U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:07 AM

8,382 posts, read 5,021,700 times

Advertisements

So, last year I hired a company to do my lawn. Everything is fine. The guy who does it seems to be a good guy.

Yesterday, I approach him as he is cutting the lawn to find out what the situation is regarding closing out this season and going into the next. He tells me that he and his partner, the guy he was working for/with have split the company in two and he will continue to cut my lawn.

OK.

So, he gives me his name, address, phone, and other contact information.. But it is badly written and hard to figure out, so I go to the Internet to look him up and find his picture and information on a sex offender page.

This is the detail of the violated statute...

Offense Against Morality and Decency

ASSAULT WITH INTENT TO COMMIT CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT

Class A, C, or E Felony Code Section 16-3-656 CDR Codes 253-255
Elements Of The Offense

1. That the accused had the intent to commit Criminal Sexual Conduct.
2. That there was an overt act toward commission of the crime.
3. That the accused failed to accomplish actual "Sexual Battery."

Penalty:

Assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct described in the above sections shall be punishable as if the criminal sexual conduct was committed.

Reading this and his charge page, I see that (a) the arrest was 5 years ago, (b) the offense was listed as third degree.

I don't know much about crime, but I do speculate that if it is third degree, it could have been a date situation that went wrong, something with his wife, or many other such things.

I am not married and have no children around the house, so for me, I think I can just let it be and be sure not to invite the guy into the house unless and until I get to know him better. My concern and question is "do I owe anything to my neighbors to disclose what I have learned? I started using the services because a neighbor was already a customer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:54 PM

9,808 posts, read 15,900,383 times
Can you contact his former partner and ask what he knows about this guy's history? It may be that they were loosing business as others discovered his record but not on account of his current conduct.

Don't let any vendor into your house, period. It doesn't matter that the person has no record. There is no reason for a mow & blow, gardener or pool guy to enter your house even if he is a candidate for sainthood.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:21 PM

229 posts, read 255,265 times
Depends on whether he peed in an alley at 2 am after a night at the bar or if he molested a child. Obviously the first isn't really a big deal. Unless you are worried he will pee in your yard

Old 10-18-2014, 04:58 PM

603 posts, read 680,599 times
Find someone else. 3rd degree is not just one of those "peed in public after a night at a bar" type of offenses. I hate that people who do that are even given sex offender status.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Find someone else. 3rd degree is not just one of those "peed in public after a night at a bar" type of offenses. I hate that people who do that are even given sex offender status.
I agree, but for another important reason. Now that you know about his history, you could be sued if something happens when he's working at your home, for knowingly bringing him into the neighborhood. Just not worth playing with fire.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 PM

3,119 posts, read 4,063,019 times
You can be labeled a sex offenderfor life for BS reasons. People have their lives ruined in high school for being a senior and sleeping with a junior because of one being 18. Total BS.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 5 days ago)

17,343 posts, read 8,536,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You can be labeled a sex offenderfor life for BS reasons. People have their lives ruined in high school for being a senior and sleeping with a junior because of one being 18. Total BS.
Except the person in question was charged with assault with an intent to commit a sexual offense.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:40 PM

14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, but for another important reason. Now that you know about his history, you could be sued if something happens when he's working at your home, for knowingly bringing him into the neighborhood. Just not worth playing with fire.
I don't think he could be sued.

The OP isn't running a daycare or hiring the guy to mow the yard at a school where he would be required to run a background check.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:22 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,193,440 times
As a retired criminologist, and not one from the Carolinas, I'd still have to say that charge looks awfully thin. And we're asking the wrong questions here.

Assault is placing someone in fear that they will be battered - and the battery here was not committed. He could have done that verbally. Example - telling someone "I want to [touch you in an inappropriate way]" - the victim says no and later tells the police that story. He's busted, irrespective of the circumstances. Was it his girlfriend of six years with whom he was quarreling or was it a 12 year-old child for whom he was babysitting? Huge difference.

Third degree is lesser than both first and second degrees. Leads me to believe more the former than the latter.

What is the rest of his record? What did the courts do to him? (Easy to find out - most court records are now on the Internet.) Most importantly - how old was he when the offense occurred? Over 30 pretty much means a career criminal, and under thirty not so much. (Males generally wind down from offending around 18 to 23, but if they are still offending past thirty, they are probably going to be lifers, according to Sampson and Laub's theory, "Crime in the Life Course.")

You need more data before you can make a reasonable decision about whether you want to give this guy a shot at working for you or if the risks are simply too high for you.

Send me a PM if you want more information about what you can find out - and how to do it.

Best of luck, R-3

Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 PM

698 posts, read 593,621 times
Anyone who comes to your home to do work could always be a criminal, that's life. That's why you take precautions with strangers by paying them outside and not letting them into the house. You can keep him or not but if he's good, for me, I may keep him on.
No your neighbors do not need to know unless there is some extenuating circumstances where he is acting outside of his paid position such as conversing with the neighbor kids. Just be alert or look into it further, can't hurt

It appears a crime involving a teen took place, or almost did but you never know if it was reduced down to a lesser charge which happens a lot here in California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or