Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM

38 posts, read 52,023 times

Advertisements

In case this entry gets long, I'll put a summarized version up here first: I do not know whether to apply for my "dream job" or stay put where I'm at. I recently graduated with my MBA.

In May, I graduated with my MBA and it took me some months to find a job due to my lack of experience in the field I was pursuing - real estate finance. I have been very interested in environmental conservation for years, but there aren't a whole lot of opportunities in this field, while commercial real estate can be very lucrative and the market is booming right now. So I finally landed a job in commercial, and for the first time in my life I'm putting in extremely long (7:30-6:30 or later) hours in a cubicle, doing a tremendous amount of work. I really am learning a ton, and my team is very smart, good to me, and well-connected. And I do find rel estate investment kind of interesting. But the work is so grueling and consuming that I find it hard to have a balanced life. I told myself that I'd stay for 6 months, at least long enough to have some decent resume fodder. But now, just a month after starting, fell upon a job opening for what is literally my dream job. Literally, land conservation and sustainable development, for a very rare company that does exactly what I want to be doing, and it's in my city. I am very qualified for this job and believe I'd enjoy life if I was working it, but the timing of all this is just poor. My boss and team took a risk in hiring me, as I wasn't very experienced, and they've put a tremendous amount of time and energy into training me. If I suddenly left, it would be such a disrespect to them, it would burn bridges and jeopardize my success if I decided to re-enter commercial real estate, and it would just be difficult to tell them that I'm leaving. And on the practical end, I don't even know how I could go interview elsewhere when I works o much as it is...I'm not good at lying about that kind of thing. And even by applying for the job, I feel like it might be discovered that I'm looking elsewhere. It's a small and interconnected system of professionals out here, as I'm sure it is everywhere else.

If I stay, I'll continue to learn very valuable skills and set myself up for a good career in real estate. I could even use that experience to enter a different field if I decide I don't want to continue with real estate. I'm single right now and am able to work a lot. But at least right now, I don't "feel good" about the work, I hate working such long hours and being constantly stressed. I don't even think I'm very good at what I'm doing, and I constantly worry that they'll fire me for not catching on quick enough, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. And now there's this new job announcement for a job that I think I have a good shot at landing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment