Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
what you all think of this?

Right-wing Jimmy John
Is that link suppose to be a legitimate news source, or is it merely a cover for a liberal left wing blog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Is that link suppose to be a legitimate news source, or is it merely a cover for a liberal left wing blog?
A legitimate new source with facts would make it a liberal blog. That's okay (and understandable) if you're a conservative given the lack of factual coverage available.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Ugh...should have checked the source edit.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
This is a widely reported, well-sourced story.

Here's a link (paywalled) in the not-all-at-liberal Wall Street Journal.

Litigation Over Noncompete Clauses Is Rising - WSJ
You tell us it's widely reported and then you link us to a paywalled article?

The article based on it's title may not even have anything to do with jimmy johns nor explain why this is some sort of "right wing" thing.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You tell us it's widely reported and then you link us to a paywalled article?
It's not my fault the right-wing papers are money-gouging. You can find dozens of stories with a quick google. They trace back to a Huffingon Post story that has been reported very widely and Jimmy John's has never rebutted the substance of the charge.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ompete&spell=1

Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
It's not my fault the right-wing papers are money-gouging. You can find dozens of stories with a quick google. They trace back to a Huffingon Post story that has been reported very widely and Jimmy John's has never rebutted the substance of the charge.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ompete&spell=1
1. I found some articles but they didn't start out with "right wing" but rather just Jimmy Johns. Kinda makes the first source sound oh....biased?

2. Then surprise surprise I see you blaming money-gouging right wing papers lmao...I guess other papers are non-profits that don't charge for their papers? LMAO. Anyway, thanks for being a shing example of my earlier point that people shut their brains off when they are being told what they want to hear.

The OP could have just started out with a legit news source but they, like many on the far right, just want to politicize everything.

Lastly, the reason a company might require EVERYONE to sign them is that it makes them more enforceable on the higher ups. Since they aren't enforcing the non-compete the article is a lot of sound and fury over nothing but it sure makes for a nice political flambe.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Since they aren't enforcing the non-compete the article is a lot of sound and fury over nothing but it sure makes for a nice political flambe.

It isn't sound and fury over nothing because 18 year old minimum wage workers aren't legal scholars and most would find it very hard to pay a lawyer to give them legal advice about the contract. Jimmy John's is telling lies, very deliberately, to their employees in order to scare the employees into thinking if they quit, they won't be able to get another job. They are doing this to make it harder for employees to look for other work and thus keep the amount paid in wages lower.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:20 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,637 times
oh yea jimmy johns is going to make you skilled labor?lol what your worried you cant go work for mcdonalds?

Old 10-17-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It isn't sound and fury over nothing because 18 year old minimum wage workers aren't legal scholars and most would find it very hard to pay a lawyer to give them legal advice about the contract. Jimmy John's is telling lies, very deliberately, to their employees in order to scare the employees into thinking if they quit, they won't be able to get another job. They are doing this to make it harder for employees to look for other work and thus keep the amount paid in wages lower.
So you are saying that an 18 yo can't type "Jimmy Johns non-compete" into google?

The article I read specifically talking to JJ employees basically had them completely blowing it off and citing how they pretty much ignore it and that nobody enforces it.

Sound and fury for political points.

They occasionally play Rush Limbaugh snippets on my morning news radio station and I listen shaking my head as he takes stuff just like this to rant about liberals. lol. What a pile of tripe.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The article I read specifically talking to JJ employees basically had them completely blowing it off and citing how they pretty much ignore it and that nobody enforces it.
It's illegal to enforce it. It's a pretty clear indication of what they would do if it were legal.

They are also being sued for requiring people to work off the clock.

Jimmy John's Accused Of 'Systematic Wage Theft'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment