Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:22 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,713,878 times

Advertisements

What types of jobs allow this? Do you have a job like this?

I find myself getting 'itchy feet' no matter where I move to. Maybe I've got some gypsy in my blood or something, but I think part of me likes to move...and maybe another part of me is just trying to find the right place 'for me'. I've been in Chicago for 2 years now and could take it or leave it at this point...every time I visit Miami while on vacation I fantasize about moving there to live on the beach.

Anywho, I landed a job I've been wanting for years now so part of me thinks it would be irresponsible to leave it for the sole purpose of living somewhere new (again). I had the thought of asking to work remotely one week a month or two weeks every two months, but I don't think that would go over well lol. (Most people here work from home 1-2 days a week...so I thought "why not"? That would allow me to at least experience a different place every other month or so, although it wouldn't be for long.)

So I started thinking, maybe if I had a job that didn't care where my home was based, I could live wherever I wanted...whenever I wanted. Right now the only job I can think of I can transition into that would allow me this flexibility would be that of a CRA (Clinical Research Associate):
Clinical Research Associate (#4) - Best Jobs - CNNMoney

I currently work in pharma research so I'm thinking I could maybe get a job like this. Only issue (and it's a big one) is it requires MAJOR travel, so I'd get to live where I want but I would barely ever be home.

Anyone like to move and do the kind of work that allows them to do that often...or travel to places you WANT to go often..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
You can look into jobs that require you to travel. Maybe 40%-50% travel. Then the other time you are usually working remotely. This is common.

Or you can look at jobs that require 75% -100% travel. Then you get to check out different locations on a regular basis and you don't have to pay for the travel or your food. A bonus - these travel jobs often pay more than comparitive jobs with no travel.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,442,452 times
Get the book "4 Hour Work Week" (or borrow it from you local library: WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog)

The basic steps he outlines are:

- You need a job that can be done remotely (i.e. you can't fix cars, babysit, clean windows, etc. remotely)
- Be the best worker in your office.
- Call in sick but do a ton of work during that time.
- Impress your boss that you got a lot done at home even though you were sick, then ask him if you can try working remotely again.
- Get a lot more work done remotely vs. in the office then persuade your boss to get you to work more from home.

You may need to adapt some steps depending on the nature of your work but I've done this and been able to work from home as long as my boss is away (and he travels for his job frequently.)

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM

480 posts, read 666,375 times
The problem is that if you do a job 100% remotely, it could also be done by someone in India for a lot less than you.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Get the book "4 Hour Work Week" (or borrow it from you local library: WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog)

The basic steps he outlines are:

- You need a job that can be done remotely (i.e. you can't fix cars, babysit, clean windows, etc. remotely)
- Be the best worker in your office.
- Call in sick but do a ton of work during that time.
- Impress your boss that you got a lot done at home even though you were sick, then ask him if you can try working remotely again.
- Get a lot more work done remotely vs. in the office then persuade your boss to get you to work more from home.

You may need to adapt some steps depending on the nature of your work but I've done this and been able to work from home as long as my boss is away (and he travels for his job frequently.)

Interesting. I'll check it out. I feel like I always get more work done when at home. I have a 3 hour commute total daily...by the time I get to work in the mornings I'm tired lol.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:58 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
The problem is that if you do a job 100% remotely, it could also be done by someone in India for a lot less than you.
True, but if you have to travel within the US, it takes that variable away.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,154,894 times
We did this, but for the the opposite reason of the OP. We wanted to stay put for a while and the only way to avoid another move was for my husband to move into a position where it didn't matter where we lived. So, he did that and spent half the month working remotely from home in the U.S. and the other half on site in Europe. He LOVED this job, but he did move on from it when a local position became available to him. He has been traveling for 16 years and its time to stick around home while the kids finish up school. I can absolutely see him going back to the work remote/travel arrangement when the kids have moved out.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
It's rare to find someone that starts a new job and works from home immediately. I know many people in various industries that work from home, including several of my current employees. In every case, they worked in the office 3-4 years to prove their competence and reliability before being allowed to telecommute. Also, in most cases they still have to report to the office at least once a week, and for some meetings. Others are self employed consultants on the technical or creative side that have an established client base.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
We did this, but for the the opposite reason of the OP. We wanted to stay put for a while and the only way to avoid another move was for my husband to move into a position where it didn't matter where we lived. So, he did that and spent half the month working remotely from home in the U.S. and the other half on site in Europe. He LOVED this job, but he did move on from it when a local position became available to him. He has been traveling for 16 years and its time to stick around home while the kids finish up school. I can absolutely see him going back to the work remote/travel arrangement when the kids have moved out.
What industry was he in?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM

7,713 posts, read 12,583,397 times
If you work as a speech pathologist you can live pretty much anywhere and get good pay because they are in demand everywhere. I'd look into that if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment