U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM

381 posts, read 385,042 times

Advertisements

I worked for a company that required Shirt, Tie, and Clean Face. The company had an older demographic of employees who stayed for the pension 20-40 years 'lifers.' The company was very conservative and had quite a strong Human Resources presence. We had a lot of policies and procedures that we could have left on the table. At least the dress code kept a quality standard; clean facial hair was OK. I work for quite a large ORG now and some of these dudes walk around with stains on their ****s and kakis, stomach hanging out, etc. Anyway, because the job was in Banking I believe our Audit and Compliance Department rained down on HR quite heavily to keep such quality standards in place. I also learned of old stories of nepotism, etc. You might just uncover a similar past, requirements, or culture where you are now. Heck, even the NY Yankees require players to keep clean shaven yet Boston was known for "fear the beard" in 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,960,268 times
I have seen many people of various occupations with beards, the key is that they keep them neatly groomed. No company wants you looking like a homeless slob.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 AM

7,949 posts, read 3,740,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
My own company is trying to do this now, too. Their reasoning is that men with facial hair look less trustworthy.

What is the impetus behind this tradition
I would be very surprised if that was the actual reason. The reason I have heard most is that it looks less professional. Several jobs I've have had included a no beard policy, but mustaches were allow provided they were well groomed. For example you will see paramedics and police with mustaches, but few if any with beards.

As to tradition, it is just the opposite. In generations past, most men had facial hair, even our presidents. Many also wore hats, but that is gone today as well.
I think the way it would be best described, would be a current social norm.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,449,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Cowards! Dreadlocks are a black thing, and they are afraid of regulating something that applies only to black people.
White guys can get dreads, too.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM

25,430 posts, read 14,518,695 times
Quote:
White guys can get dreads, too.
Yeah but most are hippies who I know from seeing them when I went to university in a mountain town ARE in fact dirty. It you are able to keep them clean and tight, I have no problem with it.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah but most are hippies who I know from seeing them when I went to university in a mountain town ARE in fact dirty. It you are able to keep them clean and tight, I have no problem with it.
That's fine. It makes no sense to ban beards but no dreads. If you can keep your beard clean and tight, it should be no problem.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:51 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,472,063 times
Quote:
I find that many companies with business formal attire emphasize this rule. They all have different reasons. My own company is trying to do this now, too. Their reasoning is that men with facial hair look less trustworthy.

What is the impetus behind this tradition? It's not as if beards look filthy. Especially if they are kept close to the face (aka not like Duck Dynasty). I don't understand the point of companies doing this. Some men look better without facial hair but some need it (like men with a weak chin). I feel like some men are less likely to be taken seriously without facial hair because they may look too "young" and inexperienced when clean shaven.

Anyway, that's my rant. I realize that companies have the right to do whatever they want and that employees are free to leave whenever they want for the same reason. I get that. I just don't really understand why in this day and age, asking a man to be clean shaven makes much sense.

NY Yankees players have to be clean shaven big deal, dont like it play for Mets

Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
NY Yankees players have to be clean shaven big deal, dont like it play for Mets
I feel if I was a Yankee I'd gladly sport the clean shaven. You know, because I'd be a frickin Yankee.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:13 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,462,455 times
the scruffy look is not appreciated in the business world. the 4 seasons are still in--- in the world of business. the same people that ask "why do i need a tie, shirt and shave?" are the same ones that ask "why do i have to clean up my room?". the business community does not want you any more than mommy did. slobs need not apply.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:25 PM

3,581 posts, read 2,706,430 times
It was always a rule for me in dating...but I digress...

I didn't know any companies banned facial hair. I once worked for an organization that had a rule that was something to the effect that men could have beards as long as they were grown in on their days off. In other words, no stubble.

It's not just Corporate America, though. Don't the Yankees require their players to be clean-shaven? And I was watching Bar Rescue last night and John Taffer told a bar owner to shave off his beard.

Being clean-shaven indicated pride in one's appearance. I'm not saying facial hair denotes otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or