Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
I have an B.S. in Computer Science and an MBA. Why do people hate MBA's? It was certainly harder than my B.S. in CS for sure. I am sure it would be harder than a BA in Management. There are non-MBA's who are also horrible Managers. An MBA does not make a good Manager but I for one feel as though I understand certain caveats about business...most of the work was based on case studies on what works and has failed in the business world. I understand how the various elements of an organization function and why. It opened up a new world for me. It also allowed me to break out of the individual contributor function and into a project management and analytics focused role...with it came a decent increase in the level of pay. However, I have yet to see the steady 120K/yr job as those do not exist anyone unless you go to Harvard.

I had one guy tell me he could learn about all of the following stuff below in a three day seminar which was my 3 year program BTW...not including seminar courses...these are the courses I took.

Managerial Accounting
Operations Management
Economics for Managers
Quantitative Techniques
Financial Management
Compensation and Benefits Analysis
International Management
Legal and Ethical Issues
Human Resource Management
Management Information Systems
OS Information Management
Organizational Behavior

I do now want to break into quantitative analytics but would need a MS in Math, Stats or Engineering...If I would do it again I would not do the MBA but it sure has been valuable...but as for the hatred, I don't get it.
Yeah, and he could also memorize all the scales needed to play guitar in three days, but he isn't going to be able to play lead guitar with Aerosmith either. :-)

I don't know about hate, I think it's more about jealously. Because getting an MBA is expensive and difficult thing to do. And there are still winers out there who believe that you simply get a MBA and with no work experience you are immediately put into a high management position with mid-range six-figure salary with perks.

I'm an IT professional and I think what you have done is commendable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 AM

148 posts, read 182,922 times
I clicked this thread thinking it was about macbook airs!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,535 times
I dislike MBA's because on the Graduate level you should
major in somthing else if your undergrad major is in Business.

If your undergrad major is in somthing else I guess it's ok.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 AM

687 posts, read 915,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Absolutely true---in years past, when the football players couldn't decide on a major, they were shoved into a business adm program, because it wasn't very difficult.

There seems to be some trend to make an MBA into some "super" degree, when historically it's been treated like a degree of last resort, and deservedly so. Any reasonably bright high school senior could get through those classes.
Shhhh, don't tell the Original Poster that. He'll have a fit. Remember, HE studied hard and HE took all the requisite classes and just "learned a ton" of information which qualifies HIM to run a business.

Maybe that 120k/year job hasn't materialized because the OP likes to look down on others and thinks he has some sort of quality which makes him superior to those "lesser people" who didn't take all the same MBA courses.

(and yet there is wonder as to why MBA's are looked down upon?)

Old 10-26-2014, 09:31 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think too many people have MBAs because they thought having one would enable them to get ahead or to even keep treading water in this economy.

I work with people who have MBAs who make far less than I do with my "lowly" liberal arts bachelor's degree. In my field, an MBA is practically worthless unless you want to move into middle management...and even then, it usually only acts as a tie-breaker.

My brother, on the other hand, has an MBA and it was an absolute requirement for the field he wanted to get into. You cannot do what he does without one, at least nowadays. Nobody will hire you. Even with the MBA, he's studying for the CPA because that is rapidly becoming another TLA that you have to add to your resume just to stay competitive.

So...should someone get an MBA? Short answer: it depends. I don't think an MBA would do me any good whatsoever.

Exactly. In some fields, it really is difficult to advance without one. And just taking a handful of online courses isn't going to cut it. Companies requiring someone have the degree are not going to care about what courses you took - they require the degree.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Depends where you get it. Go to Kellogg and you'll have a great shot. DeVry...have fun being a mail clerk.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default Most mbas waste of money

MBAs from for profit schools are mostly a waste of money. I have analysts working for me with MBAs from Devry and University of Phoenix making less than 100k.

There may be more value to online programs administered thru reputable non profit schools but nothing is better than actual classroom time.

I also believe schools that have no real screening and do not require GMAT are suspect at best.

To see significant advancement particularly for those with experience is to seek out top tier MBA program. Full time is always best but not practical for most. I have seen graduates of Booth and Kellogg do well after completing their part time MBA.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:41 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
B/c most of them are a******s from what I've observed.
This.

Ive worked with te public in one aspect or another for the past 30ish years. MBA's are always the ones screaming at you "I HAVE AN MBA!!!"

Old 10-26-2014, 10:55 AM

444 posts, read 582,071 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Most people who do not have MBAs and hate you are basically intimidated by you. This is true of co-workers and friends alike. Personally, I prefer not to work with people who don't have some kind of advanced degree including an MBA.

There's no way MBA courses are more difficult than CS courses at any degree level whether it be BS or MS of PhD. I found your comment intriguing.
In my CS Program I found the Finite Mathematics somewhat difficult but the Statistics easy. I was not really interested in the C Programming and Cobol but really liked SQL Programming. The MBA was more time consuming and required more reading and writing.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:07 AM

687 posts, read 915,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
This.

Ive worked with te public in one aspect or another for the past 30ish years. MBA's are always the ones screaming at you "I HAVE AN MBA!!!"
They have to scream it from the rooftops. What competence do most of them have which would prove their worth otherwise? Maybe if they shout it enough times, as if it's something to admire, then people might start believing that having the accolade produces some sort of value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment