Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:54 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
It is so much "cooler" to go into the arts in some capacity or start your own business, and much more rewarding. What motivates people even to consider working the typical cubical job for a for-profit organization like an insurance agency?
I don't understand why people would choose this career path over working for themselves or doing something that benefits humanity, like law, politics, academia, or medicine.
1. If you grew up poor and reminded of that fact daily, you would not be asking this.

Sounds like you are very lucky on multiple and should recognize this. Please understand and respect the many people who need to, or feel most comfortable, making different choices than you. Things like stability, needing to provide for dependants, etc influence these people.

2. Most of the "9-5" jobs you can make big bucks at over "non-profits." This is important to a different kind of person. Don't judge them either. It makes them just as happy (if not happier) than helping humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
The great thing about a 9-5 job, especially one that pays well, is it gives time for people to pursue other interests. There are a few people where I work that are also seriously engaged in the arts during their free time, one for example makes small sculptures that hold candles, another paints some sort of "3d art" that combines painting with some ceramic pieces. I have a friend that does not do office work, but has a steady schedule, and engages in wood working as a hobby.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Quote:
It is so much "cooler" to go into the arts in some capacity or start your own business, and much more rewarding. What motivates people even to consider working the typical cubical job for a for-profit organization like an insurance agency?
I don't understand why people would choose this career path over working for themselves or doing something that benefits humanity, like law, politics, academia, or medicine.
Because people naturally want to take the path of least resistance. Working for someone else is very low-risk vs. working for yourself. Some people don't want the stress of running a business (who can blame them?) Many people would also prefer a steady paycheck, even if the steady paycheck pays 1/1000ths of what they could potentially make as an entrepreneur. "Potential" however doesn't pay the bills..

Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Cooler? Do you even know what cool means? Having something unique with high demand. Ok fine but if you cannot replicate it then you cannot sell it. If you cannot sell it then how will you make more income?

If you want to have a hobby that's fine but keep in mind much of what we see is not *really* original.
Here's some examples

1) Apple - much of it is unix based. it's pretty much freebsd. Anything said to be new is new to it not to smartphones or computers themselves. They also don't make their hardware either as it's mostly intel and samsung

2) Media . How many tv shows have the nerd (head of the class), alien (alf), quirky immigrant (perfect strangers) etc. Sometimes you simply copy what exists from another time or place and assume that people would not know the difference.
Ex. Family Guy (2000's). Stewie is a ripoff of Rik from BBC's The Young Ones (early 1980s). The Young One's was a ripoff of the Monkees (1960's). Starwars was the Magnificent Seven which was the Seven Samori, Blade Runner and Apocalypse now are pretty close in many scenes. Heck this even goes back hundreds if not thousands of years. West Side Story is Romeo and Juliet which itself is based on greek tragedies. Anything that is the "journey home" is Homer's Odyssey

3) In the face of music there will never be another band as big as say the Beatles or Elvis or Michael Jackson. The era of giant 50k packed stadiums is gone as well. Back in the 1990's bands blamed agents and record companies for sucking up their cash. Well now they are gone so bands have to do their own marketing themselves.

Some businesses are hobbies for a reason.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:58 PM

427 posts, read 500,011 times
The era of the The Beatles is long gone, but I know people who have full time jobs in the music industry, as sound engineers for instance. They are offering something unique, they aren't just another corporate clone for HR to boss around. When you're good at something it's no longer a hobby, it's a skill.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Some of us like to have a steady paycheck, with a relatively pleasant work environment (climate-controlled, with amenities easily on-hand - food, drink, a bathroom)
Agreed. I mean I love the arts, but I would do my artwork on the side as a supplemental income. I would much prefer a steady paycheck, then true passions on the side to supplement it. I like working in an office, though...

Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Lol. This while post is hilarious.

I didn't read all the responses so pardon if some of this was already said but...an office job can be very "cool" and prestigious, depending on the organization you're with and your role. Bain, Mcinsey, the Big Four, many many others.

And it can be very rewarding. And how can you to understand why someone would choose that career path than others? Makes me think you kow nothing about the real world and a career...like really nothing.

Lastly, you think that lawyers, or politicians, or the police benefit humanity? Now who's being naive Michael?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,618 times
Also its a sense of normalcy, 9-5 Monday to Friday gives you the chance to have dinner with your family, do things on weekends and get holidays off, other careers don't sometimes offer that so I think a lot of people are comfortable with it.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I'd take a "boring" office job over working in retail, factory line work, or fast food (things I fortunately haven't had to do for quite a few years).

Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM

427 posts, read 500,011 times
I don't live in the "real world" like most people, but my twin sister is a single mother and is working on a degree to become a marketer (we are both young). I know how the world works, to address those in doubt. But I am still merely an observer.

I just wonder if people really DREAM about being a businessman or accountant, or other jobs in that category. I could see a desk job like being a detective could be incredibly fulfilling but not the sort of job where you primarily assist your boss make more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment