U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 11:36 PM

50 posts, read 46,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Several questions, two related to your request, one for my own edification and possibly to help answer your question.

1) Why do you want to be a LEO?
2) How old are you?
3) What race and sex are you?

As to my semi-non related question, why do you not capitalize the beginning of your sentances, and why do you not capitalize when you say "i" ?
1) I don't a job where I sit inside for 8 hours and it's different each day. Plus I'd b doing good by serving a community.
2) 30
3) male and black

To answer your non related question. Calm down. It's the Internet...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Best of luck to you.

Sometimes I think people on this forum are overly dramatic, but in this case, I do see their points that you should give up hoping for a career in law enforcement (particularly being on the 'front lines' in uniform, I don't know how this field handles applicants for other supportive roles within law enforcement).

I sense that perhaps you weren't too happy about being told the brutal honest truth by some, and in fact you are still clinging to hopes of making it one day. Maybe you wanted more forum members to support you and say you should go for it and never give up.

But when actual law enforcement people are telling you it's not a good chance at all, I think that tells you something.

Being 16, 17 years old and doing something impulsive and stupid is one thing, being 23 years old and willingly trying to pass a fake bill to purchase something is a completely different matter.

Sorry if I sound harsh to you, I'd be the first to congratulate you if you do by chance are able to enter the field of law enforcement. But just trying to be honest here myself.
I was looking for honest opinions. I have thick skin. Nothing on the Internet is going to disturb me. Great points were brought which what I was looking for. It just the nature of my charge is what gets me turned away. Dumb mistakes. Can't do anything about now but work toward somthing else obviously.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:41 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
Basically, bqack in 2007 i was caught trying to use a fake $100 bill in a Sears in my local mall. plead no contest, got 3 years informal probation(no daily PO), and paid small fine.

since then i have no other trouble, got my AA in criminal justice, and after probation, i filed a 1204.3, to have my charge changed to not guilty/dismissed. i know for law enforcement agencies they can see everything but had it done for private sector jobs.

my first choice is trying to be a Correctional Officer. i went thru the process a few years ago and the background lady said it wont auto DQ me but will look into further. i ended up up being DQ'ed for my credit issues, smh.

last year applied again but was late to the test, smh.

so i will apply again in a few weeks since i had to wait a year, as a last ditch effort. i have no financial issues this time around. *crossing fingers*

also tried applying for Oakland PD. passed the written, the PAT, and oral board then got placed on the eligibility list. that was about 18 months ago.

the only agency that i didnt get into cause of background, im assuming because they dont say why, was my local county sheriff but they say you can't have any issues with fraud and trying to use fake money is just that.

soo i know a lot of PD agencies say you cant have issues with moral aptitude or something along those lines, would it be jus my best interest to move on from the law enforcement field and do something else?

educated opinions are greatly appreciated..
Military Police, you will gain a lot of training.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 AM

12,628 posts, read 12,065,272 times
You should continue aiming for the corrections job, they usually (I say usually, depends where you are at) have opening due to the turn over rate, and seem more accepting of past issues (as in lower standards) due to this turn over rate.

Also, try for positions that are with the system, but not specifically a corrections position, like a cook or something. Depending on the place you are working, all positions have to go through a background check, once you clear this hurdle and are hired, it is just a hop over to something more in line with what you want and you are applying as an insider.

I only know this because I know someone who had background issues (nothing major), but got hired on at a state correctional facility in maintenance. He then applied and got accepted as a corrections officer, and later he applied and got accepted as an LEO with a county in the state, but he had to relocate for that one.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:13 AM

788 posts, read 786,917 times
You can probably get on with State Corrections. If they turn you down you could still probably get into a private prison like CCA or The Geo Group.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 AM

238 posts, read 238,219 times
There are very few people these days with flawless backgrounds and even less who want to be LEO's.

My experience has been that people who have experienced less-than-felonious (isolated) problems in their life and have mitigated them by keeping their nose clean over time, can often overcome their background. The key is time. You need to establish a good track record before any agency will take a chance on you. You also need to be completely and utterly forthright and OWN all of your issues. I think if I were a hiring official I would rather have someone who has gone through issues and come out stronger and better than someone who may become a problem once I hire them. So if I hire someone a little older who has life experience (good and bad) and they have clearly overcome the bad, I'm far more interested in that person than I may be the kid fresh out of college with no track record and who may be out on his days off getting plastered and acting like a jackass but just hasn't been caught yet.

There has been a huge drop in police applicants in many parts of the US and it's become very difficult for agencies to recruit. Part of this is due to the quality of prospective applicants, and part is because of how the police are being treated by society.

People make mistakes and cops are people. In many cases prospective officers who have overcome some of the problems and struggles seen by society at large become better cops and better correctional officers and have better judgement than some of those who come from the "Leave it to Beaver", high school to college path. The key is that you MUST have actually changed yourself and you need to genuinely articulate HOW you have done that. If you haven't changed yourself then, yeah, stay away from the field as it already has enough d-bags. But don't necessarily listen to the harsh comments by people who come off as if their backgrounds are as clean as the driven snow. It's not the mistakes that count as much as how you have dealt with them and how much time between has passed. In your case you may, or may not, need more of a track record. I can't say. I have to say that a "dismissed" or expunged arrest is almost negligible for some agencies---depending on what you're trying to do.

Last edited by scoobydew; 10-19-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
There are very few people these days with flawless backgrounds and even less who want to be LEO's.

I have to say that a "dismissed" or expunged arrest is almost negligible for some agencies---depending on what you're trying to do.
yea i jus went and had it dismissed for private sector jobs. gov't agencies dont care as they see it anyway. thank you for the encouragement as well....

Old 10-19-2014, 03:17 PM

14,966 posts, read 8,529,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
I was looking for honest opinions. I have thick skin. Nothing on the Internet is going to disturb me. Great points were brought which what I was looking for. It just the nature of my charge is what gets me turned away. Dumb mistakes. Can't do anything about now but work toward somthing else obviously.
Well I wish you best, there are some good differing opinions above so doesn't hurt to keep trying in some way.

You never know until you try.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:48 PM

6,762 posts, read 9,742,757 times
Deceased Officer Pesina was hired by the Balcones Heights Police Department even though he had a juvenile criminal record and a family member who was a gang member. He even admitted to committing crimes in adulthood for which he was never arrested. Later, an officer reported to the chief of police that Pesina had gang-related tattoos, but the chief did nothing. Pesina was killed earlier this year gangland style by people with a possible connection to the Mexican Mafia. There is hope for you. Small police departments tend to have lower standards.

Private corrections companies like Geo Group and Corrections Corporation of America will hire almost anyone. Security companies will also hire almost anyone who doesn't have a felony or recent Class A or B misdemeanor on record, but the pay is low. They usually don't do thorough background investigations. They just do a quick check to see if anything is on your record.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
You never answered my question about what you were convicted of so, to make it easier, if you were convicted of a felony you are prohibited by law from becoming a police officer in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or