Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:16 PM

31 posts, read 45,910 times

Advertisements

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have about 9 months experience in HR and am looking for a career in that same field. I have had 4 in-person interviews and one phone interview in the past 8 days. I got a rejection from one today (and I thought the interviewer and I really hit it off and that it went amazingly well), haven't heard 2 of them, and just had one today. I send my resume out at least a few times every day. It's very discouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:40 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,444 times
Thanks, everyone. After I posted this I received a call for an interview this week (2nd choice) and a phone interview tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
It took me 6 months to find a job out of college and 8 months to find a new job after being laid off in 2010. I went on about 10 interviews both times before receiving an offer.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM

368 posts, read 413,291 times
Been unemployed for 6.5 months, for the 1st time in my life actually. Ive worked for 24 years with no down time, up until 6 months ago ( with only 2 interviews since). Its such a grind out here in LA though. Truth be told, Im sure I could have gotten some kind of mickey mouse &%$# job but, I absolutely will not be low-balled by some of these scumbag companies. Ill cash out my 401k first, if need be ,before I ever even dreamed of going that route.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
It's been about 3 months since I've been laid off and I still haven't had any job offers.
I don't know if there's any "average" length of time for being unemployed, I can only go by my own experience. I was unemployed a little over 4 1/2 months before I swallowed my pride and took a contract job at a staffing agency. It paid enough to just get by, but offered no benefits. I ended up getting a job with benefits with the client after eight months, no thanks to the staffing company. They did everything they could to prevent / delay me from getting hired by the cleint, first they said the client could hire me after 3 months, then they tried to say it was 6 months. They have zero interest in anyone getting hired by a client when they are getting a great contract rate and paying there contractors peanuts.

It was a horrible expereince, but in the end I got a great paying and interesting job with benefits. I just hope there's a special place in hell for these staffing agencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
After I posted this I received a call for an interview this week (2nd choice) and a phone interview tomorrow.
2nd chioces aren't bad, that's how I landed my job, the 1st chioce wanted WAY too much money, I kept my salary request more reasonable.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I don't know if there's any "average" length of time for being unemployed, I can only go by my own experience. I was unemployed a little over 4 1/2 months before I swallowed my pride and took a contract job at a staffing agency. It paid enough to just get by, but offered no benefits. I ended up getting a job with benefits with the client after eight months, no thanks to the staffing company. They did everything they could to prevent / delay me from getting hired by the cleint, first they said the client could hire me after 3 months, then they tried to say it was 6 months. They have zero interest in anyone getting hired by a client when they are getting a great contract rate and paying there contractors peanuts.

It was a horrible expereince, but in the end I got a great paying and interesting job with benefits. I just hope there's a special place in hell for these staffing agencies.

2nd chioces aren't bad, that's how I landed my job, the 1st chioce wanted WAY too much money, I kept my salary request more reasonable.

Yeah staffing agencies should only be viewed as emergency income. I did everything I could to avoid them

Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
From what I've read, the average nowadays is nine months, but it varies tremendously. Among many other factors, the higher level you are the longer it takes. A senior manager might be looking for over a year.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
From what I've read, the average nowadays is nine months, but it varies tremendously. Among many other factors, the higher level you are the longer it takes. A senior manager might be looking for over a year.
Yeah it normally takes 2 to 3 months to get the 1st interview

Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM

341 posts, read 1,232,444 times
My bf was searching some stuff and found there were plenty of HR graduates but a lot fewer openings in my state =\

Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 PM

191 posts, read 485,842 times
I read an article that says you should expect to be out of work 1 month for each $10,000 you want to make (so 4 months for a $40k salary) but I am not really sure where they got that figure from.

I am a recent graduate and I was laid off too but I am working on a temporary assignment right now. It's a tough market out there because it's an employers market. I have been applying for jobs for 6 MONTHS and have only received maybe 2 calls for interviews and I apply to at least 25 jobs per week and these are not just any jobs. You should be applying to way more jobs than 2-3 per week.I have received calls from temporary agencies, if you find yourself running out of money then temp to keep your experience up. How's your network?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search