Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I have no clue where you got that idea. There are only a few managers, and many more non-professionals. All managers meet with the Division Chief weekly in staff meetings. She is even busier than I, but she has an open door policy if I were so inclined.
My apologies, mochamajesty. For some reason I thought the op was a manager talking about meeting with his or her manager. You replied you have a lot of people reporting to you and wouldn't have time for such meetings, and I was still thinking in terms of a manager reporting to his manager, which is why I asked why you wouldn't have time. Your response, if I understand it now, was with reference to you meeting with each member of your team. I don't think that's necessary. A manager should have day-to-day involvement with members of the team so weekly meetings aren't needed. If you have supervisors under you, meeting with them would be reasonable, but they wouldn't need to individually meet with those reporting to them.

With the way I've written that, it's probably as clear as mud now, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 06:19 PM

266 posts, read 285,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Wow I am surprised by all the negative comments to this. In every job I always had a weekly meeting with my boss that lasts 30-60 mintues. The only time I can see it not being necessary if it's like if you are the President and your report to the CEO, I can see that not being necessary weekly, but any for the lower levels, come on!
Yeah, I'm wondering what industries the 'no, never do this' people work in.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM

399 posts, read 568,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
With the way I've written that, it's probably as clear as mud now, right?
Funny enough, I understood it perfectly!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM

399 posts, read 568,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering what industries the 'no, never do this' people work in.
Law (government)

Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
I asked around in my family since I'm self-employed and meet with no one ever.

My mother works for an insurance company and is free to approach her boss at any time with issues, but no regular meetings occur.

One sister is a doctor and meets with no one ever, unless talking directly about her salary or HR stuff.

The other sister is a mechanical engineer and they have monthly meetings with the whole group and their boss together to discuss the project.

My brother-in-law is in the environmental abatement and refurbishment field and talks with his boss daily about the job they're working on. He talks to the guys under him daily as well, but there are no 1-on-1 meetings per se.

None of the jobs I've had in the past had meetings with manager or boss, but they were all low level work.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
For some reason I thought the OP was a manager wanting to meet with his/her manager.

Someone at the level of "Manager" is closely involved in the day-to-day activities of their team. There would be no need for a meeting with everyone reporting to a Manager.
Huh? Why wouldn't someone, even at middle management level, not want to meet with their boss regularly? Especially since middle managers need to be closely aligned with their boss' goals and may not work closely day to day with them.

Everyone at all levels in my company have weekly meeting with their boss. The only exception is the CEO. VPs and directors meet with the CEO. The CEO doesn't have a boss

Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
I wouldn't "schedule" something like this. When you need to discuss something stop by/email/call your boss and ask when he has some free time for you to get up with him/her.

I used to call my boss nearly every day (he's off site) with questions. Good, legitimate questions. Now I talk to him maybe once or twice a week. If I have a good reason to vent about something, sometimes I'll call and give him an earful lol. It's never about him or my job specifically, but issues with other departments. I usually tell him beforehand, "ok, I don't need you to do anything, but I need to vent for a few minutes" haha.. He is always cool about it because my position can be difficult sometimes. Sometimes the issues that arise he wants to take to his piers, the other upper management, but 99% of the time I just want his input with him and don't want to blow issues into something larger.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Huh? Why wouldn't someone, even at middle management level, not want to meet with their boss regularly? Especially since middle managers need to be closely aligned with their boss' goals and may not work closely day to day with them.

Everyone at all levels in my company have weekly meeting with their boss. The only exception is the CEO. VPs and directors meet with the CEO. The CEO doesn't have a boss

See, now you're misunderstanding my post in the same exact way I misunderstood mochamajesty's post.

Middle managers would want to meet with their boss, I'm not saying they wouldn't. What I'm saying is if you have thirty people reporting to that middle manager, there is no need for that manager to meet regularly with each of them.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Any manager that does not have 30 minutes per month to meet with an employee is not a good manager. Most importantly, these meetings can deal with small issues before they become big problems. Every good manager I have had has initiated this type of recurring meeting. The poor ones did not and, not surprisingly, we terrible at communicating with their employees and dealing with problems.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Any manager that does not have 30 minutes per month to meet with an employee is not a good manager. Most importantly, these meetings can deal with small issues before they become big problems. Every good manager I have had has initiated this type of recurring meeting. The poor ones did not and, not surprisingly, we terrible at communicating with their employees and dealing with problems.

If an employee wishes to meet with me I've never refused them, but when I was a front line manager with 90 reports, it would have been foolish to regularly schedule a monthly meeting with each of them, particularly since it would have meant more than a week of meetings each month. I already knew what they were doing, I was there with my sleeves rolled up directing traffic. I always had an open door policy, so it wasn't an issue.

NO company would support a manager spending that kind of time meeting with people who directly report to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment