Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 05:13 AM

11 posts, read 16,410 times

Advertisements

The scenario:
So I have some experience being an administrative assistant (and by some I mean 2 yrs working for my fathers small business as his assistant manger and 4 months being a volunteer secretary and 3 being the personal assistant of a well known business owner in my community as volunteer). Due to my duties in these positions and a few other things, my resume is pretty impressive for a 20 yr old.

Now the problem:
I live in Houston Texas and I'd really love to work for an oil company (wouldn't we all), but all of the entry level administrative assistant jobs that I am sometimes qualified for typically say "must have experience working for an oil company".

Fun Facts:
I am in college, enrolled as a full time student, but I've switched to taking all of my courses online to be able to focus more on getting SOME entry level job for the oil industry.

------
What the heck can I do in oil and gas with my experience that's low level? Even if it's not in oil and gas, if you have ANY advice it would be appreciated. I aim to work in supply chain management so I'd need experience *right* now as something other than a janitor.

And by the way: yes, I've googled this. Many of the entry level jobs involve physical labor and lifting heavy objects (especially for entry level supply chain management jobs because these people typically work in a warehouse). I am a 120 lbs female with -10 muscle mass. In terms of a paid internship: There are very few paid internships out there that don't take place in the summer and regardless, I'm nothing special when it comes to academics or involvement in my school.

Last edited by abby_ace; 10-25-2014 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:09 PM

191 posts, read 485,718 times
Networking helps....this is what they say anyway. I live in Houston, Texas as well and I also been trying to break into the oil/gas industry for a couple of years now, I feel like it's a black hole after I submit my resume. Try smaller O&G companies. What school do you go to and what's your major?

Old 10-27-2014, 02:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
I just got my girlfriend a job in the oil and gas field with me. She's 5' and 115lbs. She's classified as an "unskilled laborer."

She does odd jobs. Her primary job is material tracking. When we receive truck loads of materials, she checks them all in. She also makes sure safety barricades are in place, inspects scaffolding, makes up bolts, helping doing random cleaning, trash, etc.

In her position she will have the opportunity to work her way up as long as we stay with this company. A girl hired right before her was in the right place and the right time, and with only a month in a half of experience in this field, got bumped into a position paying $25/hr and $500/wk per diem, working 50-60 hrs a week. She literally had 1.5 months of experience. Her boss quit and they had no one to fill it. Had they of hired my gf first, she would have got it. Oh well.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
I suggest taking up weighlifting to improve your muscle mass.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
My stoner friend from high school goes into big pipes* and cleans them out for $28/hr.
The downside is he has to live in his car in western North Dakota.

*maybe it's big barrels, or those big cylindrical tanks? not sure exactly, but he had to have mandatory claustrophobia training

Old 11-02-2014, 01:08 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
If you are trying to get on with the "majors", you will have very little luck. The majors have their picks of literally thousands of applicants with oilfield experience, so are not likely to look at someone with no experience.

If you try smaller, new, or very specialized companies, you are likely to have better luck. Do tons of research to see who they are, what they do, and what kinds of jobs they have. Armed with that type of info you can plan your applications better and when offered an interview you can carry on conversation about the industry in general that will show how important it is to you to get hired in the industry.

While there are many job openings in the industry, but don't forget that there are WAY more people trying to break into the industry than there are jobs.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:46 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
If you're still in school, see if you can do an internship. Sometimes that kills the networking and experience birds with one stone.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
My hubby started as a GAS PUMPER, washed windshields, checked oil.....that's pretty low-level....he learned the business, and for the last 25+ years, we've owned our own business....lock, stock and barrel...

There's nothing wrong with starting at the bottom, as long as you work your way up!

Learn a trade...big bucks in that!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM

368 posts, read 413,074 times
Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Valero, Tesoro, Shell, Airgas, Air Liquide, Lubrizoil...hell, I could name 100s, all conduct initial battery aptitude testing (mathematics/chemistry/mechanical/workplace behavioral) for hiring groups once, sometimes twice a year, for operator trainees. If you pass the initial test, you may luck out & get an interview. Its a numbers game & pure luck to get an interview if you dont have experience though. I didnt have any refinery experience when I first got in but I did have 20 years of mining & railroad experience & 4 years in the military under my belt. Not to mention a stack of federal certifications, foreman papers & Im a certified EMT. All those companies post these tests via Indeed. Keep your eyes open for them & send a resume. You never know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment