Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,630,684 times

Advertisements

eesh. I would hate having to wear a coat and tie everyday to work but...look at it this way.
If I had to wear a coat and tie to work, I wouldn't expect to be digging a ditch! I am sure there are many folks that wear a t shirt and blue jeans to work and would love to have a coat and tie desk job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,263,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, the job has nothing to do with dealing with clients or customers or anything like that. I would just be in a building working in a back office cubicle all day, every day, only interacting with a few coworkers. So it boggles my mind why they require employees to wear suits. You've gotta be *KIDDING* me.

Also, another poster pointed out that the fact that they require formal attire says something about the company. I, for one, do NOT like old school ANYTHING. It's 2014, I'm a liberal person and like progress.
Then this just sounds like employee hazing to me. It's a control thing to make employees spend out of pocket money at their request for something that's not needed. It costs them nothing to require this too. It isn't like they are giving you a clothing allowance. If they had to do that, they would all the sudden drop the formal clothing requirement.

I find it hard to believe that everything else about the company would be wonderful for the employee except this aspect of it. I'd pass on it. I know it isn't easy to turn down a job these days, but once you get there and you find out even more BS that makes you unhappy you are going to regret you took the job.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,919,151 times
I'd only have no problem with it if the salary justified the dress code.... at our company Directors and above are required to wear formal attire on a daily basis... but when they're making $80k+ per year and involved with the executive team daily then I think it's justified.

Although... I think they need to re-think our dress code entirely anyway... still very old school. Plus I hate the fact that they require us men to wear button down dress shirts every day but yet women get away with "murder" when it comes to their attire.... but that's an argument for another time and another thread!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,533,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Plus I hate the fact that they require us men to wear button down dress shirts every day ...
Do you actually have to wear the dress shirts with the buttons? I'm told the dress shirts without the buttons are the thing now.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Do you actually have to wear the dress shirts with the buttons? I'm told the dress shirts without the buttons are the thing now.
Yeah, most wear dress shirts with velcro, no buttons at all. :-)

Just joking folks.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,147 posts, read 80,240,475 times
I rarely set foot in a bank, doing everything online, but had the need to go in and close some accounts for a deceased relative yesterday. The "bankers" that took care of us who make about $30,000 were wearing suits.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:26 AM

32,502 posts, read 47,489,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
.........Plus, I have never had a woman comment "that's a great golf shirt" but with my better suits, tie, shirt combos I could count on a few compliments a month. Which was nice.
Oh yes indeed. A man in a well fitted suit is a pleasure to look at. Not only does he look manly and prosperous, he looks like he really has his life together.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I rarely set foot in a bank, doing everything online, but had the need to go in and close some accounts for a deceased relative yesterday. The "bankers" that took care of us who make about $30,000 were wearing suits.
That's because they are greeting the public.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oh yes indeed. A man in a well fitted suit is a pleasure to look at. Not only does he look manly and prosperous, he looks like he really has his life together.
That's someone's personal preference and opinion, not a requirement to do the work in a cube where no one sees you. I personally like to see women in a low-cut outfit, short-shirts, push-up bras and high heels or boots, because I find it a pleasure to look at. None of them should have a weight over 120 lbs either. No only does it make them look more womanly and fertile, she looks like she really takes good care of herself and has her life together. So what if they are working in a cube and no one else seems them except me, but because I'm the boss, I'm going to force others to do as I wish for my pure entertainment and at their expense. And I will hide behind, "company policy" to support my fetish.

You want people to do great work, you need to treat them as human beings, not as pets or dolls that you dress up to slave away in the background at a cube all day.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM

88,059 posts, read 83,912,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
The OP's bewilderment wih suits and business attire amuses me. "Business casual" was really not a thing until 20 years ago or so. There are plenty of people who wear suits to work every day (if you don't understand what a suit is, Google it). If you think no one wears suits, you're wrong. Try walking around downtown Washington, DC any Monday - Friday. And yes, those guys often take their jackets off when they're in the office.

I cannot imagine this being a reason to turn down a job. Nor do you have to "throw away" perfectly good new business casual attire you just purchased. You may need it in the future.
Really. I work in the public sector (NY) and most women in management wear suits or skirts/pants with a jacket and most men wear suits or a jacket and pants. We'll usually wear better suits when there is a meeting with our own mucky-mucks or outside firms. It would be weird to see people going to meetings in polo shirts and khakis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment