Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times

Advertisements

Well, it worked out! Got hired for the salary he was asking, benefits start on the first day. Yay! (Not the position he applied for - instead of working as the store manager, he'll be a manager. He's really excited!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:47 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Well, it worked out! Got hired for the salary he was asking, benefits start on the first day. Yay! (Not the position he applied for - instead of working as the store manager, he'll be a manager. He's really excited!)
Congratulations!!!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I think he should stop asking about benefits and just start the job so he can prove he belongs there. That's what I did and after a year I got a raise and now we have nice health benefits which prevents me from paying for my medicine.
From the way it sounds the poster's SO was doing things right but perhaps because they dared to ask about what was "promised" to them during the interview and/or offer stage of the hiring process. Not their fault for trying to keep an employer true to their word and them reacting off the handle.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:56 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why are they so worried about job hopping? It's not like they actually train employees these days. They just expect all candidates to come pre-packaged in 3-8 years company-specific experienced perfection, right?

And it's not like they wouldn't rather replace them with an 'entry level' (to the company) worker than have to begrudgingly give them a raise anyway. And it's definitely not like they're willing to be loyal to their employees. Right?

So aside from the terrible inconvenience () of having to spend a few days per year interviewing new people and having to type their name into the employee database, what's the big hairy deal?

I took this for granted until I moved to Philly. In Atlanta, Seattle, and the Bay Area, you could replace a talented person within a week. But in my own job, my manager is having a hard time staffing for another person on my job. Truth be told, the talent just isn't around.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:45 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I took this for granted until I moved to Philly. In Atlanta, Seattle, and the Bay Area, you could replace a talented person within a week. But in my own job, my manager is having a hard time staffing for another person on my job. Truth be told, the talent just isn't around.
Shouldn't Philly being in the northeast have a much higher talent pool than Atlanta?

Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I love it when employers complain about the lack of talent in their area or particular specialization.

Ask a recruiter what the typical payrate for the job before complaining.

I was on a phone interview and the recruiter told me they need this and that so I thought this would be a very high paying job. I told him what was his client's pay range and I laughed at him and told him good luck finding someone.

Too many unrealistic payrate for IT jobs today, someone who carries 5-8 years of experience needs to be properly compensated. You don't throw out a lowball number hoping for a dumb or desperate IT person to take the job.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Shouldn't Philly being in the northeast have a much higher talent pool than Atlanta?
No. Atlanta just flat out has more business, and attracts more highly qualified people than Philly. Philly is a strong business city, but not to the extent of Atlanta or Northern California.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
No. Atlanta just flat out has more business, and attracts more highly qualified people than Philly. Philly is a strong business city, but not to the extent of Atlanta or Northern California.
Well I wouldn't totally say that given the layoffs at CNN, decline of Cocacola sales and the largest public school scandal in US history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/us...ndal.html?_r=0

Freakonomics » Massive Teacher Cheating Scandal Erupts in Atlanta

Say what you will but frankly there are a number of businesses that probably will not hire any young people if they grew up in Atlanta and attended a public school. This is *THAT* bad.

Philly isn't bad..it isn't perfect either. I think the cheese steak is overrated and it is odd their unions practically go on strike every other year. If it isn't the teachers it's the bus drivers etc

Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Philly isn't bad..it isn't perfect either. I think the cheese steak is overrated and it is odd their unions practically go on strike every other year. If it isn't the teachers it's the bus drivers etc
That's hardly odd or unique to Philly.

All older big cities face that problem, because the culture in America was different when these cities had their population booms and became established as we know them today. Atlanta didn't experience it's boom until at least the 1980s. Before then, Atlanta and its environs was all considered post-apocalyptic backwater country in the wake of the Civil War.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well I wouldn't totally say that given the layoffs at CNN, decline of Cocacola sales and the largest public school scandal in US history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/us...ndal.html?_r=0

Freakonomics » Massive Teacher Cheating Scandal Erupts in Atlanta

Say what you will but frankly there are a number of businesses that probably will not hire any young people if they grew up in Atlanta and attended a public school. This is *THAT* bad.

Not everyone in the business world of Atlanta is employed at Coca-Cola. It's a large employer, but Atlanta has a lot more business than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment