U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM

595 posts, read 2,032,618 times

Advertisements

I did give an explanation…focus on your work. If you have enough downtime to help unpack boxes, then kick it up a notch and start asking for more work.

As to Mystique13's viewpoint on her holding a grudge, maybe she will, maybe she won't. But if you keep the FOCUS on your work, it shouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:30 PM

3,284 posts, read 6,289,768 times
There are more important battles to fight, OP.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:38 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
"Boosane can you do me a favor?"

"Sure coworker what's up"

"I'm moving a couple of things out of the garage and I think these boxes would be perfect for storage."

" yeah, sure..."
She's not making you do anything. She's asked for a favor and you said yes. Next time when she asks for a favor, instead of saying yes without knowing what it is, ask her what it is first and then reply.

"Could you do me a favor?"
"what do you need?"
"Boxes."
"Sorry, I have X, Y and Z to do get now. If you need help to carry them over for you to unpack, maybe you could ask Tom, or Phil? My back has been giving me some trouble this week and I don't want to make it worse."

And being pregnant can really suck, btw. Some women are fortunate and can carry potato sacks without a problem, whereas other women have problems with carrying groceries in from the car.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM

365 posts, read 363,394 times
Quote:
This is the 2nd time she's asked.
Is she forcing you?
No .. YOU are making the CHOICE to help her

Is she using you?
Maybe... maybe not. It could also be just an overreaction.

You said this is only the 2nd time she asked! Ever think she won't need any more?

Also, how many boxes was it each time?
I mean.. did she ask you to unpack 2-3 boxes the first time and then 1 - 2 boxes the second time?
Are the boxes massive or something that takes 1-2 minutes to do

Is she nice/polite/giving in other ways?
Example, I have coworkers who let me sample their food, or offer to get me something from the vending machine. Or they have offered to take care of something I was working on. If they ask me for a favor.. or 2... or 3... I would not have a problem.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:47 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,122,373 times
Just say "I'm a bit busy at the moment, can you find someone else to help with that?"

I'm pretty sure that would solve your problem.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:12 PM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
I've been at my new job for around 2 months now and one of my pregnant coworkers who is training me has been making me do favors for her like unpacking boxes so she can take the boxes home for her storage.

How am I supposed to feel about this? I definitely didn't sign up to do labor. Does she perceive me as the idiot who she can push around? I never see her ask our male boss to do any if it.
Say no.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:32 PM

13,438 posts, read 15,041,010 times
Wow...

What's it take, 10 seconds to break down a box? I've changed tires for female coworkers before and never thought anything of it.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:12 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,159,413 times
No wonder people are so disconnected these days.

A coworker asks for his help two times and she's suddenly a total witch who is out to trick him into doing every task for her because she's lazy and conniving and evil. There's a total jump of logic.

If you want to be nice and have time, help her out. If you don't want to be nice and don't have time, say, "Sorry, I can't," like some of the more reasonable people on this thread said.

Just because you do something for someone else doesn't mean you are being taken advantage of. Maybe you're just a nice guy. Imagine that.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM

7,622 posts, read 8,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
No wonder people are so disconnected these days.

A coworker asks for his help two times and she's suddenly a total witch who is out to trick him into doing every task for her because she's lazy and conniving and evil. There's a total jump of logic.

If you want to be nice and have time, help her out. If you don't want to be nice and don't have time, say, "Sorry, I can't," like some of the more reasonable people on this thread said.

Just because you do something for someone else doesn't mean you are being taken advantage of. Maybe you're just a nice guy. Imagine that.
I absolutely agree with this!!

Also, I'm curious if the boxes needed to be unpacked? I'm assuming the answer is yes, so what is the harm in doing it? Her taking the boxes for her house is just the by-product of the activity; unpacking them, because that is what the business needs, is helping the company, not necessarily her.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
This wouldn't bother me, as I'm more than capable of moving boxes. If she starts asking for money or rides then no. If it eats into your work, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or