Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 AM

238 posts, read 326,777 times

Advertisements

For the those who keep posting that people are "lining up" to work as cops.... here is just one example of why you might want to rethink that assertion. You might need to get back to speed on what's going on out there:

Police Face Severe Shortage of Recruits - ABC News

And if you don't like ABC there is no shortage of different sources offering the same insight into a growing problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Hiring for police departments is very competetive because of the pay/benefits and little to no college education.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
Basically, bqack in 2007 i was caught trying to use a fake $100 bill in a Sears in my local mall. plead no contest, got 3 years informal probation(no daily PO), and paid small fine.

since then i have no other trouble, got my AA in criminal justice, and after probation, i filed a 1204.3, to have my charge changed to not guilty/dismissed. i know for law enforcement agencies they can see everything but had it done for private sector jobs.

my first choice is trying to be a Correctional Officer. i went thru the process a few years ago and the background lady said it wont auto DQ me but will look into further. i ended up up being DQ'ed for my credit issues, smh.

last year applied again but was late to the test, smh.

so i will apply again in a few weeks since i had to wait a year, as a last ditch effort. i have no financial issues this time around. *crossing fingers*

also tried applying for Oakland PD. passed the written, the PAT, and oral board then got placed on the eligibility list. that was about 18 months ago.

the only agency that i didnt get into cause of background, im assuming because they dont say why, was my local county sheriff but they say you can't have any issues with fraud and trying to use fake money is just that.

soo i know a lot of PD agencies say you cant have issues with moral aptitude or something along those lines, would it be jus my best interest to move on from the law enforcement field and do something else?

educated opinions are greatly appreciated..
Forget it.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 AM

61 posts, read 74,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
that does not tell us what actual crime (as in title and/or code) he was convicted of or whether it was a felony or misdemeanor. Between making deals and waiving penalties, there is no telling what he was actually convicted of and what the classification is unless he tells us.
p.c. 648

Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
For the those who keep posting that people are "lining up" to work as cops.... here is just one example of why you might want to rethink that assertion. You might need to get back to speed on what's going on out there:

And if you don't like ABC there is no shortage of different sources offering the same insight into a growing problem.
The article is deceptive. Try reading it again.

What departments are facing aren't the shortage of recruits. For example, here's a sentence that should jump out at you.

Quote:
A decade ago, there were 3,000 applicants for 10 openings with the Seattle police, the department says. Now there are 1,000 applicants for 70 positions — a drop of more than 90 percent.
1,000 applicants for 70 positions. That's still 1,000 people waiting in line for 70 slots.

And here.

Quote:
In Springfield, Miss., only 75 people applied for the police academy this month. But four years ago, they had 300, reports Elaine Deck, a researcher who has been studying the problem for the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
From my experience, these small police departments usually only recruit 1 or 2 potentials at a time.

As others have said, the OP's past is a huge liability for the police department he wants to work for. Defense lawyers are extremely good at discrediting police officers. Any cop will tell you he's been creamed by a defense lawyer in court before.

Myself, for example. One time on the stand I was asked "have you ever broken the law before?" When I was asked that, what immediately occurred to me was criminal law. I think most normal people would assume the lawyer was referring to criminal law. I confidently said "no, mam". She went on to say you've never driven 5 miles above the speed limit? This was when it ringed in my head that I'd been ambushed. The next question was do you lie often? So, in a span of 2 minutes, I went from a cop with no record to a liar.

And that was me not having any criminal record whatsoever.

The last thing any department wants is a cop whose words can't be trusted in court. Worse yet, a cop with a criminal record that defense lawyers can keep digging up and have field days with it.

But whatever. If you think it's easy peasy to become a cop these days, go for it.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
The article is deceptive. Try reading it again.

What departments are facing aren't the shortage of recruits. For example, here's a sentence that should jump out at you.

1,000 applicants for 70 positions. That's still 1,000 people waiting in line for 70 slots.

And here.

From my experience, these small police departments usually only recruit 1 or 2 potentials at a time.

As others have said, the OP's past is a huge liability for the police department he wants to work for. Defense lawyers are extremely good at discrediting police officers. Any cop will tell you he's been creamed by a defense lawyer in court before.

Myself, for example. One time on the stand I was asked "have you ever broken the law before?" When I was asked that, what immediately occurred to me was criminal law. I think most normal people would assume the lawyer was referring to criminal law. I confidently said "no, mam". She went on to say you've never driven 5 miles above the speed limit? This was when it ringed in my head that I'd been ambushed. The next question was do you lie often? So, in a span of 2 minutes, I went from a cop with no record to a liar.

And that was me not having any criminal record whatsoever.

The last thing any department wants is a cop whose words can't be trusted in court. Worse yet, a cop with a criminal record that defense lawyers can keep digging up and have field days with it.

But whatever. If you think it's easy peasy to become a cop these days, go for it.
People aren't saying that it's easy to get in. You're just being corrected on your gross exaggeration. You're basing your assumptions on what you've seen in your local area. You can't generalize the whole country or even your whole state on what you saw at the police departments you applied to.

As a reminder, this is what you said.

Quote:
Again, for every position that's open, there are 1k+ qualified candidates standing in line. This holds true for every police department out there.
This is not even close to being the truth.

In Seattle, there were 1,000 people applying for 70 positions. There were NOT 1,000 people standing in line for every open position. There were 14 people standing in line for every open position.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Holy crap dude, you messed up, and then messed up your second and third chances and come here wondering if you deserve another shot?! I hope you choose something else to do with your life brother, fighting crime or enforcing the law doesn't look like your forte.

All that stated, if you genuinely have changed and can keep your crap together (making important appointments would be nice), and this is your dream, then go for it and just keep trying until you succeed as otherwise you may spend the rest of your days living in regret.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post

The is a Pinocchio in the wood pile in that the article cites "record low unemployment" several time in the article. Makes me wonder about things.

At any rate, a Google check will both repeat and refute the "shortage" statement. San Diego, for instance says that number applicants is up, but qualified applicants almost nil. So jobs go wanting.

ABC lost credibility years ago.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
p.c. 648
The offense does not bode well, but it is not on California's list of automatic DQ's.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Here's the part of the article which really matters:

Quote:
Record-low unemployment has made it harder for most industries to fill vacancies, but police recruiters have extra hurdles to overcome. Candidates must pass demanding physical and psychological tests, and they must have a drug-free history and pass a rigorous background check. Many departments administer polygraph tests.

Despite the labor shortage, recruiters say their departments are unwilling to modify their criteria, though the vast majority of applicants are rejected or drop out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment