U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,344,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
9-5 office jobs are low-risk/high-reward.

As far as the arts, are you familiar with the term "Starving Artist?"

As far as starting your own business, most fail when first starting out.
This is pretty much it.

I have to admit, I love 9-5. It's stable, consistent and in many cases you can leave work at work and enjoy the rest of your life, which can include travel, creative projects, etc. I don't mind not making millions as long as I'm surviving.

The death of 9-5 is the rise of maximum work for minimum reward with a high chance of failure, and then some people get lucky. It's not a risk the majority of people should have to take... they just do it because they're forced to by all of the emphasis on 'efficiency' cutting out formerly stable, middle class jobs in favor of precarious 'opportunities' and low-paying shift work that wreaks havoc on your physical health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,020,804 times
I like having a steady paycheck I can rely on, not to mention health insurance, sick time, vacation time, etc. I don't deal well with uncertainty. A 9 to 5 job isn't a guarantee; I was laid off from a job like that after working for the company for eight years, but it sure beats the instability of owning your own business or doing something "artsy" (you're only as employable as your last success!). Oh, another perk of most full time, steady jobs - severance pay.

Let's face it - the world needs "worker bees" like me. I always say that I make a better Indian than a chief!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:42 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,344,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
Plenty of people can make a living in the arts, but it indeed requires "talent," which is not God-given but can be developed through practice. Working in an office requires no talent and no real skill. How can anyone feel satisfied not truly giving their best to the world?
In this society, I really don't think that being in the arts requires artistic talent.... more like you need to know what sells and have the right connections. I mean, have you seen some of the godawful scheize on TV, in popular music, in the movies, etc.? How hard is it to put together 28 comic book movies with the same plot, the same second act twist, the same themes, etc?

I'd say look into Christian entertainment, because they will consume anything that tells them they're right and is approved by their political masters. It doesn't even have to be good, or original, or entertaining. I've often thought about doing this, even though I'm a die hard atheist. I know I could do better than God's Not Dead. The problem is making it dumb enough to avoid challenging any of their assumptions.

The real problem is too many businessmen and not enough artists in the arts. Sometimes the starving is actually worth it... but not if you only really wanted to be rich and famous and have everyone tell you you're great. Usually the people who got into the arts for that reason realize what they really wanted was to be comfortable, so they chase the money instead... and unless you're connected, that typically involves finding something else to do. There's no shame in it... at least they're being honest with themselves.

Last edited by Spatula City; 10-16-2014 at 06:51 AM..

4,103 posts, read 4,014,697 times
Quote:
The era of the The Beatles is long gone, but I know people who have full time jobs in the music industry, as sound engineers for instance. They are offering something unique, they aren't just another corporate clone for HR to boss around. When you're good at something it's no longer a hobby, it's a skill.
You COULD view me as a corporate clone, or you could view me as someone who spends 50+ hours a week ensuring that all of the events that take place in a multibillion dollar supply chain are properly recorded into our financials so that investors from WallStreet to yahoofinance amateur traders have the most accurate information that they need in order to make an informed decision about the strength of the company and its stock. But....you know....its not as "cool" as holding a guitar right? 13 year old girls don't tape a poster of my face to their ceilings.

Brb, about to have a conference call with our Goldman Sachs analyst.....

5,368 posts, read 5,722,424 times
Id rather make 6 figures working for someone else than slave away at a juice stand that I "own".

Old 10-16-2014, 06:50 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,390,875 times
Quote:
It is so much "cooler" to go into the arts in some capacity or start your own business, and much more rewarding. What motivates people even to consider working the typical cubical job for a for-profit organization like an insurance agency?
I don't understand why people would choose this career path over working for themselves or doing something that benefits humanity, like law, politics, academia, or medicine.
You already answered your own question.

You've posted that you majored in Art History and are unemployed. So why aren't you starting your "own business"? The 9-5 companys you look down on ARE someone's "business". And have shareholders INVESTING in them.

You also posted:

Quote:
I had one internship as a receptionist at a museum, but unfortunately it didn't get much traffic during my hours so I ended up staring into space.
Furthermore, there is nothing about politics or law or academia that "benefit humanity" there are ENTIRELY TOO MANY OF THOSE SELF SERVING PEOPLE in the world destroying it.

The country needs to OPERATE and create wealth for it's citizens and advance their standard of living. Paying people to stay home and not work or get free food from taxpayers is NOT benefiting them. It creates a culture of weakness and dependency.

Wandering around a museum pontificating is of no benefit to society but a person working in an insurance office helping Florida residents protect their number one asset from becoming worthless in a hurricane is a tangible benefit to SOCIETY.

It's because of lawyers and politicians that we even NEED insurance, FFS. Just for one example.

Why do you think there's no ebola vaccine or medication? Because LIBERALS and the uninformed have demonized "big pharma" while still voting in corrupt politicians including OBAMA who refused to take action on TORT REFORM against his biggest DONORS (lawyers) but forcing Obamacare down the country's throat.

The world needs both. Starving artists and PRODUCERS. Pick your path.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-16-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,964,598 times
stability , not having to work weekends, health benefits , decent pay (though highly dependent on what type of office job you have, your responsibility, do you oversee anybody etc...), I will be the first to admit a 9-5 office job (at least the one I am currently in) is not the most exciting thing in the world but it pays the bills so I am happy. Honestly yes I would rather do something more creative but I do not see myself making enough money to support myself so for now 9-5 office job it is.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,617,164 times
Not sure why anyone thinks they know what others should aspire to or not.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 AM

8,475 posts, read 4,666,568 times
I'd rather be a part-time artist than a starving one.

With that said, every "9-5" job I have had in the past decade has rarely resulted into actually starting work at 9am and leaving at 5pm.

When I see/hear discussions like this, first thought that comes to mind: grow up (depending on their age) and reality check.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:24 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,818,259 times
Um, food, shelter, you know, survival. Pretty basic stuff OP.

Liberal arts degree, eh? Better get used to saying 'You want fries with that?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or