
Being unemployed sucks I know, but I would take advantage of the additional time you have to start exercising or walking or doing something like that. It will make you feel better and help you lose weight. That will boost your confidence and will spill over into your job search and interviews. Another thing you can do is get all the junk food out of the house so when you are stressed and tempted to overeat, it won't be as easy.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
I have worked with obese people in every job since 1999 so they do get hired.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:25 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post

An internet forum won't cure you of your ignorant beliefs.I do hope karma bites you in the posterior one day.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Something like 68% of Americans are overweight. And something like 36% of Americans are obese. We all know people we've worked with who fall into both categories.

In order to get a job, you need skills and confidence. Focus on your ability, not on your body, in trying to get a job. In your life, you can focus on your body and do what you need to do to create a healthier body. It doesn't have to be thin, but in a healthier weight range with cardiovascular fitness through exercise.

RarelyRelocating makes a good point in discussing what you need to convey to a potential employer. Don't just talk about or bulletpoint tasks and skills, you must discuss achievements. How did you go above and beyond? Did you implement any system or procedure to make things more efficient, or to make your department or company more profitable? Write down what your tasks were on a piece of paper and then try hard to remember anything you did to go above and beyond those tasks. Those are the things you want to convey to those hiring.

There are a lot of people just like you, so know that you are not alone. Have confidence in your ability and skills, and focus on those where a job is concerned. Feel good about the great job you can do. Let that light shine and bury the one that says, 'I don't feel good about myself right now.' You must find a way to do this in order to get a job. Confidence is important. Tomorrow is a new day and you can do this.

I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment