U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:27 PM

104 posts, read 178,125 times

Advertisements

The chart ignores the talented person getting promoted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 12:30 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,272,211 times
They hire anybody who can talk the talk.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:34 PM

936 posts, read 1,332,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Fish View Post
The chart ignores the talented person getting promoted
It is because more often than not, the talented person does not get promoted. The bosses old friend gets promoted instead. Or he/she gets promoted with 5-10 years delay, but by that time he/she is long gone. COL is very expensive, we (young people) cannot offer 5-10 years of discount on our salary, we need money now. 40 years ago whatever you got was enough to afford a home and start a family, but now you have to push your possible income to the limits to achieve just that. I am not talking about buying expensive cars or big house vs small house, but to afford the bare minimum standard. Who wants to live with their parents at 40???

Old 11-08-2014, 12:28 AM

9,999 posts, read 4,218,599 times
Why are they so worried about job hopping? It's not like they actually train employees these days. They just expect all candidates to come pre-packaged in 3-8 years company-specific experienced perfection, right?

And it's not like they wouldn't rather replace them with an 'entry level' (to the company) worker than have to begrudgingly give them a raise anyway. And it's definitely not like they're willing to be loyal to their employees. Right?

So aside from the terrible inconvenience () of having to spend a few days per year interviewing new people and having to type their name into the employee database, what's the big hairy deal?

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 11-08-2014 at 12:47 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 12:38 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,500,325 times
I am a job hopper. I have hopefully found a job that I like and plan to stay at my current company until I retire (I hit retirement age in 20+ years so that's very hopeful).

In my work history I did the following:
Company #1 - 3 years
Company #2 - 1 year
Company #3 - 2 years
Company #4 - 2 years
Company #5 - 5 years
Company #6 - 1 year
Company #7 - 1 year
Company #8 - 1.5 years
Company #9 - 1 year (and counting...)

I have almost always left companies because a better opportunity came up. I find myself getting bored after around 2 years and I worked at a lot of startups so it was clear after 2 years whether the company would result in a nice IPO or sale or whether it would be a bust. I typically went to a better opportunity with each company and I can easily say that Company #8 and #9 (current) are the best.

I always challenge myself and although i could have stayed at some of these companies longer, I know that I had hit a plateau in terms of building my skills and earning my pay. I am in high demand and never had a problem finding another job.

So IMO, people who stay at their jobs for 10+ years are those who have plateaued many years ago and have stopped challenging themselves. It's hard and uncomfortable to keep changing jobs but I have done it until now.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:29 AM

272 posts, read 177,684 times
While I know plenty of job hoppers, I would say that not all of them are "bad" job hoppers. An example of a bad job hopper would be a friend of mine who is great at selling himself in the interview, but has a ****-poor attitude, always has excuses if he's late, and then leaves jobs in less than 6 months.

As for myself, I don't consider myself a bad job hopper. I worked to pay my way through school and only quit due to schedule problems with classes (the class I needed was only mornings etc). I did have one job that worked with me on that type of schedule, but once they could no longer work with me, I had to go. But, again, my job hopping has at least a stint of one year versus the 6 months or less that my friend has and all jobs I could be explained. The hard part is getting through the interview.

On the other hand, I think it should be considered why someone left a company. In 2 cases, I left a company due to the company changing the terms of our agreement from the interview without any compensation. Ex. 1: Not a professional job, but a retail job where I was hired for a specific schedule (mid-day)and a specific position (cashier). A guy quit on the spot and the company asked me to take his position (night shift) and to add duties to my roll (stocking, receiving, etc). I did it for about 2 months and it ruined my social life to the point where I quit on the spot. The second role was a professional role, but I left due to changing the terms of our agreement in the interview. Now I was expecting to do twice the amount of work once I passed my 90 days with things I was told about during the interview with no extra compensation. I am sure if I had a family or debt to think about, I couldn't make the move, but I have neither of those so I was free to make that decision.

Some would probably criticize my decisions, but I stand by that decision. A company is only as good as its word and once they break their word to me, especially in the first year, I'm out! I don't care what the reason is.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:39 PM

35 posts, read 26,580 times
The way the article comes across I would guess the guy is hiring for a decent job. The kind a guy would want to keep, so a qualified guy would have had decent jobs preceding. That fact considered, I will grant the author his point.

But he's incorrect to label all job hoppers lazy. In the world of crap jobs, changing jobs every year can be a person's only hope of ever being able to crack ten dollars an hour. It could also be the only way to expand your skill set. When an opportunity to provide better for yourself at these rates of pay presents, you take it, then you keep looking for better because it's just that rare.

Not to mention lots of low wage jobs these days are practically designed to be revolving doors, because if a person stays there too long they may actually wind up making something close to liveable after a ten cent raise every year for three decades. This is completely unacceptable, so many employers intentionally make their working conditions difficult to encourage a high turnover rate.

If we're talking about the kind of jobs the article's author is hiring for, then job hoppers are probably lazy and entitled. But if we're talking about jobs most people can actually get, job hopping is an adaptation to today's work environment-- one of the few remaining ways for somebody to better themselves, and employers can't begrudge somebody for wanting to better themselves in my opinion.

Last edited by oneLostPuppy; 11-08-2014 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: punctuation/spelling

Old 11-08-2014, 11:56 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,387,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLostPuppy View Post
The way the article comes across I would guess the guy is hiring for a decent job. The kind a guy would want to keep, so a qualified guy would have had decent jobs preceding. That fact considered, I will grant the author his point.

But he's incorrect to label all job hoppers lazy. In the world of crap jobs, changing jobs every year can be a person's only hope of ever being able to crack ten dollars an hour. It could also be the only way to expand your skill set. When an opportunity to provide better for yourself at these rates of pay presents, you take it, then you keep looking for better because it's just that rare.

Not to mention lots of low wage jobs these days are practically designed to be revolving doors, because if a person stays there too long they may actually wind up making something close to liveable after a ten cent raise every year for three decades. This is completely unacceptable, so many employers intentionally make their working conditions difficult to encourage a high turnover rate.

If we're talking about the kind of jobs the article's author is hiring for, then job hoppers are probably lazy and entitled. But if we're talking about jobs most people can actually get, job hopping is an adaptation to today's work environment-- one of the few remaining ways for somebody to better themselves, and employers can't begrudge somebody for wanting to better themselves in my opinion.

Yeah what appears to be job hopping is usually layoffs which is out of someone's control. I had 2 jobs back to back that lasted 2 years and then the next one was 90 days which was a result of a layoff and company closure

Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 AM

35 posts, read 26,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Yeah what appears to be job hopping is usually layoffs which is out of someone's control. I had 2 jobs back to back that lasted 2 years and then the next one was 90 days which was a result of a layoff and company closure

Also MANY jobs are designed that way from the start. They're called "temp jobs," and most people have taken one in their lives at some point or another.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:01 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,387,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLostPuppy View Post
Also MANY jobs are designed that way from the start. They're called "temp jobs," and most people have taken one in their lives at some point or another.
That's why I believe no one really cares about employment gaps just experience and education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment