Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Yes. And here are MANY factors that affect pay within an occupation. You should really do some research and educate yourself.

In other news, professional female basketball players earn less than professional male. The cause is discriminationof course.
Pro women's basketball is MUCH LESS popular than its male counterpart. Women's basketball has lower attendance and lower TV ratings. It is like comparing arena football pay to the NFL. Similar in that they are the same sport but they are different when it comes to their scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:03 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I have been in the position of defending differences in pay and have included any quantifiable factor in a regression. Still, the difference remained. Once a manager said it must be because of performance evaluations. I added that... and guess what, statistically the difference became more worse. Keep in mind I did several equal pay cases for the Gov, have a degree in mathematics (but didn't stick around for a PhD.. they are easy to hire in any case). I can spin the cohort aggregations with the best but even when there is a tight fit it is rare that women come out on top - let alone at a statistically significant level.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Yes, it's real for the women who:
- are less likely to apply for "stretch" roles than men, such as those roles for which they might meet 80% of the qualifications
- are more likely to take time off to birth and raise children than men
- are less likely to negotiate for a higher salary or ask for a raise

I do not believe it's real for all women.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herndonuser View Post
Is the Gender Wage Gap reality or a myth? Your thoughts please!
It's a myth. It's propaganda.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
It's a myth. It's propaganda.
Tell that to my boss who gives men in my department bigger raises then the women every year, even when our accomplishments are similar.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:31 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Pro women's basketball is MUCH LESS popular than its male counterpart. Women's basketball has lower attendance and lower TV ratings. It is like comparing arena football pay to the NFL. Similar in that they are the same sport but they are different when it comes to their scope.
Apparently you didn't sense my sarcasm. Yes, the talent level is lower and therefore the pay is lower.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Apparently you didn't sense my sarcasm. Yes, the talent level is lower and therefore the pay is lower.
Talent is subjective. They play different games. Women's basketball is much more enjoyable if you like the mechanics of the game rather than the dunkfest that is the modern NBA. That and also because of the popularity of men's basketball in comparison to women's basketball as well as the sponsors, that's where the money is.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:12 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Its completely bogus and is a "statistic" used for political purposes only. Men work more hours then women (57% of hours worked in 2013 were by men) and choose different occupations.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:18 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Talent is subjective. They play different games. Women's basketball is much more enjoyable if you like the mechanics of the game rather than the dunkfest that is the modern NBA. That and also because of the popularity of men's basketball in comparison to women's basketball as well as the sponsors, that's where the money is.
Ah. That's what I was missing. The wnba players have better "mechanics." Lol. Ever hear the term "shoot like a girl."? All their good mechanics still couldn't beat a good male high school team. Couldn't score 10 on a NBA team.

And wins and losses aren't subjective. Points aren't subjective. So far no women have been drafted or scored an NBA points, which is why the wnba was created in the first place.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Ah. That's what I was missing. The wnba players have better "mechanics." Lol. Ever hear the term "shoot like a girl."? All their good mechanics still couldn't beat a good male high school team. Couldn't score 10 on a NBA team.

And wins and losses aren't subjective. Points aren't subjective. So far no women have been drafted or scored an NBA points, which is why the wnba was created in the first place.
The average WNBA player is 5'11" with Britney Griner of the Phoenix Mercury standing at 6'8". The average NBA player is 6'7" (one inch shorter than Griner) with Hasheem Thabeet who stands at 7'3" as the tallest. Men have a good 8 inches height on women. That and the two games are different. I think the better reason why the WNBA is payed less is the tv ratings and ticket sales which lead to sponsorships they don't have but the NBA does. This is why I compared it to comparing Arena Football to the NFL because it is the same thing just with no gender issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment