U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,547,228 times

Advertisements

I just started my second week of a really awesome job. It took me a month of doing paper work and getting on board. I get along well with my co-workers and the five boys that I help at the middle school are great.

Today, the area administrator during lunch approached me and said that he is going to transfer me to an elementary school to fill a spot where some one just quit. I told him "Do I have a choice?" and I said I like where am I at and gave him reasons for why I'd like to stay. Then he get defensive and started trying to convince me to make this transfer and then threw at me, take it or you won't have a job, and then he rescinded saying that he will let the person in charge of teacher aids know my opinion.

I told my immediate supervisor and she and my principal were shocked. They didn't even let them know I was going to be transferred. My principal is going to see what he can do.

I just graduated from college and working in an elementary school would be more of a teacher assistant job. Right now, I am more like a case manager where I monitor and work on behaviors. I already have experience as a teacher assistant it won't help advance my career. I want to eventually work as a case manager for a county mental health department or in a homeless shelter.

My supervisor said they are short male instructional assistants right now and that I am in demand. She said they desperately need a male IA at my middle school and also at the elementary school.

My concern is if I leave the boys I am working with, they will have a melt down. They don't do well with change. They already went through two changes this year. I replaced a female IA who got another job and also replaced the substitute IA until I came on.

I want to say to these administrators shame on them for what they are doing to these boys. I have a brother who is autistic and it's hard with him for change and I understand.

Anyways, any advice is great. I was almost considering going to the next school board meeting, but not sure it will do me any good at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:11 AM

17,359 posts, read 14,876,098 times
This is just part of life, you're at the bottom of the totem pole. My niece is a teacher, she subbed for 2 years before she got a full time teaching job for 7th grade. She loved it, but the second year they told her they were moving her to second grade. She didn't like it, but she went. I am an OT who works in nursing homes, we get sent to other facilities our company owns when they are short. No one wants to go (one of them is in a ghetto area) but in today's economy you go where you are needed.

IMO you should go and not bi*** about it, it is part of life and if you go around school complaining about it, it is going to make you look bad.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 7,329,814 times
I respect the work you are doing and your concerns for the boys. However, don't mentally set yourself up as a "savior" or a martyr. Do you personally plan on being in those boys' lives for the rest of your career?

Change is a part of life that everyone has to deal with. Those boys will be fine should you leave.

If you don't want to leave, try to fight it. However, if you lose your job over refusing to transfer, guess what? You'll still be out of the boys' lives but with the added distraction of being unemployed.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I respect the work you are doing and your concerns for the boys. However, don't mentally set yourself up as a "savior" or a martyr. Do you personally plan on being in those boys' lives for the rest of your career?

Change is a part of life that everyone has to deal with. Those boys will be fine should you leave.

If you don't want to leave, try to fight it. However, if you lose your job over refusing to transfer, guess what? You'll still be out of the boys' lives but with the added distraction of being unemployed.
I have another job offer lined up if it's transfer or be terminated.

How do I fight this? Would going to the school board or union rep help?

Being at the elementary will not advance my career. I'm better of taking the other job offer to advance my career.

I'd like to stay at the middle school because I don't like transferring jobs and the other job offer would mean less pay and I wouldn't be full time.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 7 days ago)

17,485 posts, read 8,589,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have another job offer lined up if it's transfer or be terminated.

How do I fight this? Would going to the school board or union rep help?

Being at the elementary will not advance my career. I'm better of taking the other job offer to advance my career.

I'd like to stay at the middle school because I don't like transferring jobs and the other job offer would mean less pay and I wouldn't be full time.

It not only wouldn't help, it would mark you as a problem employee and you'd probably have trouble finding work in the future.

Part of being in the workforce is accepting the fact that you have to go where you are needed. Flexibility is an important trait to have as an employee. There is no good reason for you to be so resistant. Even if you quit and take the other job, you won't be where you wanted to be in the first place and you will have put a big scarlet letter on your chest that future employers won't like.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It not only wouldn't help, it would mark you as a problem employee and you'd probably have trouble finding work in the future.

Part of being in the workforce is accepting the fact that you have to go where you are needed. Flexibility is an important trait to have as an employee. There is no good reason for you to be so resistant. Even if you quit and take the other job, you won't be where you wanted to be in the first place and you will have put a big scarlet letter on your chest that future employers won't like.
I don't know what scarlet letter you are talking about, but you sound like you are not on the side of the workers.

I took that job based on the fact it was in middle school and that was mentioned in interview. If they don't want to come up with a place where both parties are happy, then that's on them and they can have 2 positions to fill.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 PM

9,364 posts, read 15,836,238 times
I agree with M1; go to the school board if you are tired of working there. It has nothing to do with being on anyone's side. Scheduling is a management right and is probably specifically referred to as such in your union contract. The administrator is not making scheduling decisions to advance your career; he is making scheduling decisions to fill a void. Get used to it. That is how real life works. If all of the custodians left the elem. school tomorrow, a custodian will be told that his new assignment is at the elem. school. It is fortunate that you have another job lined up because, if you didn't, other hiring managers would view you as someone who is childish, immature, and quits when they don't get their own way. That is the scarlet letter M1 is talking about.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:19 PM

well they did not make it clear that i could be transferred to other schools. i was lead to believe the job would be at that school and that school only

Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 7 days ago)

17,485 posts, read 8,589,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
well they did not make it clear that i could be transferred to other schools. i was lead to believe the job would be at that school and that school only

Unless they stated you would be at that school and never transferred, it may have been something you assumed.

It isn't a matter of taking sides. There are no sides. It isn't them against you. They have a need and they are moving you over to the other school. It happens.

Joe is spot on in his post. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it's the correct one.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 PM

I will at least give them a two week notice. I will explain I took the job for either middle or high school to further my career and I see working at elementary as just a job and I won't be long term.

Today turned out in a bit for my favor. The principal stood up for me and I got a couple more days at the middle school until a decision is reached.

Apparently working in high school may be an option.

I have one interview planned for next week, but like I said it's a lower pay and per diem job, but its at a job more related to work I'd want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or