Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sure. Anybody who claims that he isn't comfortable in a suit has never owned a decent suit.
So when you have the day off and you are at home during your taxes, you put on a suit because there are so comfortable?

I didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:46 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
So when you have the day off and you are at home during your taxes, you put on a suit because there are so comfortable?

I didn't think so.

One wouldn't do this not because they are uncomfortable, but because there is no reason to put wear and tear on a nice suit needlessly.

I'm far more comfortable in "dress" pants than I am in jeans, so, my wardrobe reflects it. I own one pair of jeans and use them only for stuff like yard work or fishing.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
[quote=stormynh;36989511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
See post #108.... someone else already explained it.

ETA: oh.... and posts 113, 114, 115....[/quot

I think you are talking to the wrong person because you aren't making any sense. I think he gets it totally. Go back and see who you quoted to be sure you are angry with the correct person.
Nope. Got it right.
And I am not in the least bit angry.... not even at you for butting in!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Would you accept a job that requires business formal attire?
Absolutely! I would welcome the opportunity to work somewhere where people care enough to dress and act like professionals.

I work for a company with plenty of flaws, but honestly one of the worst things about it is the whole thing from a psychological standpoint is the dress code. We have a "corporate wardrobe"--basically a catalog of slacks, blouses, shirts, blazers, skirts, dresses, etc. that we are required to wear on a daily basis. The lowest common denominator won out, and if you weren't wearing the polyester tee shirt and matching pants you might as well have had three heads. It is incredibly demoralizing and demotivating to sit there closing hundred thousand dollar plus deals wearing some stretchy tee shirt. It is pretty much the management saying, loud and clear, "we view our skilled office workers as equivalent to fast food fry cooks."

A company that requires formal dress is pretty much the polar opposite of that sentiment. Their actions are saying "we value you as professionals, and we want you yourselves and the rest of the world to view you that way, too." Sign me up!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
Whatever you do OP - don't join the military.

Seriously, if having to wear a suit/blazer would neuter your ability to function....get used to checking the fry oil temperature for your career path!

Old 10-23-2014, 03:00 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Living in the deep south, I'd hate to have to wear suites, especially in the Summer. Wool suits are not for me.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Whatever you do OP - don't join the military.

Seriously, if having to wear a suit/blazer would neuter your ability to function....get used to checking the fry oil temperature for your career path!
I don't know why you say that, because as an IT professional for many years I have never worn a coat and tie to work, and I've always been paid very well. So perhaps you need to re-examine your thinking there and stop being fooled that dress equals success.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
One wouldn't do this not because they are uncomfortable, but because there is no reason to put wear and tear on a nice suit needlessly.

I'm far more comfortable in "dress" pants than I am in jeans, so, my wardrobe reflects it. I own one pair of jeans and use them only for stuff like yard work or fishing.
If you are more comfortable in dress pants than in jeans, it's because you don't have the right fit.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,905,580 times
wouldn't bother me. I actually enjoy dressing up. I don't wear ties (unless it is a big meeting where most people will be) since our office is business casual but I wear nice dress pants, a nice long-sleeve dress shirt every day. A sweater or blazer is added depending on weather and whether I have a presentation etc.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
If you hate wearing ties just unbutton the top button of your shirt and loosten up the tie a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment