Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times

Advertisements

Most have to work 9 to 5 because it provides financial security. If money was no object, I'd do something in the arts. Beats having some boss screwing with you all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
since us office workers now have internet and Email, oh how sweet it is.

no more having to talk on the phone, talk to kids and friends all day long, boss never knows.
Surf the net when bored, love that, shop online and never have to go to a store, have stuff delivered to the office, never have to go to the post office.....

drink coffee, take extra 15 minutes for lunch.

lots of benefits.....to a 8-4 job, one being leaving at 4, getting home at 4:15

love an office job, private cubicle, itunes on my computer and la la la la la.........

Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Love working in a office

control the flow of my day

Nice benefits

two 15 min breaks

Delicious breakfast at my desk in the morning

Read the news websites during lunch

My own private area

Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
well some parts of your posts i can relate to.
why 9 to 5?
answer
bek we were shamed into thinking blue collar trade jobs are dirty.
next question
why not become a doctor?
bek most dont have what it takes to be one
next question
why not become an artist?
learned it at 26. keep your money and your art separate. when you try to pay the rent with you money from art you will end up hating your lousy life and art too.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM

403 posts, read 557,275 times
Many people that start their own business end up spending more time at work than somebody who works a full-time job. They can't justify hiring somebody until the business is profitable and stays that way for a bit. Even then, those people will still quite a bit of their time either at their business or doing things that benefit their business. That is, if the business is successful at all. Even if it ends up being a successful business, the chances of a person starting a small store in their hometown and it becoming as big as Wal-Mart is extremely small.

I'm not a business owner, but I am self-employed. I'm an independent contract and if I want to make money, then a lot of times that requires working hours like 8am-9pm Monday-Friday and then something like 10am-3 or 4pm on Saturdays. I have no desire to change humanity, only to provide for my wife and kids.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
since us office workers now have internet and Email, oh how sweet it is.

no more having to talk on the phone, talk to kids and friends all day long, boss never knows.
Surf the net when bored, love that, shop online and never have to go to a store, have stuff delivered to the office, never have to go to the post office.....

drink coffee, take extra 15 minutes for lunch.

lots of benefits.....to a 8-4 job, one being leaving at 4, getting home at 4:15

love an office job, private cubicle, itunes on my computer and la la la la la.........
Some places may not allow their employees do what's mentioned above

Old 10-23-2014, 03:48 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
Many people that start their own business end up spending more time at work than somebody who works a full-time job. They can't justify hiring somebody until the business is profitable and stays that way for a bit. Even then, those people will still quite a bit of their time either at their business or doing things that benefit their business. That is, if the business is successful at all. Even if it ends up being a successful business, the chances of a person starting a small store in their hometown and it becoming as big as Wal-Mart is extremely small.

I'm not a business owner, but I am self-employed. I'm an independent contract and if I want to make money, then a lot of times that requires working hours like 8am-9pm Monday-Friday and then something like 10am-3 or 4pm on Saturdays. I have no desire to change humanity, only to provide for my wife and kids.
This. I can't believe people think that being your own boss is the life. I was my own boss and now that I have a boss again I am more relaxed and when I leave the office, it doesn't follow me home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment