U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 AM

7,420 posts, read 7,411,923 times

Advertisements

There is no right to a job, or a house, or food, or medical care, or anything else. There is a right to be free. The rest is up to you and me.

If you fabricate rights out services that humans provide for each other, it has a term: slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 AM

3,225 posts, read 2,709,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
Oh god... I'm so sorry... Why didn't you major in business? It's so easy.
Not a business mind. I did have some business classes that I was required to take as a writing major (business writing classes), but I didn't want to major in business. I spent 5.5 years in college, I wasn't doing even more classes. I had fifty credits over the required to graduate (I took a bunch of foreign languages: German for two years, Arabic for two years and some French). Started out as history and switched to writing. I'm finding jobs with it, but I think I just get so nervous interviewing even though I practice because a lot of the interviews I have are non-traditional (meaning it turns into a conversation... they don't ask traditional questions and I freeze). I eventually would like to move to a different state (believe it or not, there are places where writers are wanted... they might not be wanted here as much... but places I would rather be want them... I really dislike this area), so I think some of it is trying not to blurt that out. Once I get the money after I do finally move, I'd like to go back to get a certificate for languages I know and I might take a few business classes because I would like to eventually start my own business.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,334,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
And I'll bet you'll be one of the first to complain in 30 years about how unfair it is that you just got canned in favor of a fresh out of college know it all.
Well, 30 years from now SLPs will still be in demand, so I probably won't have any issues finding jobs. As we speak, 1 in 64 kids is diagnosed with Autism. By then, it'll be so much more (because the CDC and FDA continues to lie and cover up their tracks).

30 years from now, I plan on being a professor; therefore, I probably won't get canned because in order to be a professor you need years of experience (which a new grad won't have).

Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 AM

12,407 posts, read 9,264,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I've met a few (not all of course) college graduates that literally think they should get a career with six-figure salary right out of college. Unfortunately those jobs are hard to find and these days it seems WHO you know is more important than WHAT you know.

Do you think those who graduate college should immediately get high-paying careers upon graduating or do you think they should pay their dues and climb up the ladder?
Short answer: No. They aren't entitled to it.

Long answer:

You have to be realistic about what the economy can actually support, regardless of what you think you or others "deserve".

I highly doubt the economy could support such high salaries for everyone right out of college, unless done so at the expense of others (e.g. by forcing a lot of people to retire very early). And this needs to be avoided.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM

12,407 posts, read 9,264,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no right to a job, or a house, or food, or medical care, or anything else. There is a right to be free. The rest is up to you and me.

If you fabricate rights out services that humans provide for each other, it has a term: slavery.
This is an extreme view which may sound justified to those with strong ideology, but in practice, you are completely disregarding the lesser of the evils principle. In the long run, when the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, everyone loses.

The question is, what view of "rights" are you taking? If your notion of "rights" is taken from a rigid and dogmatically conservative deontological/command model of ethics without any regard whatsoever for the social consequences, then yes. But I'd argue that none of us really want to live that way, nor should we. If you understand the notions of rights as being at least in part a means to an end rather than an end in themselves, you should be able to infer that property rights and the like are secondary to the right to exist away from grave and immediate bodily threats.

Once you accept that, it follows naturally that there must be some amount of forfeiture of property rights (e.g. taxes) in order to protect life and limb. It is not a simple matter of inviolable property rights, because once you recognize that your property rights are both meaningless and useless in the absence of immediate bodily survival, you will be compelled to give up the absolutism.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 PM

828 posts, read 966,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Well, 30 years from now SLPs will still be in demand, so I probably won't have any issues finding jobs. As we speak, 1 in 64 kids is diagnosed with Autism. By then, it'll be so much more (because the CDC and FDA continues to lie and cover up their tracks).

30 years from now, I plan on being a professor; therefore, I probably won't get canned because in order to be a professor you need years of experience (which a new grad won't have).
But they'll have fresh ideas that you won't have! Aren't they entitled to get a shot just like you???

That's the problem with the entitlement mindset - the ME! ME! ME! part of it. They are always entitled to whatever, but no one else is also entitled to the same thing.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM

15,374 posts, read 25,693,042 times
An education gives you the ability not the right to do something.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM

25,499 posts, read 14,605,203 times
I am not sure what everyone else has said in the six pages but here's my thoughts.
A college graduate is entitled to higher pay than what is offered. Currently many employees pay peanuts because they perceive the talent pool for their job is so big they can get someone to work for that pay-rate. I am not saying a college graduate is entitled to 50K off the bat (unless you are talking Engineering where people can easily make 80K out of college) but 30K rather than the at tops 15K they currently make upon graduation from minimum wage and just over minimum wage jobs. Why I say this is so they can pay down any loans taken out, and traditional living expenses and hopefully save.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:24 PM

25,499 posts, read 14,605,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
Oh god... I'm so sorry... Why didn't you major in business? It's so easy.
Business is easy? OK mister, your mission is to find a niche market (not bar or restaurant) that has limited competitors and write up a 20+ business plan for it with market analysis, marketing plans, distribution system and pro-forma financials for the next five years written in correct business writing and have a 30 minute presentation ready to go as well as be able to answer tough questions from venture capitalists.

Not saying that there are easier topics in business but it isn't as easy as many make it out to be. I had to do this for a course on top of the course topics, some of which coincided with each other. On top of three other courses I took that semester and one was just as time consuming at times.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:27 PM

959 posts, read 1,024,154 times
My younger brother is like a prodigy, very smart/social, almost the perfect package. He, along with all circle of friends (who are similar to him), are all making 70-90k upon graduation with a Bachelors with their first job and are on track for 150k+ before age 25. My brother will be doing management consulting for one of the top big 3 firms in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or