Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:05 PM

366 posts, read 452,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm in PA... maybe $40-$50K around here, but I've heard of some in the $20s and 30's K. Where I live, it's mostly retail, so a lot of people who don't move from this area and aren't in finance or science, make minimum wage or a bit above. I know if I get something out in the Midwest, it'd be less than $40K.
I'm Majoring in Finance but I'd rather lynch myself than work behind a desk ruining people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 04:22 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Anyone who feels entitled to anything isn't someone I'd want to work with, let alone hire.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:53 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
I'm Majoring in Finance but I'd rather lynch myself than work behind a desk ruining people's lives.
Yeah, I have an English Writing degree. Meh.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
I believe that once I graduate from college, I'm entitled to job interviews for the positions in which I qualify for. Something tells me that employers discriminate against my generation because they believe that we are all the stereotypical millennial.

I know, I know... No one owes me anything... yada, yada, yada... Pull myself up by my bootstraps... yada, yada, yada...

Is it too much to ask for an interview to prove that I'm probably more qualified (and more pleasant) to work with than someone who has been in the field for 30 years? I have fresh ideas that you may never heard of.

Sounds selfish, but it's my opinion...

ETA: I'm majoring in speech-language pathology, and we SLPs are in demand so I (probably) won't have an issue finding jobs.

Last edited by Pinkmani; 10-21-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 05:05 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,095 times
Nobody is entitled to anything.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:12 PM

366 posts, read 452,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yeah, I have an English Writing degree. Meh.
Oh god... I'm so sorry... Why didn't you major in business? It's so easy.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Is it too much to ask for an interview to prove that I'm probably more qualified (and more pleasant) to work with than someone who has been in the field for 30 years? I have fresh ideas that you may never heard of.
And I'll bet you'll be one of the first to complain in 30 years about how unfair it is that you just got canned in favor of a fresh out of college know it all.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM

98 posts, read 269,008 times
As a college graduate, you have greater access to interviews, and NOT entitled to any. If a job posting stipulates a college degree, and you have one, you are allowed the freedom to apply to the position, so long as you meet the qualifications of someone who does not have the degree. The ones without the degree (and qualifications) won't be allowed the access to the interview based on what they present.

And I echo the sentiments of people who feel they are entitled to something--those individuals are THE MOST immature and self centered individuals I have ever had the misfortune of knowing or working with. Sooner or later, karma gets 'em.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
You'd put a spin on it
What I hear u saying "why do I need college to get a good paying job
I deserve a good paying job you just need to know somebody that's all
I am somebody"
U dont need college to get a good paying job u dont need to know somebody
u need skills
Trade school or vocational school are the ticket
with a willingness to work outside the country u can do it
Should unskilled fast food labor receive the same pay as an MBA?
No way

Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
I don't think they are entitled to high paying jobs, but I do think they should have recourse against a college that lies to them about the value of the degree they are selling. Used car dealers can't lie the way a college can, because we actually have lemon laws.

Having colleges hand out degrees that are meaningless is a complete waste of time for everyone involved, but it continues because the people at the top of the chain get paid. It is a terrible system.

I know someone with a Master's degree that is getting about minimum wage. The employment game is a horribly inefficient market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment