U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:59 AM

455 posts, read 1,359,560 times

Advertisements

So what is your biggest pet peeve when job searching?

The is absolutely nothing that pisses me off more than every single, stupid job listing putting the salary down as DOE (Depends on Experience) or 'Competitive'. I want to know how much you're looking to pay (at least a range of no more than $10k, ie - $50k-$60k) before I put in all the effort to write a personalized cover letter, set up interviews, and then find out you're going only going to pay as much as a McDonalds clerk.

I mean seriously, I know all companies out there are money-grubbing you-know-whats' and want to get the best employee for the cheapest dollar, but come on... stop wasting my time and yours.

Or just trying to make it past the HR idiots creating the postings and screening resumes for the perfect candidate. Surprise, surprise, people actually do have the ability to learn new things and don't have to have 'expert' skill sets for everything under the rainbow.

Or the companies that refuse to take a well-formatted resume, and instead make you enter it all into a stupid online form so they can search it more easily.

I hate corporate BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,439,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
So what is your biggest pet peeve when job searching?

The is absolutely nothing that pisses me off more than every single, stupid job listing putting the salary down as DOE (Depends on Experience) or 'Competitive'. I want to know how much you're looking to pay (at least a range of no more than $10k, ie - $50k-$60k) before I put in all the effort to write a personalized cover letter, set up interviews, and then find out you're going only going to pay as much as a McDonalds clerk.

I mean seriously, I know all companies out there are money-grubbing you-know-whats' and want to get the best employee for the cheapest dollar, but come on... stop wasting my time and yours.

Or just trying to make it past the HR idiots creating the postings and screening resumes for the perfect candidate. Surprise, surprise, people actually do have the ability to learn new things and don't have to have 'expert' skill sets for everything under the rainbow.

Or the companies that refuse to take a well-formatted resume, and instead make you enter it all into a stupid online form so they can search it more easily.

I hate corporate BS.

Yup-pretty much all of that. LOL. I always think "competitive" is synonymous for "not much". LOL.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:18 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,446,694 times
Because they know there are millions like us looking for a job or a job change and they can pick and choose who they like.
Yeah, you're right on about the money-grubbing, and they want someone 21 years old, with 20 years experience, who will work for the cheapest rate.
I had one firm make me an offer, you know the "XYZ would like to make you an offer to come work here for $X a year with us." I accepted. When I couldn't move in 2 weeks, after they dragged their butts for 3 months on this, she said, "Oh, we wanted a start date in 2 weeks." I said, "I will have to move, and find a place, and I don't want to make a commitment to start if I don't have a place lined up yet, but I can get that information as soon as possible to you." She said, "Oh, don't worry, we are still interviewing other people..."
I said, "But you JUST MADE ME AN OFFER AND I ACCEPTED IT." She said, "Well, you can't be here when we want." {This is all after they dragged their butts for 3 months on interviewing and even getting back with me.} I realized, she made me an offer I couldn't come through with, they had found someone else.
Bye bye.
They play all sorts of games instead of coming out and just saying they found another candidate.
Most HR people are not accountable for anything. Just try having a problem at work and going to them when you are working somewhere. They play this game of helping you, but they don't. They are like some fancy expensive vase that sits in the corner of the room, but really isn't functionable. Just a name.

I hate corporate BS.[/quote]

Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,966,601 times
I hate when they tell you to apply online then you call and they say, "Oh we don't check it".

Wait what? You just told me in the store... Arggghhh!!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM

791 posts, read 2,695,320 times
It seems like now days you have no personal contact with employers looking for candidates. It used to be you had the phone number and a fax so at least you could follow up or you could apply in person or at least have someone's personal e-mail address. It feels like you are just sending your resume out in space and IF you are lucky you will get a response that you weren't chosen. I believe that employers have no respect for the time people take to submit their information especially the sites that want your employment for the past 10 years give me a break!

I also love going to Monster, Career builder etc... and seeing posts from employment agencies if I wanted to work for those companies I would apply directly but no they have to try to be sneaky about it. I guess I am not too trusting of them due to the fact I worked for an employment agency and they had us post fake jobs to gather resumes, that is just wrong. I am sure they don't all do that but it still makes me think, hmmm I wonder if the job is real??

Looking for work sucks!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,193,214 times
The word "growing" and its variations.
I could see these dang words without even reading the ad because I am programmed to "skim and skip". Had always noticed that the ads which use it are the perennial ones anyway. Guess they can't keep anybody!

The best jobs I've ever had were ones who did not advertise, and I just walked in with a resume in hand at the right time of year. Can't remember the last time looking at ads was remotelyadvantageous, however the last times I've moved, I looked at ads for the places to avoid!

And I avoid the aspiring model types in "human resources" like the plague by calling and asking the boss' name, and going in and introducing myself. If they're young ladies sitting there at a computer screen looking bored, don't even bother. They've never been in the trenches and won't be able to relate to anything on resume anyways.

Last edited by Travel'r; 12-31-2007 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 PM

442 posts, read 1,941,561 times
What I hate most about job postings at my workplace are the "1 day postings". In other words a job will only be posted for 1 day. You can count on the fact that after you see the posting, a new, young upstart will be given the position. Here is what is happening. They found somebody for the job - an attractive, young, giddy person - but must first give internal candidates an opportunity to apply. Our company rules are that internal employees get first choice of appyling for promotions. They put the posting up for 1 day hoping no one will apply. If someone does, they wait a couple of days and then call you to say the position has been filled. The upstart gets the job which was the intention in the first place. Please, no offense meant to any new college graduates looking for jobs. There are some excellent young talented people out there with great skills. My point is only that the company hires youth and looks over experience.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 AM

13,333 posts, read 17,833,710 times
a) Particularly large companies do not have the man power to manually handle resumes. The cycle from requesting addition to head count or filling an open position by the actual hiring manager to bringing the selected candidate on board is run through a database and often interfaces with the large job boards.
You cannot change the system but when you understand it you can make it work for you. With attitudes such as "stupid" or "they hire youth and overlook experience" you will have a hard time. You want a job so sell your best self to the company instead of telling them how to run their shop for your convenience sake.

b) Nothing like a well formatted resume to stay on my desk. If it looks too perfect it is 99% not the candidates handiwork. A short phone conversation generally proves that even given excitement/bad timing the written product and the spoken language do not mesh. Saved a hiring manager valuable time.

c) Dragging their butts could have had a number of reasons. When they made you an offer you were not willing to fullfill a clause of the contract. So - who was dragging butt in the end?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,513,739 times
One of the biggest annoyances -

Experience with XYZ. Such as a listing I pointed to and laughed at this weekend: "Looking for 5-10 years VB.NET experience"

Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,666,859 times
How about this: My wife had an interview with a company and, after the actual interview, she mentioned that her husband (me) was looking for a job in Purchasing. She was told that there was a job opening in that area. When she got home, I looked at the company website and in Careers. Sure enough, there was a job for a Purchasing Clerk......which I could definitely do. I sent the company my resume thru their website. A week later this company called my wife about her interview and I asked this lady about the job in Purchasing that was on their website. She told me that the company did not have a job in Purchasing available. When I told her that the job was on the company website in Careers, she told me again "we have no job in Purchasing available". When I ask her again about this job posting, she told me I sounded like I was being arguementative. I told her that I wasn't being that way, but still wanted to why this posting was on the company website. FINALLY, she told me "the company website hasn't been updated for over a year". I seen no date on the website. To say the least, I got pissed and didn't want to talk to her anymore.
COMPANY'S: KEEP YOUR WEBSITES UP-TO-DATE.....PLEASE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment