U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 PM

405 posts, read 386,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I mean if you are printer something out that is not work related it would be best to go and get it instead of having it laying around. That's why I said as long as it's not all the time then it should be fine
Yeah obviously if you're printing out something like a flyer for your daughter's play, it would be best to not leave it laying on the printer after you print it, but grabbing it quickly doesn't mean you're being sneaky about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 PM

5,846 posts, read 6,600,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
At my company, everybody has their own personal access codes to the printers and they charge us for the paper at least. We can avoid a charge by showing proof that the prints were for work. We'd do this by filling out a paper with the approximate time, pages printed, and what it was needed for. Anything that's not accounted for in the paperwork, they charge us I believe 7 cents a page, but I can't say for sure because I haven't had anything that was unaccounted for in awhile. They deduct the money from our checks so most of us make sure to only print things out for personal reasons at work if it's an emergency,
That seems absurdly cumbersome and, frankly, bizarre. The cost of keeping tracking like that can't be small.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Sure, why not? I wouldn't do a mass mailing but if your boss wouldn't let you do a page or two once in a while he needs to be re-educated.
Why would he need to be re-educated? The boss has to follow rules also and he'll have a budget to follow. Paper is a huge expense to companies because they use so much of it. You may think that he's dumb if he doesn't allow you to print 2 pages for your personal use, but if he lets you, he'd have to let everybody. If everybody starts printing out a page or two, then eventually somebody will test it and print out say 5 pages, and then 10. Then you'll have more people printing out 10 copies of the ad for their garage sale instead of just 1 person printing out 2 pages.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:32 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,523,621 times
Sure I do. I don't print big documents or anything, and we don't have a color printer. But I couldn't waste more ink and paper than the co-worker who knowingly used up about 1/3 of a ream to print two pages of something work-related (she couldn't stop it).

Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM

862 posts, read 583,534 times
It depends of companies. Ours is ok with that unless it's an encyclopedia...

Old 10-19-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That seems absurdly cumbersome and, frankly, bizarre. The cost of keeping tracking like that can't be small.
I'm sure it is, but they did have a problem of people printing out mass quantities of documents for personal reasons and this has fixed it mostly. We also get a nicer bonus check now because people aren't printing so much stuff for their own use and when they do, they're paying for it so has kept the expenses down at least which does give us a chance of maximizing our profits.

On top of the expense of the paper everybody was using, production is better too. Before, we'd have to wait for some large amount of copies to finish before ours would start and then we'd find out it wasn't even for work. Now, we still have some large documents printed, but they are almost always work related, but the wait time for a printer is generally shorter.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:48 PM

5,846 posts, read 6,600,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
I'm sure it is, but they did have a problem of people printing out mass quantities of documents for personal reasons and this has fixed it mostly. We also get a nicer bonus check now because people aren't printing so much stuff for their own use and when they do, they're paying for it so has kept the expenses down at least which does give us a chance of maximizing our profits.

On top of the expense of the paper everybody was using, production is better too. Before, we'd have to wait for some large amount of copies to finish before ours would start and then we'd find out it wasn't even for work. Now, we still have some large documents printed, but they are almost always work related, but the wait time for a printer is generally shorter.
If people were printing that much while at work, I would think that paper waste would be a minor problem compared to all the lost effort that went into that printing. People must have been running print shops on the side during business hours.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM

174 posts, read 249,262 times
I wouldn't do it if you worked at a large corporation where they have an IT department. They have the capacity to check every single page you've ever printed - and even replicate what you've printed. I heard of a story where they publicly made fun of an employee for printing personal things, and replicated everything she did and stuck it on her desk telling her not to do it again.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,229,106 times
It's not forbidden at our office but I only do it rarely so as not to take advantage.

A lot of printers allow you to do a locked print, where the printer holds it until you go retrieve it with a password. That would keep others from seeing your personal things you've printed (not that it should matter because if it's against the rules, don't do it - and even if it's not against the rules don't print anything objectionable)

Old 10-19-2014, 10:13 PM

338 posts, read 321,266 times
I have, especially if it's urgent enough and the printer at home is broken.

In fact, there have been times I've actually had to go to the office on my days off just to use the printer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or