Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is called moving up in the world and getting ahead. If I were looking for a job/new career, I'd be striving to get a job where formal wear is the norm. Not because I would like the look, cost or feeling, but because it would probably mean a high paying white collar job with upward mobility.

Now put on a tie and dress shoes, grab your car keys, and go accept the position!
Then you are mistakenly chasing the wrong thing. Any jobs in IT I have been approached about that did require formal business would have actually been a pay-cut for me. Progressive companies that have a lot of room for growth aren't about useless traditions like this for employees that don't greet the public or customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
If employers really wanted to improve morale, they would drop the formal dress code for positions where it clearly isn't needed. I think of the money I save each year by not having to buy and shop for business clothing. I figured it out once and it costs the same yearly as it is to afford a law moving service. Just think of it, I don't spend time and money shopping for suits, shirts, ties, socks and shoes and I also get to spend that time doing what I want, plus I don't have to take care of the lawn so even more time.

Are the people wearing suits for no good reason maxing out their 401(k) at work? I bet not, because they can't afford to because they have to allocate money for clothing.
I definitely agree with the bolded. There is so much unnecessary formality around here that does nothing but suck up time and resources. Lately they are trying to do all this dumb stuff to improve morale (these recognition programs that are completely worthless) yet continue to do things to drive morale down (no longer supplying cream or cups for coffee). Yet, there's this free thing that they could do that would improve the moods of so many and costs the company nothing.

I've never found that being dressed up makes me more productive. In fact, the more cumbersome my clothes are the less I get done. That's true at work and at home.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times
As a female, I'll say no. Business formal for women is dresses and skirts with pantyhose (in my experience). I used to work for a company that had that policy and when I left I said, "Never again."

I am NOT a dress/skirt and pantyhose kind of gal.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:42 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Yeah you guys are right. I have the phone interview in a few hours, and I'm going to bring up the subject of dress code. If it is indeed true that I would be required to dress up in this stuff every day, I am going to politely tell the interviewer that I am not comfortable dressing up that way every day, especially just to sit in a cubicle with no customer interaction.

It's 2014. There's NO reason for back office jobs to require formal attire. Seriously. It's bad enough that I am slightly uncomfortable wearing business CASUAL!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Another thing that sucks is that, just last month, I spent $600 on updating my business casual wardrobe (all new shirts, pants). Now, if I took this job, I would have to basically buy all new business formal clothes AGAIN and throw away all the business casual clothes I just bought. Ugh!
Dont throw them away- sell them on Ebay, Platos Closet, Craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Also, I don't like wearing a tie, because it gets in the way and it's annoying, especially when eating. Ugh.
A Bow tie would work or a tie clip.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I think of the money I save each year by not having to buy and shop for business clothing. I figured it out once and it costs the same yearly as it is to afford a law moving service. Just think of it, I don't spend time and money shopping for suits, shirts, ties, socks and shoes and I also get to spend that time doing what I want, plus I don't have to take care of the lawn so even more time.
Shirts cost the same, socks are the same, shoes are the same for business casual. I can wear almost all of my old "business casual" shirts with suits (mainly because I don't like short sleeve dress shirts or polos.)

I also think that lots of times, the khakis/polo look is exceptionally shlubby looking on a lot of guys.

If you get clothes that fit, it really isn't an issue, and the cost isn't as big a deal as most make it out to be. OP mentioned dropping $600 on bus cas wardrobe items. Since he's normal sized, he could likely buy 4 suits for the same amount of money. I wear suits regularly for work (not everyday, but usually two-four times/week) and I am awkwardly sized and still make do.

While some might resent it going to work in a cubicle, understand that there is often a reason for the dress codes. Some might scoff at the idea of image, but it does make a difference. Some believe that it lends a sense of dignity and class to the organization; that it can create a shared sense of identity and unity. It all depends on the company, though.

One added benefit is that if I do hit up a happy hour after work, especially in a downtown area of a city, there is noticeably more attention from the opposite sex than if I came in wearing Chinos and a polo.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:58 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
While some might resent it going to work in a cubicle, understand that there is often a reason for the dress codes. Some might scoff at the idea of image, but it does make a difference. Some believe that it lends a sense of dignity and class to the organization; that it can create a shared sense of identity and unity. It all depends on the company, though.

It does. The professionalism, the environment, the morale are all improved by having decent dress codes. I've worked at some places with relaxed dress codes (Esp in the bay area) and it showed in the work.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It does. The professionalism, the environment, the morale are all improved by having decent dress codes. I've worked at some places with relaxed dress codes (Esp in the bay area) and it showed in the work.
That's what the people said on the glassdoor.com reviews about this company. They said the people are more professional, smart and have a better work ethic. However, I'm the type of person who likes to surf the web for maybe 2 hours a day, because it helps me recharge constantly throughout the day, and therefore perform better on the job. I like a relaxed environment. Hate places that make you feel burn out.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Shirts cost the same, socks are the same, shoes are the same for business casual. I can wear almost all of my old "business casual" shirts with suits (mainly because I don't like short sleeve dress shirts or polos.)

I also think that lots of times, the khakis/polo look is exceptionally shlubby looking on a lot of guys.

If you get clothes that fit, it really isn't an issue, and the cost isn't as big a deal as most make it out to be. OP mentioned dropping $600 on bus cas wardrobe items. Since he's normal sized, he could likely buy 4 suits for the same amount of money. I wear suits regularly for work (not everyday, but usually two-four times/week) and I am awkwardly sized and still make do.

One added benefit is that if I do hit up a happy hour after work, especially in a downtown area of a city, there is noticeably more attention from the opposite sex than if I came in wearing Chinos and a polo.
I am not "normal" sized. I'm an extra small guy. I'm 5'6 and 120 lbs with a slim frame. All of my underclothing is sized boys large. My pants are 28 x 30. My shoes are size 8. My neck collar is size 13.5 and I wear shirts that are extra small, extra slim, only sold by Express. I can't fit into mens sized dress shirts or pants at ALL, unless it's Express extra small, extra slim.

Also, I cannot fit into any mens jackets, unless it's Express extra small. I have a North Face jacket that is Boy's Large. Also, all of my shorts are boys large (14/16).

So yeah, I'm a small guy. Wearing business formal attire would be hell on earth for me.

Today, when I grabbed lunch in the cafeteria, I looked around and noticed that there are a few men here and there who are dressed with a full business suit on. It looked VERY uncomfortable and hard to maneuver your arms around, to me.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I agree. Especially if a job might be of a lower function. Something more uniform would make it easier in terms of respect.

Here's a question why does the airline industry have uniforms that look like the navy? Well the reputation of avation back in the day say before ww 2 was of some rural farmhand that would seed the clouds to make it rain.

I don't mind dressing up as long as it is more about the image. If it mandates a long haul trucker to wear a pair of loafers cross country then that makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment