Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times

Advertisements

For some reason I thought the OP was a manager wanting to meet with his/her manager.

Someone at the level of "Manager" is closely involved in the day-to-day activities of their team. There would be no need for a meeting with everyone reporting to a Manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM

399 posts, read 568,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
For some reason I thought the OP was a manager wanting to meet with his/her manager.

Someone at the level of "Manager" is closely involved in the day-to-day activities of their team. There would be no need for a meeting with everyone reporting to a Manager.
Yeah, I get the impression that he's (for lack of a better term) line staff that just wants to use the meetings (maybe) as professional development. Constant job coaching, per se. Maybe he can come back and clarify where on the totem pole he is and what exactly the purpose of the meetings is going to be and what he hopes to gain from them.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:20 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,817 times
I had a manager who did this with me for a few months. It was their idea though and did it for their other three direct reports. They were scheduled for 30 minutes every two weeks. They started out as helpful talking about my current status, any help I needed from her, and to cover any administrative items and usually lasted 20-30 mins. Eventually they boiled down to five minutes of work talk and five minutes of non-work stuff and that was it. Then they happened once a month. Finally they morphed into a conversation like this, "Do you have anything?" "Nope." "Ok, we'll cancel this. Let me know if you need anything". They just became a very low priority item on her calendar for all four of us and she cancelled them. It wasn't a big deal to me as if anything pressing came up, I wouldn't wait for my one-on-one time and would go to her directly then.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:03 PM

53 posts, read 81,586 times
Generally one on one's are a good thing. I have six area managers reporting to me. Each area manager has 4 - 6 supervisors and each supervisor has up to 25 people reporting to them. I have one on one meetings every other week with each of my area managers. It's a chance for us to spend between 15 and 30 minutes talking in depth about how things are going in their area, issues they need help with and suggestions I can offer them to improve results. It is a very good way to keep communication lines open and eliminate any surprises that could have been managed sooner.

I think if you are a front line team leader working hand in hand with a small group all day long, that communication should already be occuring throughout the day and it less helpful or necessary.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,099 times
I've had this in pretty much every job I've ever held for the past 10 years (mostly sales and fundraising positions). Usually weekly, sometimes every other week. Always very helpful just to update my boss on what I have going on, pending sales, etc. and getting information on new projects or tasks.

When I was a supervisor (something I avoid like the plague) I did it with my reports as well.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
We have team meetings with my manager but the lines are open and we generally talk daily, even though we aren't at the same site.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,452 times
My boss's door is always open and I can walk in and have a chat with her any time she is in the office. I generally talk to her at least twice a day and we have a meeting for an hour once a week with the entire team. Good way to make sure everyone is on the same page and knows all of what is happening around the facility.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:32 PM

696 posts, read 906,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
I would like to schedule 15 minute 1 on 1s with my boss to meet maybe twice a month.

But I wanted to get your thoughts to see if this is a good idea?

I feel like it is because it keeps lines of communication going and our ideology centric.
I have a weekly 30 minute one with my manager. They proceed well enough but even with those sessions there are a lot of crossed signals during the week.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:07 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You are the manager and you would not have time once or twice a month to meet with your boss for 20 - 30 minutes?

I have no clue where you got that idea. There are only a few managers, and many more non-professionals. All managers meet with the Division Chief weekly in staff meetings. She is even busier than I, but she has an open door policy if I were so inclined.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,044 times
Wow I am surprised by all the negative comments to this. In every job I always had a weekly meeting with my boss that lasts 30-60 mintues. The only time I can see it not being necessary if it's like if you are the President and your report to the CEO, I can see that not being necessary weekly, but any for the lower levels, come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment