Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 03:31 PM

203 posts, read 190,407 times

Advertisements

My 24 year old cousin dropped out of college to pursue acting in L.A. (but she wasn't able to audition on a consistent basis, due to having to watch after a sick relative). My aunt has passed away, and my cousin is no longer interested in acting or modeling. She wants a professional/stable position. Since she is very pretty, I told her that she could land something good, if she actually visits the employment location and networks in person (since most people are enamored by very good looking people with excellent communication skills).

Long story short, she received information about an available marketing/sales position which pays a base salary of 45k/year (plus commission) and was offered an interview. When I picked her up from the interview, she reported that everything went well, so I wasn't surprised when management called for a reference. I know you are not supposed to give out references for family members, (but she relocated from out of state, and doesn't have professional references).

Two days ago, she received an offer of employment, however one of the mangers asked her to bring in a copy of her diploma. This particular guy it turns out, was upset at my cousin, because she wasn't interested in dating him, but now he is trying to make it difficult for her, because he knows that she did not graduate from college.

When I asked her if she misrepresented herself, she informed me that she just listed the college that she attended, but never stated that she has a BA/BS. I am wondering if the company may decide to rescind the offer of employment, but according to her, the only person making a big deal out of it, is the manager who is sour about my cousin not wanting to date him.

I have told her to ignore him and just show up for the first day of her orientation program, but I'm wondering if this is good advice. As I see it, this guy is not her direct manager and if the company truly required a copy of her diploma, her immediate manager would have asked for her degree.

I have told her that after she begins her employment, to report the manager who keeps harassing her to HR, but I worry that she has lied on her application and will be out of a job.

I really want her to get this opportunity, because I can't continue to pay her way. I am just very frustrated with the situation, because finally she has the opportunity to have a good paying position, but this guy is trying to sabotage everything!

Advice is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,606,043 times
Are you saying the guy who interviewed her hit on her during the interview????

Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,311,162 times
Tell her to show up when they told her to, and ignore this assclown that has the hots for her. Either they hire her or they don't, but at least she tried. If they do hire her, and that dude keeps messing with her, report him to HR.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Are you saying the guy who interviewed her hit on her during the interview????
She stated that he wasn't one of the 3 managers who interviewed her, but he kept staring at her as she walked out of the suite (after the interview). Apparently, he followed her downstairs and asked her out. She declined, but he kept trying to engage her in conversation and asked which position had she just interviewed for. According to her, he then proceeded to brag about his "credentials," and management position at the company.

I am not sure why she told this guy any information about her, but now he is asking for a copy of her degree. She has 3 voice mail recordings from him and 2 email messages. However, her soon to be manager and HR who extended the offer has not asked her to provide a copy of a college degree.

I believe this guy is trying to blackmail her.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
She stated that he wasn't one of the 3 managers who interviewed her, but he kept staring at her as she walked out of the suite (after the interview). Apparently, he followed her downstairs and asked her out. She declined, but he kept trying to engage her in conversation and asked which position had she just interviewed for. According to her, he then proceeded to brag about his "credentials," and management position at the company.

I am not sure why she told this guy any information about her, but now he is asking for a copy of her degree. She has 3 voice mail recordings from him and 2 email messages. However, her soon to be manager and HR who extended the offer has not asked her to provide a copy of a college degree.

If it were me, I would report this behavior to the folks who interviewed her. Job be damned. Maybe they will hire her anyway.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Tell her to show up when they told her to, and ignore this assclown that has the hots for her. Either they hire her or they don't, but at least she tried. If they do hire her, and that dude keeps messing with her, report him to HR.
Yes, this is what I've told her! I believe this guy is full of B.S., because if they truly wanted any documentation from her, the hiring manager or HR would have requested it directly.

I believe he will bring up the topic again, therefore, I've instructed her to ignore him.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:53 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,228,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post

Why doesn't she forward the e-mail on to HR and ask if this is a company request or if he is still interested in dating her?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Why doesn't she forward the e-mail on to HR and ask if this is a company request or if he is still interested in dating her?
That's a good way to let them know what he's done without seeming snitchy.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I think it's best that she forgo creating any waves, before she actually commences employment. I don't want Hr to think that she will file a sexual harassment claim.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,130,453 times
I've never heard of producing a diploma to a prospective employer.

If this guy was uninvolved in the hiring process, she should just ignore him. How did he get her contact information, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment